Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default After Nap Activities

I am in need of ideas for the kids after nap. They always seem to be in such a funk after nap till they leave at about 5pm. They have a great time before we rest and then they seem to be lost after they wake up. I have kids coming home from school about 330 and othe children starting to randomly leave so I would rather not get out paint and messy fun stuff. What ideas do others have for later afternoon activities? Free play doesn't seem to keep them busy.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

I do a second circle time after snack

I allow about 15 mon free play from 3:45-4:00 then add another ten minutes for clean up. So I normally get it up and running at 4:15.
We sing
Read
Dance
Do show and tell
We also always have a hand puppet friend and some times a puppet show.
We do other things like animals in a bucket. Let one child pick one out of the bucket of pretend animals. Let all of the kids act out like the animal that was pulled from the bucket. Do this until every child had a turn

Some time we color at the start of the circle time and then I allow the kids to do a show and tell with their pictures!

I love doubt it this way. Parent grab their child And usually leave quickly. If they have questions they can email me or call after hours. Noting drop off too.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Uh boy...my DCK's are usually in a funk after nap too. They'd rather be SLEEPING!!! I usually have them finish up whatever project we started that morning. All the painting would be done already and anything too complicated, I'd tidy up while they're napping.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:48 PM

Mine get a snack and diapers, etc, and then we head outside until pick up. Morning mess is already cleaned up, and that way we don't have to do it again. Exception is rainy days

My sister only opens the sandbox in the pm. That way, it's a bit of a novelty AND she doesn't have sand in her house and beds...
Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 PM

When the kids wake up the do seem to be in a funk for about 15min. I just wake them one after another and then wash hands, bathroom breaks and then we get ready for snack...usually a popsicle..they love them..specially since the weather is still hot. After a snack parents start coming and it's around the time that we are finishing up snack and the last kids either start doing puzzles or play doh or coloring or we go out side. It just depends on the weather really and if the kids are out of control with energy.

Tags
activities, activities - after nap