Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pets and Day Care Kids
sly red cid 07:08 AM 08-22-2013
We have a dog that divorced daughter brought home when she came back. It is one of the best animals ever---I never let my three have a dog even thought they would have given a arm for one---I did poop and puke for a living didn't ever want one 24/7. The dog is mostly inside and is very well behaved with kids and all others...does not like her tail or haunches touched(maybe from plane ride abuse from Guam). So the DCBs in particluar have been a little too affectionate and now I crate the dog during all but nap time for a few min. to go outside.My problem is that the kids get too close to the crate and or put fingers through the screening......dog barks/growls. I've just posted a note on my door about not being responsible for any injuries as a result of the kids being inside dogs space.What else would any of you do? I know lots of you have pets/dogs. This dog is a dream dog or she would not have been allowed to even come with said daughter(we are trying to help her refind her way after a too young too short marriage).Thaniks for all ya'lls help.
MamaBearCanada 07:15 AM 08-22-2013
We have a dog here who is great with children but they are never left unsupervised with the dog. The note doesn't mean anything in terms of liability coverage. If you are being paid to supervise the children and one of them sticks their hand in the crate and gets hurt then the authorities (and probably parents) will be blaming you for lack of supervision. It is not a child's responsibility to keep themselves safe from harm.

Perhaps you could crate the dog in an area gated off from the children or keep him behind closed doors? I love dogs and I would hate to see this end badly for you, the dog or a DCK.
Heidi 07:17 AM 08-22-2013
My shih Tzu has become less and less tolerant due to rough toddlers. He is sweet with adults and older kids. I now separate him when the kids are up and loose.

My guess is a note disclaiming liability will not protect you. Put a barrier between the dog crate and the kids or move the dog to another room.
NeedaVaca 07:29 AM 08-22-2013
If I put a note like on my door I can guarantee I would lose all my families. Ultimately when the children are in my care I AM responsible for them at all times. You need to keep the dog and kids completely separated to keep them safe. I LOVE dogs but my job to keep kids safe comes first.
Familycare71 07:33 AM 08-22-2013
My dogs are all crated away from the dck. The kids also do not have acres to their crates.
The sad news is if a dck provoked your dog and it bit chances are you would be required to put the dog down. Not to mention liability for the injury.
shelby 11:32 AM 08-22-2013
my dog is locked in the laundry room are she is with my 16 yr in her room while the dc kids are around. Our dog grew up with babies so she is used of someone pulling her tail and what not, but I don't want the kids being mean to her. So she gets locked up! LOL
WImom 11:38 AM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by shelby:
my dog is locked in the laundry room are she is with my 16 yr in her room while the dc kids are around. Our dog grew up with babies so she is used of someone pulling her tail and what not, but I don't want the kids being mean to her. So she gets locked up! LOL
I'm the same way. My dogs are not allowed in DC space because I want them to continue loving kids! 8 Preschoolers and two dogs are probably not a good mix.
Cat Herder 11:38 AM 08-22-2013
I have dogs, too... Crate behind baby gate or behind locked door.

In the eyes of the law you are responsible for the actions of the dog AND the kids in your care. Interestingly enough... this occassionally applies to the uninvited adults who happen to pass through your yard. Crazy world...
craftymissbeth 11:43 AM 08-22-2013
As a parent, if I saw a sign like that on my daycare's door I'd cut my losses and pull immediately. I would definitely take the sign down and simply move the dog somewhere else.
MotherNature 12:22 PM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
We have a dog here who is great with children but they are never left unsupervised with the dog. The note doesn't mean anything in terms of liability coverage. If you are being paid to supervise the children and one of them sticks their hand in the crate and gets hurt then the authorities (and probably parents) will be blaming you for lack of supervision. It is not a child's responsibility to keep themselves safe from harm.

Perhaps you could crate the dog in an area gated off from the children or keep him behind closed doors? I love dogs and I would hate to see this end badly for you, the dog or a DCK.
This. Our one yr old Golden Retriever will bark whenever anyone comes in, but the kids are able to go see her somewhat. She licks the kids' hands and accepts food from them, but she's so boisterous and jumps, so she stays behind a secure gate & has the kitchen to herself during daycare hours. All my parents know my dog, and know she's a barker, not a biter, but we still tell everyone not to go near dogs when they're eating, etc.
daycarediva 05:26 PM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
As a parent, if I saw a sign like that on my daycare's door I'd cut my losses and pull immediately. I would definitely take the sign down and simply move the dog somewhere else.
For sure!

op- you are liable. No matter what. If it were that easy, we would all have 'we are not liable for any injuries sustained to the child while in X day care" and I wouldn't carry insurance.

protect the kids, your business and your dog. Separate completely, 100% of the time.

Also, it's hard to reconcile 'dog is great with kids' with 'barks/growls at them'.
Willow 06:19 AM 08-23-2013
If you care about the dog, protect it.

I care about my dogs, so I keep them completely separated from my daycare kids.

If the dog were to bite, you could and likely would be sued and the dog most definitely would be put down. Your sign would not protect you as keeping a dog crated but still within reach of small children would *not* be considered exercising reasonable caution.

Think about it like this, if you put pills in a crate but still within reach of the kids in your care could you relieve yourself of the liability of that situation with a note on the door?

How about a loaded firearm?

A dog is first and foremost an animal. With teeth. They are living beings that can be pushed too far. To protect yourself and the dog that's grown on you lol, please move her to a different room the children do not have access to.
jenn 06:24 AM 08-23-2013
Do you have a separate room the dog could stay in during the day, like a bedroom that the kids do not have access too? That way the dog doesn't have to be locked in a cage all day, and the kids would have no access to it to stick fingers in or taunt it in any way. That way the dog is happy and safe, and the kids are safe.
Willow 06:36 AM 08-23-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
For sure!

op- you are liable. No matter what. If it were that easy, we would all have 'we are not liable for any injuries sustained to the child while in X day care" and I wouldn't carry insurance.

protect the kids, your business and your dog. Separate completely, 100% of the time.

Also, it's hard to reconcile 'dog is great with kids' with 'barks/growls at them'.

Sounds like the dog is experiencing something called barrier frustration.

The best dogs in the world with kids can get snarky when confined. It's why many dogs will go nuts at the door, fence line or when someone passes their crate. If the dog sees it as the threshold of "their" den or property most will defend it.

Far too many people (not you, just speaking generally!) see their dogs as human. They are a part of our families and we forget they have no sense of right and wrong. At the end of the day, as much as we love them, they are just animals.
LK5kids 06:41 AM 08-23-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
My shih Tzu has become less and less tolerant due to rough toddlers. He is sweet with adults and older kids. I now separate him when the kids are up and loose.

My guess is a note disclaiming liability will not protect you. Put a barrier between the dog crate and the kids or move the dog to another room.
Right, I had a lawyer state disclaimers do not hold up in court.
LoraJenkins 10:08 AM 08-23-2013
I have my German Shepherd kept completely away from all DCKs. She stays in the kitchen behind a permanent baby gate. And when we have to go into the kitchen for preschool work, snack or lunch she automatically goes into her crate. She stays there until all kids are back behind the gate, I don't even have to say a word. This is how she was trained from the beginning. She is a sweet dog and loves children but, any dog can and will bite if pestered too much. KWIM
AmyKidsCo 04:37 PM 08-23-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
If I put a note like on my door I can guarantee I would lose all my families. Ultimately when the children are in my care I AM responsible for them at all times. You need to keep the dog and kids completely separated to keep them safe. I LOVE dogs but my job to keep kids safe comes first.
I totally agree. I'm not a dog person so if my DCP posted a sign like that we'd be out of there.
Familycare71 10:56 PM 08-23-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Sounds like the dog is experiencing something called barrier frustration.

The best dogs in the world with kids can get snarky when confined. It's why many dogs will go nuts at the door, fence line or when someone passes their crate. If the dog sees it as the threshold of "their" den or property most will defend it.

Far too many people (not you, just speaking generally!) see their dogs as human. They are a part of our families and we forget they have no sense of right and wrong. At the end of the day, as much as we love them, they are just animals.
Agree 100%!!!
Flexmama 06:52 PM 08-24-2013
Put your dogs crate in a bedroom with the door or somewhere with a shut/locked door so the kids cannot get to the dog.
I have a yorkie, all my parents know about him. He is extremely laid back and never shows an ounce of aggression. With the parents permission, I let him stay out. I only have 4 kids at a time, all of which have dogs at home so they treat him good.
However, if my dog ever started to show signs of aggression he would be put in the bedroom with the door shut while the kids where there. Same goes if a parent become uncomfortable with it. Home day cares are tricky, you want it to be how you like it but at the end of the day it's a business and you need to make sure you're making your clients happy too.
Tags:pets in daycare
Reply Up