Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question From An Employee Of Mine...
gkids09 11:55 AM 07-29-2011
She raises her grandson, who is in 5th grade this year. Her son (the grandson's dad) lives with them, but doesn't seem to have much to do with the family matters...She has mentioned that he comes home from work in the afternoons and goes straight to his own bedroom and closes the door for the night.

He doesn't live there freely, she gets part of his paycheck, but she is still basically raising his son. The mother isn't in the picture, and has been in prison 95% of the kid's life. From what I have seen of him, he's a very sweet kid, but sort of immature.

She told me this morning when we were outside with the kids that she needs help getting her grandson to play on his own. She said he just hangs on her allllllll the time, to the point of her getting upset and fussing at him. It's not that she doesn't pay attention to him, they go on trips and do things together all the time. She said this weekend they went to see her daughter (his aunt) and get him some school clothes, and the grandson just stood around and stared at his grandmother so much that his aunt asked her why he did that.

What she wants to know is, how can she get him to entertain himself without constantly needing her by his side? She doesn't want to yell at him or make him upset because she seems like she doesn't want to be with him. It's not that at all; She just wants some time alone too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tags:activities, needy, stimulation - activites
Up