Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cost Breakdown
Thriftylady 04:33 PM 08-20-2015
Has anyone run the numbers? I hate to admit it but I need a way to show people I am not making that much. I have another post on here where PT parent thinks $20 a day for a rotating day during the week is to much. I am looking for a way to show people that I am not making that much money on that. If I figure 25% for taxes, that brings it to $15 a day. Take off another say $1 per meal (not on food program) for three meals (one is a snack) per day, that brings me down to $12 a day. Take off for electric, water, paper, ink, craft supplies, preschool supplies, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc. How do I show them I am only making $1 or so an hour? I am not making much! Parents seem to think I get that whole $20 a day.
Michael 05:00 PM 08-20-2015
Some more threads on the cost of daycare: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...+of+child+care
spedmommy4 05:07 PM 08-20-2015
I would imagine those would be unique to each family childcare. For example, I run a large family childcare in California. I am required to have an assistant so I have to pay wages, employee taxes, and workmans comp I also pay for childcare insurance, frog street press curriculum, supplies, etc. I have a budget but I don't necessarily think that parents need to know what it entails. I tell parents that tuition covers more that just my pay, and it isn't negotiable. :-)
Blackcat31 05:08 PM 08-20-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Has anyone run the numbers? I hate to admit it but I need a way to show people I am not making that much. I have another post on here where PT parent thinks $20 a day for a rotating day during the week is to much. I am looking for a way to show people that I am not making that much money on that. If I figure 25% for taxes, that brings it to $15 a day. Take off another say $1 per meal (not on food program) for three meals (one is a snack) per day, that brings me down to $12 a day. Take off for electric, water, paper, ink, craft supplies, preschool supplies, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc. How do I show them I am only making $1 or so an hour? I am not making much! Parents seem to think I get that whole $20 a day.
Parents dont care how much (or how little) you earn or how much it costs to operate.

Parents care how much they have to spend.

I think its a common thought process.

I dont care how much Target profits each year.

I only care how much I have to give them for my toilet paper.
Blackcat31 05:13 PM 08-20-2015
Heres a good article I think every business owner should read...

http://vividandbrave.com/price-justification-stop/
Annalee 05:14 PM 08-20-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Parents dont care how much (or how little) you earn or how much it costs to operate.

Parents care how much they have to spend.

I think its a common thought process.

I dont care how much Target profits each year.

I only care how much I have to give them for my toilet paper.
I agree with this...I don't discuss my finances from my daycare. If a client wants my services they will follow my contract/policies. If not, they will move on to another daycare of their choice. My motto is...if a client wants your services, they will make it work!
Josiegirl 04:13 AM 08-21-2015
Wait. What?? This isn't just fun money for us??? I wish.

I agree with BC. They only care how it affects them and you should never feel like you need to explain yourself, your rates or where it goes.
Thriftylady 04:18 AM 08-21-2015
You know that is true. They can either pay my fees or move on!
Josiegirl 04:23 AM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
You know that is true. They can either pay my fees or move on!
Exactly!!! Maybe, if you're having a difficult getting clients because they're looking for ultra cheapo dc, you could offer extras, such as yoga, basic Spanish or ESL, to help attract them? Just a thought.

I cannot imagine living in an area that cannot afford to pay daycare. Does the state help at all? Or is there little funding in that area? Here, our subsidy rates are more than what I charge but I've heard terrible rates from some states.
Thriftylady 04:36 AM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Exactly!!! Maybe, if you're having a difficult getting clients because they're looking for ultra cheapo dc, you could offer extras, such as yoga, basic Spanish or ESL, to help attract them? Just a thought.

I cannot imagine living in an area that cannot afford to pay daycare. Does the state help at all? Or is there little funding in that area? Here, our subsidy rates are more than what I charge but I've heard terrible rates from some states.
The state does help, but there are not many home providers that even bother with it. The requirements seemed way above the licensing requirements when I first reopened and called about it. Also, they don't pay for absences at all, at least in my county as it is done by county here. Part of the reason I stayed a class B home (legally unlicensed), the only reason to become licensed was to take state pay and have four more kids. Heck I can't even get my six all at once lol. Most centers here do take the state payments, but none of them are open late I am open later right now at least to get on my feet. I am also far cheaper than a center, but I think they are full mostly of subsidy kids.
rosieteddy 05:57 AM 08-21-2015
You owe noone an explaination of what you make.Pick a fee ,charge it and make no exceptions .I found it much easier to have a fee schedule.We in Ma.make a lot per day and week.Re gardless I would decide what you want to make weeklyat least $50.00(I can't imagine) thats $10.00 per day .IF someone wants 4 days $45.00 .3 days $40.00,2 days $35.00 ,1 day 20.00.What is minimum wage in your area? Your contract should be that you are paid regardless of attendance(sick,vacation days ect).I can not see how this would be worth it otherwise.Good Luck.
Thriftylady 06:06 AM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
You owe noone an explaination of what you make.Pick a fee ,charge it and make no exceptions .I found it much easier to have a fee schedule.We in Ma.make a lot per day and week.Re gardless I would decide what you want to make weeklyat least $50.00(I can't imagine) thats $10.00 per day .IF someone wants 4 days $45.00 .3 days $40.00,2 days $35.00 ,1 day 20.00.What is minimum wage in your area? Your contract should be that you are paid regardless of attendance(sick,vacation days ect).I can not see how this would be worth it otherwise.Good Luck.
My contract does say I am paid regardless.
rosieteddy 07:44 AM 08-21-2015
That is great(that you have that in your contract) .I USED TO JUST GIVE THE CONTRACT AFTER THEY SIGNED UP.i HATED TALKING THE MONEY SIDE AT FIRST.i ALWAYS FELT i HAD TO JUSTIFY MY FEE.tHEN i CAME UP WITH THE RATE SHEET IT REALLY HELPED.iF PRESSED i TOLD CLIENTS THAT A THIRD OF THE MONEY WENT TO TAXES AND ANOTHER 3RD WENT TO FOOD AND EXPENSES. i LIKED TO HAVE everything in writing.(sorry about capitals didn't look up)
Tags:cost of child care
Reply Up