Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Average Length Of Enrollment?
PitterPatter 10:25 AM 06-06-2011
I was just wondering what the average length of enrollment is for children in home daycares. I have had a child here as long as 3 years before going to school and another as short as 6 months but the average for me seems to be 1-2 yrs before I grow tired of issues or the child goes to school or they move etc. I only take toddlers and up as it would be too difficult to manage infants and toddlers in our active program. I know some of u have had children from birth and Kudos to u! I just wanted to get an idea of what the turn over rate is or the average length of time kids are enrolled in your daycare.

With many parent issues I know a lot get termed due to no fault of the children and others vice versa or both. I have been debating for a couple months now on terming a family. It would leave me with 2 children, both from the same client so I would be working for 1 client only. I just don't feel like a daycare when I only have a couple kids in care. There aren't many calls for daycare here because there are just TOO many home providers plus all the centers and head start etc. So this has been effecting my decision on the term. I never know when the spot will get filled. So I guess another question is does this ever effect your decision on terming?
Blackcat31 10:30 AM 06-06-2011
When I first opened the length of each child's enrollment was dependent on how long their parent held a job or went to school. For some it was a few months and for others it was a few years.

Now that I have honed my interviewing skills and been better about matching specific families to my program, I am proud to say that each child I currently have in care (12 total) have been with me since they were babies. I keep them from 12 months (birth if they are a currently enrolled) until end of 1st grade.
jojosmommy 10:34 AM 06-06-2011
I have had one client since shortly after I opened 2 yrs ago and one that just started 3 weeks ago. I have termed 2 families after 8 months- both in March but different years ironically. Winter itch maybe. Another family I termed after 9 months. The other kids in care have been here 1.5 yrs.

And yes I always think about the rest of my group and how it will affect them/me.

I prefer not to term but some issues are non-negotiable and some people just wear on you. I always feel guilty afterward, until the first day they are gone, and then I feel so relieved I remind myself I should have done it earlier.
lil angels 10:38 AM 06-06-2011
It really varies for me I have had kids from birth till school and I have had a couple that were only with me for a yr. There is so many things that come into play. I think it would affect my decision on terming someone if I only had 2 family's I would be nervous that the other family would leave to if they didn't have any other playmates at your place. I would start looking for someone else before I termed the family if possible unless they are horrible people.
momofsix 10:44 AM 06-06-2011
I have been so blessed. All except for one family that I enrolled as a temporary job (one year), all of my families have stayed until/after their child(ren) started school. I've never had to term anyone and no one has ever quit on me. Truly amazing in these crazy economic times!
It would make me nervouss to term and only have one family left, but we depend on my income to survive.
WImom 10:58 AM 06-06-2011
I start at 2y and up and I don't take schoolagers so it's anywhere from 1-3years depending on the age when they start.
nannyde 11:00 AM 06-06-2011
I figured it out a couple of years ago and it was three years eight months. If I average in the kids I have now it would probably be around three years and ten months.
Crystal 11:08 AM 06-06-2011
I rarely have a child leave before they begin school and they start with me as infants. I have had kids here for as many as 11 years. I probably average around 5 years.
nannyde 11:23 AM 06-06-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I rarely have a child leave before they begin school and they start with me as infants. I have had kids here for as many as 11 years. I probably average around 5 years.
That is an amazing average especially with you guys having so few below age two slots to feed into the over two slots. You should be VERY proud of that... it's saying a LOT in this economy too.

Having them into school age really helps especially when having sibs born into the day care. I rarely ever get sibs. Once the second one is born it's too expensive to have two here.

I feel for the ladies in Canada. Their window of opportunity is SO small. Age one to 3.75 to 4 depending on the age they enter JKindy. I would hate my job if I didn't have these kids for schnittle mook on up. I want the HISTORY of the five years with them. That's what makes me the happiest.... more than anything else about this job.
Christian Mother 11:24 AM 06-06-2011
When I started I was a Nanny and I was with them for 4 yrs. Diff. type of situation of course. But as a home daycare provider my first started when he was 3 months and he is now just over 2 yrs of age. I had a little guy start over a yr ago when he was 10 months. He is 20 months now. I had a little girl that was just for 6 months as per our agreement until mom was able to get some help. The grandparents had there grandchild and acted as guardian until the court was able to deem mom was better and can care for her daughter. I also had one start with me at just a yr and 1/2 and he was here for a yr. They where just termed on Fri. On going parent issues. First time term. I have a couple that are part time and they've been with me for 6 months now.
dEHmom 11:29 AM 06-06-2011
my first family was only here about 2 months. but they were from a different town, and mom realized that between the gas, daycare (2 kids) and the hours her work was messing around with, she wasn't making any money, so she ended up finding a job in the town she worked in.

i went on vacation for 3 weeks to BC, Canada and when i came back put my ad back up, and within a few days filled my spot with a wonderful little girl, and she was here for 9 months until mom went on mat leave. so far 9 months is the longest. I'm good friends now with that family, and when mom decides to go back to work, she definitely will see if i have any spots open, but she would need for 2 kids, and right now i cannot predict if i'd have openings or not.
AfterSchoolMom 11:33 AM 06-06-2011
Mine is 1-3 school years. I had a couple of littles for about 3 months this year though, and I've had a couple of SA's leave or start mid-year.
jen 11:36 AM 06-06-2011
I'm with Crystal...

The vast majority of my kids come as infants and leave as schoolagers. In fact, this is my last summer with my 11 yo dcb and his 7yo brother...they have been with me since the youngest was 6 weeks.

My average is right around seven years of care.
DCMom 11:37 AM 06-06-2011
Most of my kids come to me as infants and leave as various school ages depending on the age of their siblings. So average, 7/8 years.

Then they come back (on a select basis). Every summer I have one or two that have technically 'aged out' but want to come back in the summer as helpers a few days a week to fill in between camps and play dates and other stuff that the older kids do.
kimsdaycare 11:46 AM 06-06-2011
I still had my very 1st dcg until last year, she was a baby when she started and just turned 13! Nearly all of my first group are now teens and have reconnected on facebook lol.

Typically I get them as babies or toddlers and they continue to come either after school or for summers until they are about 10 or so. The rare times I lose them earlier than this is usually to a move out of the area.
Blackcat31 12:06 PM 06-06-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Most of my kids come to me as infants and leave as various school ages depending on the age of their siblings. So average, 7/8 years.

Then they come back (on a select basis). Every summer I have one or two that have technically 'aged out' but want to come back in the summer as helpers a few days a week to fill in between camps and play dates and other stuff that the older kids do.
I have that happen too! Some of the best helpers I have ever had have been previous dck's. They know how we roll so it is nice!!

Originally Posted by kimsdaycare:
I still had my very 1st dcg until last year, she was a baby when she started and just turned 13! Nearly all of my first group are now teens and have reconnected on facebook lol.

Typically I get them as babies or toddlers and they continue to come either after school or for summers until they are about 10 or so. The rare times I lose them earlier than this is usually to a move out of the area.
That is fantastic!! My first dck started with me when she was 3. She called me last summer and asked if I had room for HER baby!!! I about died! Where did all the time go?!? It was a nice compliment though that she thought of me for her own child. I didn't have the availability at the time but I see her often and she asks regularly so I am sure I will have her son soon enough.
AmandasFCC 12:20 PM 06-06-2011
Well I just opened up 2 years ago. I lost my first kid ever last August because Mom had another baby and decided to stay home. If she hadn't decided to stay home I'd have both of them now.

I still have 2 of my first, their second anniversary will be early next month.

Otherwise I've had a lot of turn over with my 4+ group, never due to unhappiness, but because of moving, losing jobs, or termination (I've termed 2 four year olds for out of control behaviour) ....

We'll see how my average works out when I have room for babies again
youretooloud 12:24 PM 06-06-2011
Usually four years. Most of my kids go to a certain Preschool at age four. I love this, because I'm really not set up for five year olds. I do have a few part time four/five year olds though.

90% of my kids come to me at under 12 months.
Crystal 12:37 PM 06-06-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I'm with Crystal...

The vast majority of my kids come as infants and leave as schoolagers. In fact, this is my last summer with my 11 yo dcb and his 7yo brother...they have been with me since the youngest was 6 weeks.

My average is right around seven years of care.
awww Jen, I went through the EXACT same thing last summer. My 12 year old and his 7 year old brother moved on. They had been with me since the oldest was a baby. It's really hard to let em' go after so long.
sharlan 02:04 PM 06-06-2011
My longest was 15 yrs, yes 15 YEARS. I got her at 3 days old - unexpected adoption and Mom was able to take some time off two weeks later. She will be 17 in August and still comes over a couple of times a week for dinner. I got her older brother at 2 weeks and kept him until he turned 16 1/2 and started driving himself to school.

I would say for the most part, I had most of my kids for about 3-4 years.
Rachel 11:29 PM 06-06-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
That is an amazing average especially with you guys having so few below age two slots to feed into the over two slots. You should be VERY proud of that... it's saying a LOT in this economy too.

Having them into school age really helps especially when having sibs born into the day care. I rarely ever get sibs. Once the second one is born it's too expensive to have two here.

I feel for the ladies in Canada. Their window of opportunity is SO small. Age one to 3.75 to 4 depending on the age they enter JKindy. I would hate my job if I didn't have these kids for schnittle mook on up. I want the HISTORY of the five years with them. That's what makes me the happiest.... more than anything else about this job.
Here it's even shorter.

Daycare is enrolled for the school year, using approximate cut-off dates the school year uses (here it's end Dec.). Gan (preschool) starts at 3 (so anywhere from 2 years 9 months - 3 years 8 months), so that's the longest you keep the kids. Some people specialize in one age and have a new group every year, some start them as babies and keep the same group for 3 school years. The organization I am working with asked me to take 1 year olds next year because there is someone local who does babies, but doesn't take 1 year olds. I am basically taking her group. I hope to keep them for 2 years and then cycle again, we'll see.
laundrymom 03:21 AM 06-07-2011
I interview 90% of mine pregnant, visit them in the hospital, and get them between 4-12 weeks. I keep them until school age. I prefer not to keep school ages anymore but in the past ive kept them until about 5/6th grade. When their parents decide they are old enough to stay by themselves. I do love my job. I stay friends with the families. I actually mailed out 3 graduation cards yesterday. 3 more of my sweeties are out of highschool. ( man I am getting old) lol
morgan24 03:48 AM 06-07-2011
Most of the time mine start as infants and age out when they go to school. I did one year of 1/2 days of preschool and kindergarten until they changed to all day kindergarten. It helps that I'm in a small town and at one time there were 6 licensed providers and now there are only 4. Once people get into care they stay.
jen 05:37 AM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
awww Jen, I went through the EXACT same thing last summer. My 12 year old and his 7 year old brother moved on. They had been with me since the oldest was a baby. It's really hard to let em' go after so long.
Thanks. This goodbye is especially bittersweet. The family actually moved a couple of months ago but Mom wanted them to have some time to say goodbye to their friends here. In July they will start at the new school's summer program, which I know will be good for them. Meeting new friends before the school year starts is really for the best but we will miss them.
daycare 08:09 AM 06-07-2011
I only take 2 and up, so mine are all usually here until they leave for school.

However, due to the economy, a lot of families are moving out of expensive SF to cheaper places. A lot of my families have moved out of state in teh last two years. Right now most of my kids have been here about 1.5 to 2 years. Only one has been here for 3 and he will be leaving us for kindy in the fall....
momma2girls 08:23 AM 06-07-2011
My shortest enrollment was 2 days, and the longest was 5 yrs.
Tags:length of enrollment
Reply Up