Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Military Providers
FCCarmyprovider 09:23 AM 03-15-2014
Anyone else think that the rules and regs for the military child care is just insane or what. Ive been doing this for almost a year and I think its great they have these procedures in place for the worst case scenario but now a new rule is that to wash the toys in the the dishwasher we must now use a mesh bag for laundry. I don't understand how this affects the kids?
Rant over..
KidGrind 12:07 PM 03-15-2014
Yes.

My procedure is to smile and nod. The regulations are bananas. The family style dining is the thorn in my side. I am a multi-age home. You want me to let the infants starve or sit down with the toddlers and stuff my face.
pandamom 02:12 PM 03-15-2014
not a home provider, but work at the CDC.

I dislike the family style dining too! We end up with kids who take half the bowl of food while they serve themselves while we're helping another child for a split second.

ALso the 13 steps of changing a diaper and the 14 steps to properly deal with potty training kids-ugh!
Meeko 08:10 PM 03-15-2014
I started daycare many years ago on an Air Force base. Obviously things haven't got easier!
FCCarmyprovider 02:39 AM 03-16-2014
I was starting to think I was the only one who felt this way. Honestly I strongly dislike the family style dining bc my big butt doesn't really fit too well. oh well the military doesn't care if we fit into the furniture made for babies just that we run it their way.
I was shocked when I first started this job bc I knew there would be rules but good grief! Oh well at least this job lets me stay home with my daughter and son on the way. No one wants to hire a preggo lady lol
FCCarmyprovider 02:41 AM 03-16-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
Yes.

My procedure is to smile and nod. The regulations are bananas. The family style dining is the thorn in my side. I am a multi-age home. You want me to let the infants starve or sit down with the toddlers and stuff my face.
I tried multi-tasking with the eating with a six month old and needless to say she dumped to bowl on the ground. The toddlers served enough food to feed a third world country and I didn't eat. lol
KidGrind 06:04 AM 03-16-2014
Originally Posted by FCCarmyprovider:

I tried multi-tasking with the eating with a six month old and needless to say she dumped to bowl on the ground. The toddlers served enough food to feed a third world country and I didn't eat. lol

A trainer from another command came in to observe me. One of my dings was I didn’t wash a four months olds hands at the bathroom sink after a diaper change.

She told me, “Your diaper changing method is excellent. Except you didn’t wash the baby’s hands.”

“Wash the baby’s hands? He didn’t touch or grab anything during the change. I wiped his hands with a baby wipe.”

“His hands have to be washed in a sink.”

An hour and a half later I smell something. I pray it’s one of the older children. Nope, it’s the baby. My mind races during the whole changing process about how I am going to wash his hands. The holding of him and getting his tiny hands other the sink. I decide the kitchen sink would be the best. The faucet is longer, less leaning over.

“_______ glad to see you listen and I appreciate your hard work. One thing it has to be the bathroom sink.”

I smile and thank her. Really I wanted to say, “This is group care. I get hygiene and safety standards. Yet, this SOP for diaper changing a baby and then washing their hands in a bathroom sink is ridiculous. The other DCKs are out of my line of sight. The time it takes me to wash DCB's each hand while trying not to drop him is unsafe for all involved. DCB is four months he doesn’t rub his hands together or put them under the faucet.”

However, I followed my normal procedure of smiling and nodding.
KidGrind 06:05 AM 03-16-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I started daycare many years ago on an Air Force base. Obviously things haven't got easier!
Harder and harder, you should see the paperwork involved and my parent board not one of my DCPs read.
Scribbles 08:06 AM 03-16-2014
Yes.

I love family style eating. I think the kids eat better and are more positive about meal time. I also think that there is no substitute or replacement for the role modeling that is done by the adult at the table. The kids learn and use manners so much better when meal time is done family style.

So many kids now days don't get that experience at home anymore so I love that I get to be the one who provides that experience for them. I really believe it makes a lasting long term impression on their over all attitudes about eating.

I was starting to think I was the only one who felt this way. Honestly I strongly dislike the family style dining bc my big butt doesn't really fit too well. oh well the military doesn't care if we fit into the furniture made for babies just that we run it their way.
I was shocked when I first started this job bc I knew there would be rules but good grief! Oh well at least this job lets me stay home with my daughter and son on the way. No one wants to hire a preggo lady lol
lol! about not fitting in the chairs. I bought an old wooden dining chair at a yard sale. I sawed the legs off so it was shorter and use that at the table. All the kids know it is Miss M's chair and best of all it's comfy and my butt fits!
KidGrind 08:14 AM 03-16-2014
Originally Posted by Scribbles:
I love family style eating. I think the kids eat better and are more positive about meal time. I also think that there is no substitute or replacement for the role modeling that is done by the adult at the table. The kids learn and use manners so much better when meal time is done family style.

So many kids now days don't get that experience at home anymore so I love that I get to be the one who provides that experience for them. I really believe it makes a lasting long term impression on their over all attitudes about eating.
I think it’s great that you love family style eating.
FCCarmyprovider 12:32 PM 03-17-2014

A trainer from another command came in to observe me. One of my dings was I didn’t wash a four months olds hands at the bathroom sink after a diaper change.

She told me, “Your diaper changing method is excellent. Except you didn’t wash the baby’s hands.”

“Wash the baby’s hands? He didn’t touch or grab anything during the change. I wiped his hands with a baby wipe.”

“His hands have to be washed in a sink.”

An hour and a half later I smell something. I pray it’s one of the older children. Nope, it’s the baby. My mind races during the whole changing process about how I am going to wash his hands. The holding of him and getting his tiny hands other the sink. I decide the kitchen sink would be the best. The faucet is longer, less leaning over.

“_______ glad to see you listen and I appreciate your hard work. One thing it has to be the bathroom sink.”

I smile and thank her. Really I wanted to say, “This is group care. I get hygiene and safety standards. Yet, this SOP for diaper changing a baby and then washing their hands in a bathroom sink is ridiculous. The other DCKs are out of my line of sight. The time it takes me to wash DCB's each hand while trying not to drop him is unsafe for all involved. DCB is four months he doesn’t rub his hands together or put them under the faucet.”

However, I followed my normal procedure of smiling and nodding.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. My director was coming in to do a "pre-inspection" before the big inspector guys that come from stateside come to do the inspections she said now go wash the babies hands. This baby is a 6 month old chunk I had no idea how to juggle all of that tubs while washing her hands. Honestly I think we need like 8 hands to do this job. Most of the rules are inconceivable. Our newest rule here is that we have to assist every child with turning on the faucet water bc they might put it on too hot. I already have my water heater set to where the kids cant make it that hot, but you know sure Id love to help an 8 yr old wash his hands lol
Unregistered 03:42 AM 03-18-2014
I am a thorn. I know the regs inside and out. So when they come up with new rules I demand proof. Last year they wanted us to have fruit at every meal. And we couldn't use the se thing twice in one week. So if I served bananas for breakfast Monday, I couldn't serve a banana for the rest is the week. I had to Convince them to let me make banana bread or use it as an ingredient. We live overseas, we are not allowed to use food off base and i havent seen a freah peach or plum in two Years. In the end, the rule never stuck.
KidGrind 04:37 AM 03-18-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am a thorn. I know the regs inside and out. So when they come up with new rules I demand proof. Last year they wanted us to have fruit at every meal. And we couldn't use the se thing twice in one week. So if I served bananas for breakfast Monday, I couldn't serve a banana for the rest is the week. I had to Convince them to let me make banana bread or use it as an ingredient. We live overseas, we are not allowed to use food off base and i havent seen a freah peach or plum in two Years. In the end, the rule never stuck.

Previously when I was told something I’d go with the flow. At my latest location, I am, “I’d like to see the regulations in regards to that instruction.”

9 out of 10 times they don’t produce it. I get, “Oh we were told blah, blah, blah.”

My reply, “Great when you receive it in black & white I’ll get right on implementing the instruction. Until then I’ll follow the instruction in hand.”

I fall under the most inept, dysfunctional CYS system I’ve ever encountered.
FCCarmyprovider 01:42 PM 03-18-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We are also overseas in Germany for about another year we have the same rules as no buying off post, but I never heard the two fruit per week rule. The menus they provide us are pretty unrealistic. I don't really want to even try half the foods they ask us to make.
FCCarmyprovider 01:44 PM 03-18-2014
I just wish the regs were more standardized. Like to the providers I have spoken with in the states they talk about all these different regs ive never heard of and it usually varies from state to state. Its crazy.
KidGrind 11:16 AM 03-19-2014
I just wish the regs were more standardized. Like to the providers I have spoken with in the states they talk about all these different regs ive never heard of and it usually varies from state to state. Its crazy.
They are suppose to be standardized. The AR 608-10 is what we should all be following. The issue at hand is you have some of the CYS Coordinators power tripping and making up their own standards, which in turn defeats the purpose of the standardization.:roll eyes:

There are awesome CYS Coordinators and FCC Directors, I’ve met them. Gems to learn and grow with. Yet, I am now stuck in purgatory. I will be getting my state license to say, “Adios!"
Unregistered 07:14 AM 03-20-2014
We are also overseas in Germany for about another year we have the same rules as no buying off post, but I never heard the two fruit per week rule. The menus they provide us are pretty unrealistic. I don't really want to even try half the foods they ask us to make.
They give you a menu? We make ours quarterly. Though, I have to change it up because sometimes the commissary is out of yogurt or I have fruits and veggies go bad within a few days. I am in Japan. Do you have those issues in Germany?
pandamom 10:50 AM 03-20-2014
Here's another one! I dislike
FCCarmyprovider 11:38 AM 03-20-2014
Yes we can choose to make our own menus but the director prefers us to go along with the standardized menus. The food here goes bad like the day after you buy it. And there is almost never any yogurt sells out very very fast.

Plus we are on a very small base and there isn't enough kids to go around for all of these providers our director keeps adding.
KidGrind 11:46 AM 03-20-2014
Yes we can choose to make our own menus but the director prefers us to go along with the standardized menus. The food here goes bad like the day after you buy it. And there is almost never any yogurt sells out very very fast.

Plus we are on a very small base and there isn't enough kids to go around for all of these providers our director keeps adding.
I need yogurt in my life. My DCKs could live without it.

My director doesn’t want to certify any more providers. Both CDCs are full in our area and waiting lists looooooong. We have a lot of unauthorized childcare going on.
Tags:family style meals, military, military providers, regulations - crazy
Reply Up