Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Favorite Fall Activities
butterfly 11:13 AM 08-30-2013
What are your favorite autumn activities. I'm looking for crafts, games, anything really. After we finish our current unit, we are going to spend some time goofing off with a very vague fall theme. I want atleast one main idea planned for each day, but I'm going to scale things back a bit for a couple months.
melilley 11:25 AM 08-30-2013
Apples is a good theme. It may sound silly, but you can do so much with them! You can cut them in half and examine them and count seeds, make homemade applesauce, do apple prints, taste tests of different apples etc...
MsLaura529 11:37 AM 08-30-2013
We're going to do apples - prints, applesauce, and taste testing (like melilley mentioned above).

We're also going to do some leaf projects - after we go on our walks and collect the leaves of course Leaf prints, painting with leaves (they love to find leaves outside, and pretend to paint with them, so I figured we could try it for real), and just do some collages on contact paper.

Pumpkins are also good - you can paint the smaller pie pumpkins, do pumpkin bowling, and bake with pumpkins.
butterfly 11:44 AM 08-30-2013
Love the ideas - keep them coming. I'm trying to drag this theme out for a couple months.
CedarCreek 11:56 AM 08-30-2013
Fall is a good time to have the kiddos make family trees with their hands being the different colored leaves you would see in the fall.

Leaf collection, pinecone collection, nature walks.

I like the fall/winter months to throw in a Bear theme. You can make a cozy "bear cave", have them bring teddy bears, have bear claws. Super cute!
SilverSabre25 12:14 PM 08-30-2013
Pounding golf tees into a pumpkin is a big hit here!
butterfly 12:17 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
hummm... that's a new one. Never heard of that. It does sound fun!!
slpender 12:19 PM 08-30-2013
I like to do forest animals in the fall owls squirrels chipmunks etc. bats and spiders is also something I do in october
Cat Herder 12:20 PM 08-30-2013
We bake often, do a lot of heirloom type crafts, take way too many photos, double up on grandparent gifts, plant flower bulbs galore, etc..

IMHO, This is generally the time of year the parents get sentimental. (before they get over tired, moody and demanding from the christmas pressure of "santa" and hosting the extended family )

This is my favorite time to do daycare

Leaves, pinecones, decorative squash, apples, "indian" corn, all things pumpkin We do the corn maze, apple orchard, make applesauce, string up apples for hands free eating... Some make cider, I am not a fan so we skip it

This is also a great time to start "prepping" the kids for the christmas season... You know.. "Thank You", "Please", table manners, patience, waiting your turn, gift giving, receiving with grace... The works.
butterfly 12:25 PM 08-30-2013
ok, to extend this question a little... how about any favorite autumn books?
Cat Herder 12:30 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
ok, to extend this question a little... how about any favorite autumn books?
Scholastic book clubs.. hands down. I order a 10 pack every other year or so... The "popular" book changes each year...

You can get a Teachers account as a home daycare provider, now.

Johnny Appleseed is still my personal fav...
Leanna 12:52 PM 08-30-2013
I. LOVE. FALL. We study/celebrate Fall until the snow starts flying! Here are some of what I have done in the past:

Leaves:
-go for a walk and pick-up leaves
-sort leaves by color, type, etc.
-fill the sensory table with leaves
-rake leaves & jump in
-leaf rubbings
-leaf painting
Apples:
-make applesauce
-taste different varieties & vote for favorite
Pumpkins:
-paint mini-pumpkins
-dissect a pumpkin
-roast pumpkin seeds
-weigh a pumpkin
-bake pumpkin bread
Squirrels
-feed & observe squirrels
-sort acorns or chestnuts

-go on a Fall nature walk/scavenger hunt
-
butterfly 01:06 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Scholastic book clubs.. hands down. I order a 10 pack every other year or so... The "popular" book changes each year...

You can get a Teachers account as a home daycare provider, now.

Johnny Appleseed is still my personal fav...
I thought about getting a teachers account; however, I have mostly all teachers' kids so I doubt they would want to order from me when they can and do order from their own class... I should probably order more books from scholastic. I tend to go over board though.
butterfly 01:08 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
I. LOVE. FALL. We study/celebrate Fall until the snow starts flying! Here are some of what I have done in the past:

Leaves:
-go for a walk and pick-up leaves
-sort leaves by color, type, etc.
-fill the sensory table with leaves
-rake leaves & jump in
-leaf rubbings
-leaf painting
Apples:
-make applesauce
-taste different varieties & vote for favorite
Pumpkins:
-paint mini-pumpkins
-dissect a pumpkin
-roast pumpkin seeds
-weigh a pumpkin
-bake pumpkin bread
Squirrels
-feed & observe squirrels
-sort acorns or chestnuts

-go on a Fall nature walk/scavenger hunt
-
Great ideas. I think I'm going to do fall until snow flies too. Then do "winter" for a few months - Atleast through Christmas anyways...
butterfly 01:09 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by slpender:
I like to do forest animals in the fall owls squirrels chipmunks etc. bats and spiders is also something I do in october
I kinda did this last year too.
Cat Herder 01:12 PM 08-30-2013
I thought about getting a teachers account; however, I have mostly all teachers' kids so I doubt they would want to order from me when they can and do order from their own class... .
You have an opportunity there... It is simple for them to add one more age group to THEIR account for you to order from them....

My guess is you will be gifted often since they, too, can write the books off on taxes.
Maria2013 01:35 PM 08-30-2013
What are your favorite autumn activities. I'm looking for crafts, games, anything really. After we finish our current unit, we are going to spend some time goofing off with a very vague fall theme. I want atleast one main idea planned for each day, but I'm going to scale things back a bit for a couple months.
I really love playing with fallen leaves, beside making huge piles and jumping on them, we have contests who can find more kinds of leaves
... or I have the kids collect different color, shapes and sizes, and we used them to make craft (people, animals, etc) then we laminate and they are saved forever very cute (haven't tried uploading images yet or I'd show you)
momofsix 01:45 PM 08-30-2013
I got the fake pumpkins from Micheal's and poked holes in them with a screwdriver. We use the potato head pieces with them and do "pumpkin heads" instead of potato heads.
Someone on here (I don't remember who) mentioned having hay bales in the back yard for the kids to use-I think I'll have to try that!
Laurel 02:29 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
That sounds like a cool idea.

When I worked in a Montessori preschool we did pumpkin scrubbing. They had a small pumpkin (but not the mini kind as that would be too small), a bar of soap and a little brush. They wet the brush, ran it over the soap and scrubbed the pumpkin.

Laurel
Laurel 02:32 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I got the fake pumpkins from Micheal's and poked holes in them with a screwdriver. We use the potato head pieces with them and do "pumpkin heads" instead of potato heads.
Someone on here (I don't remember who) mentioned having hay bales in the back yard for the kids to use-I think I'll have to try that!
The hay bales sound neat. I could take them apart and let the children play in the hay as we don't have fall leaves to rake up here in South Florida. There is one tree in our neighborhood that has colored leaves all year long. When I take them for a walk we stand under it, collect the leaves, etc. and 'pretend' like it's fall. Gotta improvise here.

Laurel
MsLaura529 02:45 PM 08-30-2013
Oooh, this thread is really making me want Fall to be here NOW. Cooler weather, wind blowing, apple cider donuts, and pumpkin spice coffee .. mmm...
iluvlearning 03:17 PM 08-30-2013
I love fall, too! I tend to do a lot of activities related to the changes occurring in nature right in the backyard (e.g., leaves turning color and eventually falling, squirrels collecting nuts for winter, temperatures dropping, etc.). I also like to do a lot with apples because they are so good for the children and so yummy! We compare baked, cooked, dried and fresh apples. We sort apples by color. We even look at apples up close with unbreakable magnifiers. I also just got the link to a free activity page about apples from my CCR&R. I don't know if I can post it here, but if you PM me, I can email it to you.
Tags:activities - fall, fall season - craft ideas
Reply Up