Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ripping Library Books
mamamanda 07:11 AM 02-22-2016
My 2 yo dcg is rough with everything. I'm working so hard at teaching her to be gentle, modeling, etc. I've had to replace 3 or 4 library books since November b/c she keeps ripping pages out of them. She really ripped up the "No hitting" book in the midst of her hitting phase. I guess we know how she felt about that subject.

Well, I moved all the books with paper pages to a shelf out of her reach so only my 4 yo can reach. I put the board books at her level. It's been going fairly well, but I got a couple board books with lift the flap pieces this time. (Obviously a big mistake.) Today she ripped one of the flaps off of another book. I don't understand this. My 17 mo looks through them gently, repeats words and phrases he's heard read to him, lifts flaps and puts them back down, etc. No issues. He even flips through the paper books without issue. Why can't I get her to understand how to treat a book? Ugh.

So now I'm just wondering. Do I pay for yet another library book, or do I charge mom and dad for it? I really feel if it happens on my watch its my responsibility, but this is getting old. She's tears up so much and I have to limit everything. It's almost to the point that I'm going to have to stop getting library books, or just keep them in my kids' bedrooms so they are not available during the day at all. I'm so frustrated.
Play Care 07:31 AM 02-22-2016
I would take away her book privilege unless she's in your lap for a story. And no library books for now. I'm a firm believer in not making this job any more difficult than it has to be. So if something isn't working for our group or a child, I don't do it.
That said, I volunteer at our local library part time (because day care didn't keep me busy enough ) and unless books are damaged beyond recognition, we just repair them. I don't know we've ever charged for a damaged children's book - I mean, even when kids are gentle the sheer volume of usage means wear and tear is inevitable.
Thriftylady 07:46 AM 02-22-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I would take away her book privilege unless she's in your lap for a story. And no library books for now. I'm a firm believer in not making this job any more difficult than it has to be. So if something isn't working for our group or a child, I don't do it.
That said, I volunteer at our local library part time (because day care didn't keep me busy enough ) and unless books are damaged beyond recognition, we just repair them. I don't know we've ever charged for a damaged children's book - I mean, even when kids are gentle the sheer volume of usage means wear and tear is inevitable.
I agree! This child would not be allowed books period. The other children would be given an area where they could look at books and this child would not be allowed in that area when books are out. As far as the library books, I would write a letter to the parents stating what has happened, what you are going to do to avoid it in the future, and that if more books are torn up, they will be billed.
Blackcat31 09:03 AM 02-22-2016
Books are available to ALL children in my care.

The type of book available is dependent on their individual behaviors and abilities to take care of the books.

In my program, that little gal would be limited to cloth books only.
DaveA 10:02 AM 02-22-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Books are available to ALL children in my care.

The type of book available is dependent on their individual behaviors and abilities to take care of the books.

In my program, that little gal would be limited to cloth books only.
How I would handle it. The occasional oops with stuff is expected. If she's too rough with them she doesn't need the other books.
Play Care 10:48 AM 02-22-2016
I have cloth books that are accessible to everyone, but I don't consider them "real" books
Josiegirl 10:53 AM 02-22-2016
I keep library books separate from our daycare books and we only read them at certain times. I have enough books and they mostly know to be careful but I wouldn't want even the occasional rip to happen to someone else's books.
mamamanda 11:13 AM 02-22-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I keep library books separate from our daycare books and we only read them at certain times. I have enough books and they mostly know to be careful but I wouldn't want even the occasional rip to happen to someone else's books.
It's so frustrating to me b/c last summer I had a mixed age group of 7 children and we walked to the bookmobile each week and they all knew how to treat their books. It was such a special thing to get library books. We rarely ever had an accident, let alone ripping one on purpose. Now on Mondays I only have one dcg plus my children so I actually took them to the library last week to let them pick out their own books. I thought it would be special and fun and my own children were so excited! It's been too cold to walk to the bookmobile and between sickness and cold weather I've just been picking up library books on my own instead of taking them "to the library." They had a blast and my 4 yo thinks reading new library books is the highlight of the week. He reads them all day long. I read them once or twice and then he "reads" them from memory almost verbatim. My 17 mo does the same thing on a much younger scale with the board books. They read constantly throughout the day. I just don't understand why I can't get this little one to understand how to treat a book. Or anything else for that matter.
I'm thinking I will have to put them on a special shelf like you suggested and just allow my older ds access to them one at a time.
Josiegirl 02:19 PM 02-22-2016
I love when kids get a kick out of 'new' books from the library! I remember that as a high point from my own childhood and from my own kids too. It was always a treat. For daycare now, a lady comes once a week and drops off a bag of books to us from the library and we all get so excited about them. And most of my dcks I'd trust handling them but after seeing a 3.5 yo dck write in my dc books during naptime(he'd write his name so I knew it was him, gonna grow up to be one of those 'stupid criminals' we hear stories about Lol), watching a 4 yo dcg bend a board book right over so it was ruined, and misc. other treatment, I have to be more careful now.
So now I have our library books totally separate, our really good books on a different shelf where I can more closely monitor them and then all the other run of the mill been read a million times books out where the kids can read them at will. I still try to teach respect of books but at least when we lose a book now, it's usually not a big loss.
Unregistered 05:23 PM 02-23-2016
Hmmmmm.....I have a different take on this. I've always had a dedicated book corner area and books out. My kids too have always basically treated book carefully. That said, I don't think it's unusual for a two year old to rip a flap book. It's really a typical kid thing to do! I wouldn't trust two's around a flap book....basically ever.

I would only put out board books for this child. When I have had all two's and under I only have board books out. I watch very carefully when I have older kids that the younger ones do not get a hold of the regular books.

Am I the only one who doesn't think it unusual for a two yr. old to rip a book or rip off tabs?
Thriftylady 06:16 PM 02-23-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hmmmmm.....I have a different take on this. I've always had a dedicated book corner area and books out. My kids too have always basically treated book carefully. That said, I don't think it's unusual for a two year old to rip a flap book. It's really a typical kid thing to do! I wouldn't trust two's around a flap book....basically ever.

I would only put out board books for this child. When I have had all two's and under I only have board books out. I watch very carefully when I have older kids that the younger ones do not get a hold of the regular books.

Am I the only one who doesn't think it unusual for a two yr. old to rip a book or rip off tabs?
I think it is normal for it to happen occasionally and accidentally, but that is not what is happening with this child. This child is being destructive.

Also I know my problem has always been mixed ages. A five year old can look a library book where I wouldn't allow a 2 year old to alone. But the 5 year old is very apt to not put the book away, leaving it out for the 2 year old. That is the other half of the problem.
m.kids1301 03:51 AM 02-24-2016
I've had some book rippers too... Now that I'm on this Paths to Quality program our state has, I'm supposed to make books available to all the kids all the time. I have a book rack on the wall, but I don't want all my books torn up!!! So I got some indestructible books which I ordered on Amazon, that I keep in that rack. They are toddler books made of a material that does NOT tear!!! I had one long ago when my older daughter was little, but I couldn't find them in stores here any more. Those books are great, and although they are wrinkly now, not one of them is torn!
Reply Up