Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mirror For The Playroom?? Unbreakable?
Crazy8 07:15 AM 07-20-2011
Do you have a mirror for the kids? without buying something expensive from a daycare catalog, what options are there for safe/unbreakable mirrors to use in the playroom.
I almost bought those mirror circles that you stick on the wall but I don't know how safe they are either (like if a child pulled one off the wall?).
Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?? I'd like to put something next to my dress up bin.
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 07-20-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24391

In this thread, the picture shows a blue mirror attached to the wall. It has been there almost 10 years and it has never been broken. It is one of those $5 ones from Wal-mart. I also have one in the bathroom and it has been there (unbroken) since I purchased the house 17 years ago.

I do know that our local Home Depot carries mirrored sheets of a plex-i-glass type product that I think is similar to those fun house type mirrors. I do know they are marketed as unbreakable. I had planned on replacing mine with that product when mine broke but it hasn't happened yet so...

Crazy8 09:31 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24391

In this thread, the third picture shows a blue mirror attached to the wall. It has been there almost 10 years and it has never been broken. It is one of those $5 ones from Wal-mart. I also have one in the bathroom and it has been there (unbroken) since I purchased the house 17 years ago.

I do know that our local Home Depot carries mirrored sheets of a plex-i-glass type product that I think is similar to those fun house type mirrors. I do know they are marketed as unbreakable. I had planned on replacing mine with that product when mine broke but it hasn't happened yet so...
hmmm.... I would have thought if something like that was kicked or something it would break. maybe not?
Childminder 09:39 AM 07-20-2011
I too can't afford the plexi mirrors from the daycare supply stores and have been searching craigslist to no avail. I have thought of getting a door mirror and covering it with clear contact. Would that work, do you think? At the headstart class room they just have door mirrors and I wondered about the safety issue. I'll check out the Home depot costs or go to a local plexiglas dealer and see what they cost, thanks blackcat.
SilverSabre25 11:12 AM 07-20-2011
My thought is to get a cheap regular mirror in a frame and get a piece of plexiglass cut to fit on top of the mirror, just inside the frame. Use super glue or something to permanently affix the plexiglass to the mirror. INstant unbreakable mirror at much more affordable prices than the ones from the school suppliers.
Littleowlfamdaycare 11:26 AM 07-20-2011
Ikea has a fun children's mirror it has an alligator frame and I believe it's unbreakable.... only around $29 I believe.
Blackcat31 11:36 AM 07-20-2011
FYI, my $5 mirrors are super flexible and have been kicked, hit with toys and generally abused and they are still good as new.

My DH doubts they are actually real glass mirrors but simply a plex-i-glass type product similar to the high end stuff. He took my mirror before he installed it to the wall and practically folded it in half and it didn't break so I feel comfortable having it where it is.
GotKids 03:49 PM 07-20-2011
walmart sells some that are 12x48 and unbreakable. I paid 5 for it this week to use in our dress up area. I was considering getting another for the infant area and laying it on its side so my crawlers can look in the mirror.
Crazy8 04:48 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by GotKids:
walmart sells some that are 12x48 and unbreakable. I paid 5 for it this week to use in our dress up area. I was considering getting another for the infant area and laying it on its side so my crawlers can look in the mirror.
thanks. I avoid Walmart like the plague but I'll go there for this.
GotKids 05:21 PM 07-20-2011
in that case target sells the same thing for the same price
Crazy8 05:43 PM 07-20-2011
not what I was looking for but how cute are these????????

http://www.target.com/Tiddliwinks-Sa...qid=1311208789
anya 05:50 PM 07-20-2011
I have the same thing as Blackcat from Target - $5 also I believe, and I too was worried about it breaking but it has definitely had abuse as well (although strongly discouraged!) and no signs of cracks or anything yet, had it about a year so far.
PitterPatter 07:16 PM 07-20-2011
I use locker mirrors. They aren't real glass they are flexible a little. I have a few dif shapes and colors bought at Walmart for $2 each. This way they can take them off and look at them closer without everyone shoving their faces in 1 spot.
Crazy8 06:44 PM 07-22-2011
just wanted to come back to this and say THANK YOU!!! I ran to Target tonight and not only did they have the mirrors but they were on sale for $4.00!! They are the big back of the door mirrors which I think will work well next to my dress up bin. They only had black or white frames but the black works well enough since I'm going to do the room in that dark "espresso" furniture.
So THANK YOU for the suggestion, I never would have looked there thinking that those types of mirrors would break but it is really light and flexible so I think it will be fine!!
Childminder 07:53 AM 07-23-2011
Originally Posted by :
just wanted to come back to this and say THANK YOU!!! I ran to Target tonight and not only did they have the mirrors but they were on sale for $4.00!! They are the big back of the door mirrors which I think will work well next to my dress up bin. They only had black or white frames but the black works well enough since I'm going to do the room in that dark "espresso" furniture.
So THANK YOU for the suggestion, I never would have looked there thinking that those types of mirrors would break but it is really light and flexible so I think it will be fine!!
I also went to Target and bought one of the $4 mirrors. When I brought it home DH and I had a discussion about whether it is glass or plastic. We decided to forfeit it and find out. IT IS GLASS. IT WILL BREAK. A elbow, or a head, hitting it will shatter it. The reason it is so flexible is because it is so thin and it is fastened with silicone to a bendable plastic frame. The glue holds it to the plastic that supports it so that it bends without 'snapping'.

I won't be using them for the daycare.
Crazy8 08:04 AM 07-23-2011
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I also went to Target and bought one of the $4 mirrors. When I brought it home DH and I had a discussion about whether it is glass or plastic. We decided to forfeit it and find out. IT IS GLASS. IT WILL BREAK. A elbow, or a head, hitting it will shatter it. The reason it is so flexible is because it is so thin and it is fastened with silicone to a bendable plastic frame. The glue holds it to the plastic that supports it so that it bends without 'snapping'.

I won't be using them for the daycare.
hmmm.... I kicked it pretty hard last night (with shoes on) and it didn't break. I am worried more about toys breaking it so maybe today I will throw a matchbox car at it and see.
SilverSabre25 11:31 AM 07-23-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
hmmm.... I kicked it pretty hard last night (with shoes on) and it didn't break. I am worried more about toys breaking it so maybe today I will throw a matchbox car at it and see.
*snicker* sorry, I'm just cracking up at the mental image of you guys abusing the mirrors by throwing toys at them. Little Diamonds, let me know your result; I was thinking of getting some of those.
daycare 11:37 AM 07-23-2011
I have a mirror which I covered with a very clear contact paper I think it was called safety glass?? Can't recall. You place it over the mirror like you would when you tint a card window. This way if it breaks the glass cannot come off the mirror. Let me see if I can find the name off the material that you place over the mirror
Crazy8 06:29 PM 07-28-2011
forgot to update on this till I was pulling the garbage to the curb tonight, LOL!

My $4 mirror is in the garbage. I didn't even get to throw a matchbox car at it, it was still in the back of my van and somehow ended up cracked in half. Once it was apart and I could see the materials I decided I'm not going to take the chance with it - I will have to look into the "real" unbreakable ones.
Blackcat31 08:43 PM 07-28-2011
My mirror has been long lived and I had never even given it another thought until this thread but now I am starting to have my doubts

.....so I looked up child safe mirrors. Check out this really cool site.

WARNING: Super cute, waaaay cool but kinda spendy!

http://www.sensoryedge.com/mirrors.html
kimsdaycare 10:08 AM 07-29-2011
I've had both the free standing classroom mirrors and an inexpensive (under $15) wall mirrors similar to Blackcats, but rounded top and bottom with a brasslike plastic edging.

The classroom one broke. I was told they are called shatter resistant, not shatterproof for a reason and learned the difference the hard way.

The cheapo one has been on the wall for almost 13 years and looks like new, unbelievable I know.

The kids have squished toys behind it, hammered on it, crashed matchbox cars into it and tried prying it off my wall. I've knocked into it (hard) with wooden chairs several times moving furniture through the little walkway its mounted in and even dropped it once removing it from the wall to be painted. It has been fine so far!

I like the film idea! I think I need that on all my windows. I always worry about those too!
DCMom 11:31 AM 07-29-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My mirror has been long lived and I had never even given it another thought until this thread but now I am starting to have my doubts

.....so I looked up child safe mirrors. Check out this really cool site.

WARNING: Super cute, waaaay cool but kinda spendy!

http://www.sensoryedge.com/mirrors.html

Well, thanks alot Blackcat. My dh just caught me drooling over this website and asked me if there was anything I might want for our anniversary! LOL~he's such a smarta**...

As far as mirrors, I have one similar to yours that has been mounted to the wall for years and I have never had a problem, in spite of chairs, matchbox cars, etc. It was 'shatter resistant' as I recall and under $10 when I bought it.

The clear contact paper, that's a great idea.
Blackcat31 06:18 PM 07-29-2011
Sorry DCMom.. The site is cute though.

I am a teeny bit leary of my mirror now but I am not planning on replacing it. I've had it where it is now for several years and have had my fair share of wild and crazy kids and haven't had it break or crack yet so I am good.

I think mine is in a good spot since it is in the kitchen area and I don't usually allow much play to happen there. It is basically there for the babies when they are having tummy time and sort of like Nan, NO ONE touches or goes near the babies.
Rachel 10:50 PM 07-30-2011
I just bought this one from ikea

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20079403

We are required to have a mirror in the daycare area.
Tags:mirror - unbreakable, mirrors
Reply Up