Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kitchen Table full
jojosmommy 10:18 AM 02-09-2011
I need more room at my kitchen table. I have 6 kids now and 5 highchairs- the kind that attach to my wooden chairs. My chairs are low compared to the table so until a kids is 4 or so they can't sit in the wooden chair alone and reach appropriately.

Does anyone have their kids sit on their knees? I feel like that wouldnt be comfortable.

I am starting a new one in 1 week and need a big kid chair for her.
I have considered getting a regular highchair and using that for the baby and then let this bigger one have the wooden chair with no highchair but we don't have a lot of room for a permanent highchair in our kitchen.

The only other option I can think of is getting a bench that slides under the table to pull out at lunch. Has anyone used a bench for older kids and what are the pros/cons? I can imagine a bit of wiggling at first but I think it would be better than a folding chair.... What brands work best or where did you find one? I havent been able to find one except a custom $$$$$ one.
AnythingsPossible 10:25 AM 02-09-2011
I used a bench before we bought a counter height table. The wiggling wasn't much of an issue, you just have to figure who you can and can't sit by each other. I had a bench that was intended for an entry way with room for baskets under it. I have seen table sets at Kmart with benches. You could just buy the bench part and not the whole set. I have also seen them at Big Lots, but we don't have one of those near us..don't know about you!
DBug 10:28 AM 02-09-2011
I ended up getting two benches from Ikea for my table ($110 Canadian each). I have two regular chairs that I can use for booster seats, and then 3 stackable Ikea high chairs that I store and bring out as needed.

Going from 8 chairs to benches has been such a good change for us! The kids (depending on their size) start on the benches at about 24 months. They can sit on their knees if necessary, but none of them really need to to reach the table. My kids are quick eaters. They probably spend a maximum of 15 minutes at a meal, snack or during craft actually sitting at the table, so they tend to stay put. And we don't have the tipping-of-chairs problem that we used to have.

I have had one or two fall off of a bench, but nothing serious. If anything, they slide rather than fall, and it's much less traumatic than a having a whole chair fall over along with the child (since the bench always stays put).

And of course, the best part is only having to put two benches and 2 chairs to put up when I wash the floor, instead of 8 chairs .
WImom 10:35 AM 02-09-2011
I did a bench with my old table and did what you said (Slid it out at lunch/art). It worked great.
lil angels 10:42 AM 02-09-2011
I have a little tykes picnic table that I will add on days I need it and then send it back out when I don't.
happykidschildcare 01:29 PM 02-09-2011
My set is also from ikea its really long with the ext you can seat 12 adults, but we dont use the 2 ft ext except for big holidays. On somedays I have to seat 12 kids. I have benches on both sides that seats 4 each 2 chairs on the end ( that I can booster on if needed) and 2 roll up rubbermaid highchairs on the other end. Which I found on craigslist new in box got 2 for $60, a steal since they are over $200 each on ebay.

Pro's...seats many, easy to clean.

Cons... must remind older kids that sit on benches to sit on thier bums not their knees or they will end up falling off.
and get furniture gliders or the small circle disc and put on the benches feet or you will get lots of scratches on your floor.
Sunny Day 01:51 PM 02-09-2011
I use stackable restaurant highchairs--they're available at any restaurant supply place and they are awesome--not very expensive, durable and safe! I've never tried benches because I'm so afraid of the kids falling backwards off them (I do have all young ones though, under 3). I would also think having the kids sit on their knees might be a falling hazard....Sorry I'm not much help! I think if I was in your position, I would buy a regular highchair for the baby and just deal with the storage issue for now--Story of a daycare providers life!
Sunny Day 01:52 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
I have a little tykes picnic table that I will add on days I need it and then send it back out when I don't.
This is also a good idea--do you find the kids fight over who gets to sit at the little table though?
ammama 02:18 PM 02-09-2011
Mine all sit on wooden chairs, at a regular height table and sit on their knees. None have ever complained that it is uncomfortable, and my 7 year old DD would still sit that way if we let her. You could always buy little chair pads to make it a bit more comfortable if you're worried about it. I love not having highchairs/boosters in my kitchen anymore
happykidschildcare 02:54 PM 02-09-2011
our kitchen area
mac60 03:43 AM 02-10-2011
I have a bench and 2 chairs I use. I can seat 5/6 kids on 2 ends 1 side. I also have 2 high chairs if needed. My kitchen is very small. I do not allow the kids to sit on their knees, as I have laminate floor in the kitchen and they tend to flip the chairs over from not sitting properly in them. You can pick up a bench at Pamida, or other small dept stores.
DCMom 04:54 AM 02-10-2011
I have two benches, one on each side and two chairs at each end with booster seats. I also have two highchairs for babies. They don't 'graduate' to the benches until they can sit on their bottoms. Actually I move them from a booster seat to junior chairs that I got from IKEA, then to the bench.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30090476

Everyone loves the junior chairs, they would be happy if I had 10 of them
Tags:table, table - full
Reply Up