Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tips For Avoiding Daycare Chaos
kcnjason 08:33 AM 02-03-2015
I'm a home childcare, 6 kids. I normally have all boys and 1 girl. They are all 3-4 and I'm looking for ideas as to how others avoid chaos during their mornings. I have a schedule, but during this time of year, (cold winters in montana) it seems to get rather chaotic. What types of things do other home childcares plan to avoid chaos?
crazydaycarelady 08:50 AM 02-03-2015
Where are you in MT? I'm in Missoula.
Controlled Chaos 08:58 AM 02-03-2015
I am not sure if this is what you are asking - but I have been setting out 3 toy areas each morning. So, this morning I had blocks and little people set out, chalk for the chalk board and a sticker activity. As children came in, I asked them which they wanted and then lead them to it as we waved goodbye to mom/dad.
kcnjason 09:08 AM 02-03-2015
I'm in Great Falls!
Yes, that is right on the lines of what I was wondering. Any other ideas is good as far as when the day gets moving, right around the time breakfast ends but I'm still cleaning up, before we dig in to preschool stuff.
slpender 09:15 AM 02-03-2015
I have used book bins in the past between lunch clean up and nap.

I pulled out some favorite book and small stuffed animals or plastic toys that matched the book I also included felt board pieces the kids pick a bin and read the story and use props.

ex Brown Bear Brown Bear I have the book and all the animals taken from the zoo and farm animal I had and a stuffed brown bear.

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom I have a tree cut out and alphabet magnets
Unregistered 02:26 PM 02-03-2015
I follow a schedule.

I also have a separate dedicated daycare area. Two rooms.

It's all child friendly with lots of interest areas. Book corner, block center/trucks, cars, computer center, sensory table, simple art area at the meal table ( markers, paper, crayons, coloring books and scissors), housekeeping area, simple science area also at the table. Right now it's large sea shells and magnifying glasses, puzzles are also in this area and other small motor toys, easel for markers not painting, and general toy shelves.

All toys on shelves in bins, no toy boxes.

This arrangement has always worked well to avoid chaos. I know if you don't have a separate space these interest areas are more of a challenge.

Winter
Schedule:
Breakfast-9:00 instead of snack
Free play-kids who are interested come over for creative art. I Offer art two/three times per week.
Clean up
Circle time-10:00 or a bit later/songs & story
Used to have an AM snack-dropped this for now
Outside weather permitting10:30
Second free play or playdoh and around 11:00 I might do action songs/music with Greg & Steve, Jack Hartman, Dr. Jean, etc.
I start lunch around 11:30- I allow TV! Gasp!

My kids always seemed busy,engaged, non crazy with this set up and schedule. It also helps to rotate out toys. New toys from the basement are a life saver.
Unregistered 02:55 PM 02-03-2015
Ooooops, Sorry, I should have noticed you do follow a schedule. You were looking for something more specific. Well, maybe there's something you can use in my post, but I need to pay closer attention to the question asked!
Meeko 02:59 PM 02-03-2015
Don't open the door?
Play Care 05:49 AM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I am not sure if this is what you are asking - but I have been setting out 3 toy areas each morning. So, this morning I had blocks and little people set out, chalk for the chalk board and a sticker activity. As children came in, I asked them which they wanted and then lead them to it as we waved goodbye to mom/dad.
This. When my group gets a case of the "crazies" it *usually* means they need more direction and LESS options They are telling me without words that they can't handle it.

So I do like Chaos does and set up specific activities. I also block off the play room so they have LESS space. There is no where to go but where I've allowed. Once I've done breakfast and gotten things cleaned up, then we clean up the toys and I'll open things back up.

At the end of the day we clean up and go to table activity (last 15-20 minutes or so) - they have several choices but all are at the table. Only kids whose parents are at the door can get down. This cuts down on any end of day nonsense (kids "tattling" to other parents, kids getting crazy because my attention is on the parent/child for a moment, etc.) I like it because it takes the drama and nonsense out of transition.
Rockgirl 06:38 AM 02-04-2015
We spend some time each morning doing "rug time". I lay out throw rugs to form a big circle. One activity goes on each rug. After about 10 minutes, everyone rotates. We do this until they've been to each rug. Here, this takes about an hour. It really seems to calm things down.

Edited to add: One kid per rug!
Annalee 09:00 AM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This. When my group gets a case of the "crazies" it *usually* means they need more direction and LESS options They are telling me without words that they can't handle it.

So I do like Chaos does and set up specific activities. I also block off the play room so they have LESS space. There is no where to go but where I've allowed. Once I've done breakfast and gotten things cleaned up, then we clean up the toys and I'll open things back up.

At the end of the day we clean up and go to table activity (last 15-20 minutes or so) - they have several choices but all are at the table. Only kids whose parents are at the door can get down. This cuts down on any end of day nonsense (kids "tattling" to other parents, kids getting crazy because my attention is on the parent/child for a moment, etc.) I like it because it takes the drama and nonsense out of transition.
I agree with limiting the activities.....I call it "controlled free play" When I do this, I explain to the kids that this is a consequence of their actions...needless to say I don't have to do this very often because children love making their own choices...which they really are during controlled free play just not as many options to choose from.
Unregistered 09:07 AM 02-04-2015
Closets, one for each of them. lol but for real we try and follow a schedule, lots of variety throughout the day so no one gets bored. We also try for lots of outside time weather permitting.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:16 AM 02-04-2015
a back up plan, or two or three Most days my kids play very well. I change out toys regularly so that keeps it fresh.
Then I have several alternate plans in the back of my mind but it depends on what they want to do. If they are playing and engaged I rarely interrupt unless it is going outside. (always a priority)
So, I may have something with playdoh or painting. Right now I have some Valentines crafts and stickers. I have a selection of books pulled if we decide to head that way. I have a "back up" toy activity sitting in the other room in case. Usually a building manipulative. So if they get crabby we can plop on the floor and build something.
While I am making lunch- if they are playing- great. If they are not, they clean up. They may look at books or color. A lot of times lately they want out at the table and we sing songs. They have been into doing "Elmo's song" but putting their names in. They love that! Or I let them take turns telling stories. That is funny!
Chaos for me happens when I don't have a back up thought.
Oh something else I did was made letters and laminated them. I have been putting them up on the walls "hiding" them. So it is our own ABC I spy game.
deliberateliterate 09:35 AM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

I'm going to start doing this, thanks!. It's bedlam here for the last 30-60 minutes and I have a feeling it gives off a bad impression to the parents.
ColorfulSunburst 11:25 AM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Don't open the door?

ColorfulSunburst 11:30 AM 02-04-2015
There is a rule here: " If you want take a new toy you MUST put a current toy on the place where you take it from"
It works good.
Jack Sprat 12:02 PM 02-04-2015
Our drop offs go well. It's pick up that was getting out of hand. We do one of two things. We are either at the table for "table time" and we are coloring, playing with dough or doing puzzles. As each parent pulls up the kids get on their coats etc. That way they are ready to leave. Second option that doesn't work as well but, we keep trying. Each child gets a book, a lovie and a pillow and finds a spot around the house and reads to their lovie. When its their time to leave they put everything away and then get ready to go.
Reply Up