Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maternity Leave Ending And Adding New Baby...WWYD?
marniewon 12:37 PM 12-02-2010
I'll try to keep this short. I have a 18mo dcb that I interviewed with when he was an infant. Dad was laid off at the time, so I never started watching him until he was 10 months. I watched him for a few weeks and then dad got laid off again. Got him back in June when he was 13mo and had him until middle of last month when mom had a baby. He was 3 days a week all that time, except for the month or so before mom had a baby, he was down to about 1 day a week. Dcb and new baby brother will be coming back here, 3 days a week starting Jan 5.

First, since they interviewed so much earlier before he started, I think the parents forgot most of the things in my handbook. Like paying before care not after (she pays every 2 weeks, and once or twice it went beyond that without pay). Even though they are on mat. leave, I'm not charging her to hold the spot. My reasoning was, we had bought a house in a different area, and thought we were moving at the beginning of the new year, so I wasn't going to charge her to hold the spot and then move before they came back. Now we're not moving until spring, so I'm kicking myself for not having her pay something. I already told her she didn't need to pay to hold the spot, so I don't really think I can go back on that now.

Since I'm going to be writing up a new contract for this family, since I have to add the new baby, should I try to transfer over to pre-pay? How would I approach that with them? I don't want to wait until they start, as I don't think that's enough time. I also want to enforce my 3 day min. rule, which for the most part wouldn't be a problem with this family, as they usually come 3 days a week. So I want to incorporate both these "new" rules but not sure how to go about it. I have been "talking" to mom through texting, so that line of communication is still open.

What would you do in this situation? I really love this board - even if I don't agree with all the ideas, I do get a lot of them, and a lot of times will get a perspective that I never even thought of
momofboys 01:26 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
I'll try to keep this short. I have a 18mo dcb that I interviewed with when he was an infant. Dad was laid off at the time, so I never started watching him until he was 10 months. I watched him for a few weeks and then dad got laid off again. Got him back in June when he was 13mo and had him until middle of last month when mom had a baby. He was 3 days a week all that time, except for the month or so before mom had a baby, he was down to about 1 day a week. Dcb and new baby brother will be coming back here, 3 days a week starting Jan 5.

First, since they interviewed so much earlier before he started, I think the parents forgot most of the things in my handbook. Like paying before care not after (she pays every 2 weeks, and once or twice it went beyond that without pay). Even though they are on mat. leave, I'm not charging her to hold the spot. My reasoning was, we had bought a house in a different area, and thought we were moving at the beginning of the new year, so I wasn't going to charge her to hold the spot and then move before they came back. Now we're not moving until spring, so I'm kicking myself for not having her pay something. I already told her she didn't need to pay to hold the spot, so I don't really think I can go back on that now.

Since I'm going to be writing up a new contract for this family, since I have to add the new baby, should I try to transfer over to pre-pay? How would I approach that with them? I don't want to wait until they start, as I don't think that's enough time. I also want to enforce my 3 day min. rule, which for the most part wouldn't be a problem with this family, as they usually come 3 days a week. So I want to incorporate both these "new" rules but not sure how to go about it. I have been "talking" to mom through texting, so that line of communication is still open.

What would you do in this situation? I really love this board - even if I don't agree with all the ideas, I do get a lot of them, and a lot of times will get a perspective that I never even thought of
When you give her the new contract paperwork I would just highlight the areas of your contract that have changed. My contract states very clearly that payment is due in advance at the beginning of the week or on the first day that care is normally given. When you hand her the new contract tell her you have highlighted the important changes & let her know if she has questions to ask.
marniewon 02:53 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
When you give her the new contract paperwork I would just highlight the areas of your contract that have changed. My contract states very clearly that payment is due in advance at the beginning of the week or on the first day that care is normally given. When you hand her the new contract tell her you have highlighted the important changes & let her know if she has questions to ask.
I wonder if I shouldn't draw up the new contract now and mail it to her? I really don't think I will be seeing them until they start back here after the holidays.
momofboys 02:57 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
I wonder if I shouldn't draw up the new contract now and mail it to her? I really don't think I will be seeing them until they start back here after the holidays.
I would. You don't want her to be surprised about the pre-pay part.
Tags:filling spots, maternity leave, wwyd
Reply Up