Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>After School Care
sharlan 07:43 AM 11-02-2011
Our local schools charge $35 a week for afterschool care. That's less than $2 an hour. I just found out that the local YMCA charges $10 a day for low income.

Home daycares cannot compete with these rates.
Country Kids 07:44 AM 11-02-2011
We have an organization that is something like $50.00 a year!!!!!!
LittleCrawfishCC 07:46 AM 11-02-2011
I totally agree!!!
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Our local schools charge $35 a week for afterschool care. That's less than $2 an hour. I just found out that the local YMCA charges $10 a day for low income.

Home daycares cannot compete with these rates.
Our YMCA charges $9.00 for after school care (3 pm - 6 pm) and $7 before school care 6 am- 8 am) No meals or snacks are included in any of those time slots.

They provide care on No School days for $26 per day (6 am- 6pm) The day usually involves some sort of activity or field trip but if it involves any type of cost to enter somewhere like the water park or a museaum, then the parent has to pay additional for that. The kids also have to brown bag it on those days.
Meyou 07:48 AM 11-02-2011
It's the same in my area but I don't think it's that much of a problem. There are always families that want smaller ratios and more supervision than school programs or boys and girls club can offer.

My neice attends a large AS center near her school. It's 10 to 1 ratio with 40-50 kids there per day. Sure it's cheaper.....but she also had a concussion a few weeks ago that went unnoticed for several hours.
sharlan 08:29 AM 11-02-2011
For most parents struggling to get by, it's all about $$$.
AfterSchoolMom 08:44 AM 11-02-2011
We don't have an super cheap programs like that, but parents here still complain about rates. I think that's the reason why I didn't get any after schoolers this year - it's hard when there are discount providers in my area driving down the full time rate to $80-$100 per week when I charge $50-80 for B/A care.

I had one recently that complained about a $10 per day rate to have their child dropped off at 6:20, fed breakfast, and taken to school. Needless to say, that child is not here.
Tags:after school care
Reply Up