Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Military Licensing
LaLa1923 08:01 PM 01-27-2013
Why is it so difficult to find information on becoming military licensed.? Is anyone here licensed by the military?
Michael 10:50 PM 01-27-2013
I think Breezy is.
Lavender 08:02 AM 01-28-2013
We are a military family and my mom has run Child Development Centers for the military since I was in 2nd grade. Your best bet would be to call the Child Development Center of your local base and ask to speak with the FCC coordinator.
Meeko 10:01 AM 01-28-2013
I was licensed on an Air Force base when I first started out (Altus AFB, Altus OK).

I contacted the base childcare center and talked to the home provider person. We had to meet Oklahoma state licensing laws, plus military rules. As the care is being provided in government housing, there were a bunch more rules.

This was over 25 years ago, so things may have changed a lot. At the time, we had to have a mental evaluation each year by the base mental health dept!!! I said we'd had to be a little bit nuts to do this job anyway

We had a few more inspections each year than I have had since. Fire dept came unannounced several times a year as did enviromental health as well as licensing and food program.

The military is a bit more paranoid about childcare done on base.

But I didn't find it bad really. All the inspectors were nice for the most part and visits were short and sweet.
Unregistered 12:30 PM 01-28-2013
I need to register because I am such a lurker....anyway....

I am currently licensed as an FCC provider in Japan in the Air Force. I do not know what branch you are in, but it will difficult either way. There is a huge crack down from the DOD because one branch of the military was not doing background checks properly and cases of abuse started popping up. This means that coordinators have to go every piece of paperwork. My advice is to start gathering your information: high school diploma (they do not accept college diplomas), three business references, talk to the fire, health, and safety dept about getting your inspections ready and make sure you are up to date on immunization records, first aid/cpr, and food handlers.

As for daily life, we have typical standards: Menu by USDA guidelines, my base enforces the creative curriculum, monthly unannounced inspections, monthly meetings, etc. If you are off base, you will have this in addition to state standards. If you are in the US, you can actually participate in the food program.
Tags:military
Reply Up