Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mom Breastfeeds Baby Entire Nap Time So Baby Will Sleep...
Babybear911 01:01 PM 10-01-2013
Omg! So I have a little person here go screams and flips out entire nap time.
I finally asked Mom how she gets baby to sleep at home. She proceeded to tell me she breastfeeds baby the entire nap time to keep baby asleep!!!

Wtf!! Now what! I asked her "wonder how baby will ever nap here?" No response!

Parents can be so irresponsible I can't even believe it.
Advice? Suggestions??
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 10-01-2013
Give mom fair warning that she has xxx number of days to sleep train child for child care.

If those days come and go with no improvement, then you will need to term or deal with it.

Parents have a responsibility to help prepare their child for child care....how exactly does this mom expect you to do what she does to get child to sleep?

I've been in this same situation and as a group family care provider, it's important that parents understand what I expect their child to be able to do and not do.
littlemissmuffet 01:42 PM 10-01-2013
I agree with Blackcat - put it back on the mom, this is HER child.
Give a time limit, if baby doesn't adjust and imrpvoe accordingly you need to either accept it or term...
Unregistered 02:11 PM 10-01-2013
I make it clear to ALL my parents, the child goes by the daycare schedule. At nap time they are all down. Right now I have a two year old screamer who has been home with a relative, and this is her 4th week. At nap time I put her in the furthest room so she doesn't disturb anyone, but she has improved quite a bit.

Easy for us to say term, but from experience there are often other problems with someone else you pick up, so I usually weigh everything.

My advice would be to pick a quiet room so the baby doesn't disturb anyone, and this is where they learn to self sooth which is very important. Go about your normal schedule, you are not on the mother's schedule.
Cradle2crayons 02:16 PM 10-01-2013
Originally Posted by Babybear911:
Omg! So I have a little person here go screams and flips out entire nap time.
I finally asked Mom how she gets baby to sleep at home. She proceeded to tell me she breastfeeds baby the entire nap time to keep baby asleep!!!

Wtf!! Now what! I asked her "wonder how baby will ever nap here?" No response!

Parents can be so irresponsible I can't even believe it.
Advice? Suggestions??
That's one reason I ask very detailed questions at interview about nap time etc.
I require all children under 5 to nap and they have to be sleep trained if not previously.

I would do as suggested and give mom xx days to sleep train the baby or I would terminate care.
wabbittrouble 06:23 AM 10-02-2013
Been doing this for 20 years. I put them in a room they won't disturbe someone else in and let them just deal with it. Only takes a week or two before they figure out that they need to sleep and that's that. I have a new baby starting in a couple of weeks and I know the Mom is having a hard time getting him to sleep because every time he makes a peep she's in there. It just doesn't work well that way. I'll have him trained and happy within two weeks.
crazydaycarelady 07:02 AM 10-02-2013
I have a dcgirl in the same situation and she is 2 YEARS OLD! Dcm picks her up each day and takes her home for nap!
Unregistered 07:57 AM 10-02-2013
Exactly, you don't let the children train you.

Those of us who have done this many years successfully.. realize it makes all the difference.
renodeb 10:30 AM 10-02-2013
I agree, that mom is doing a that child a great disservice by turning her breasts into pacifiers. The baby needs to learn self soothing. I would give mom so much time to sleep train and of no improvement I would term. Its not worth the stress.
Deb
Familycare71 10:34 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Give mom fair warning that she has xxx number of days to sleep train child for child care.

If those days come and go with no improvement, then you will need to term or deal with it.

Parents have a responsibility to help prepare their child for child care....how exactly does this mom expect you to do what she does to get child to sleep?

I've been in this same situation and as a group family care provider, it's important that parents understand what I expect their child to be able to do and not do.
I had to term a baby before because mom just wouldn't help at all and it wasn't fair to the little one, me or the other dck
Jack Sprat 01:04 PM 10-02-2013
This is like the little guy I have now. He is rocked to sleep and I think nursed as well. Nap time is getting easier but, today he seemed to regress a bit.

As a parent I get where this mom is coming from. I am guilty of doing it at nap and night time. I just wanted to sleep! I didn't care how I got it just as long as I got it!

Now that the shoe is on the other foot. It frustrates me to no end.
Reply Up