Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do?
pfund2233 10:44 AM 09-01-2011
I was just wondering what some of the rest of you do in some of these situations.

If a child dosen't eat any lunch do you let them have snack?

How Long do you let your children nap?

If your own child is ill do you close or just keep your child in their room?

Do you allow parent's to pre pay for daycare (like 6mo in advance)?

Just wondering... THANKS!!
Blackcat31 10:48 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by pfund2233:
I was just wondering what some of the rest of you do in some of these situations.

Yep. You cannot without food for punishment. EVER.

Until they get up.

My kids are young adults so sorry, can't answer this one.

Yes. Alot of my college mom receive childcare grants through the college and simply sign the whole check over to me and I start a running balance for them. I don't really care how far in advance soemone wants to pay me. I just put it in a separate account and withdraw weekly as if I am just being paid. A lot of moms in the past have pre-paid me a few months in advance at tax time too.

My answers are in red.
daycare 10:51 AM 09-01-2011
On the first question I am confused? what do you mean do you give them snack?.
jessrlee 10:53 AM 09-01-2011

Yes, I'm on the fp so I have to. But I make sure it is a veggie snack not a carb or fruit.

As long as they want or till 3pm

My dd is 10 so she can handle most of it herself. My daycare is also on a different floor so she can lay on the couch.

I haven't ever been asked, but I would allow it with a contract that states no refunds for any reason.

momofsix 10:55 AM 09-01-2011

1. yes,they still get snack it's against licensing regs for me to withhold food

2. We go down around 1 and most I wake up around 3:30 b/c I have some parents coming then.

3. Only closed for a sick child once-that was mainly b/c I was tired from being in the ER all night long.

4. Yes, I have one family do this.
godiva83 11:07 AM 09-01-2011
1- never with hold food from children, would I offer a substitue lunch if the child didn't like it? Nope- they eat what they are offered, I don't force them but they have to try and they always find something

2- as long as they need to-- unless it is nearing pick up time

3- my hubby usually spends the day with my DS he is only 1.5 years and I am in the daycare room

4- never had to face that issue, but I think I would asking as I stated no refunds and was organized about it
pfund2233 11:40 AM 09-01-2011
Thanks for the input!!

About question 1. I have a 2yr old that refuses to eat lunch. I have told the parents this and they said "Well then he don't get snack." I'm thinking MY HOUSE... MY RULES. The kid gets a snack!!!

About question 2. My kids are napping 3hrs while here... I thought that was too much but parents haven't said anything about them not going to bed.

About question 3. See I just keep mine (9yrs old) in their rooms but one DCM threw a fit about this and said I should close. I notified her (and the other parents) my daughter would be home sick and it was their choice on bringing their child or not. She brought her kid then gets mad at me for not closing?? I'm confused!!!

About question 4. I have a family that wants to pay me 6mo ahead and didn't know how to handle it but do now!! Thanks!!
Meeko 11:57 AM 09-01-2011
I had a mom who once wanted to give me her $3000 tax return toward day care for the year. I told her that if she did, she had to be SURE she was staying with me. I told her I intended to use the $3000 towards something like landscaping on my home. So in other words, she couldn't come to me a month later and tell me she was leaving and wanted her money back, or that she was tight on funds and needed some of it back. In short...no refunds.

She ended up giving me $1000 of it instead. She stayed for 6 years though!!!
Christian Mother 01:38 PM 09-01-2011

I normally don't have issues with a child not eating there lunch but I still give snack. All snacks however are good for them and not junk food. I do my snack shopping at sprouts and pick up snacks there so there healthy like fruits veggies, cookies. It helps to not worry that snack is good for them. I start this as early as i can so they don't question it. There has been times where a child won't eat their veggies and I will either let it go depending on what they've had a big lunch or say they flat out refuse to eat it and throw it on the ground. I had that yesterday and guess what snack was....a diff. kind of veggie. I want to make sure my little's are getting all there fruits and veggies in them. And I try to make it fun too.

I have one under 2 and he is still taking 3 hr naps but I wake him at exactly 3 hrs. He still is kind of sleepy but 3 hrs is enough otherwise he won't fall a sleep til later in the night 4 his parents. The rest take a 2 hr nap and naps here are mandatory. They don't have to ashually sleep but they do need to be quietly reading or resting.

My child are normally not ill in fact my son ever yr gets a certificate for never missing a day of school. My daughter hasn't either but she goes to school 3 days out of the week. If she is unwell she is usually on the couch with her blanket or in her room sleeping. I don't close unless it's a ER situation. The parents will be notified with the option that they may bring but if it is contagious and she needs med's then most times they will kep there child home. It says in my hand book that they must have back up care although sometimes my husband will be here to help as extra pair of hands. So far I haven't needed to use him for that...it's normally me and I am usually sick a couple times a yr.

I've had a parent prepay for a couple of weeks and I've been fine with that however, bc I don't charge for days a child is not here I just keep track and let them know what they need to pay for the next following week.

These are great questions hope I was able to help some!!
Crazy8 05:43 PM 09-01-2011

Not sure I understand, our lunch is at 12:15, snack at 3:30 so YES, they still have their snack. But would I give a snack at 12:30ish if they don't eat their lunch - NO.

How Long do you let your children nap? up to about 2.5 hours - they usually go down about 12:45, but I will do 12:30 if its a day they all seem tired. If any are still sleeping at 3pm I will go in, open blinds, turn on lights and just slowly get them up. Parents have issues with them sleeping at night if I let them sleep too late.

If your own child is ill do you close or just keep your child in their room? Just keep them away from daycare children, they have their rooms or the family room to lay around in and watch tv.

Do you allow parent's to pre pay for daycare (like 6mo in advance)? Had one who would pay 4-5 weeks at a time, and I was ok with that but never had more than that and probably wouldn't. I never want to be in a situation where I have to return money and afraid if they paid too far out that would be the case.

posted my answers in red.
Tags:nap length, pay in advance, payment in advance, prepay, snacks
Reply Up