Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WellTime To Retire
rosieteddy 12:51 PM 02-26-2015
Last Thursday night I had a heart attack. I was eating dinner with my family. All of a sudden my lower jaw hurt and both arms at the elbow. It felt like elastic bands were wrapped around them. I left the table and lay down for 20 minutes but could not get comfortable. This was not the best move if you have pain like this call an ambulance. My daughter a nurse drove me 2 minutes away to the hospital. They rushed me into the ER and started treatment. I ended up in the ICU and transported to a major hospital the next am. I had a blood clot in my heart and they put a stint in.Now I am on blood thinners and have multiple appoint ments in the comming weeks. I also next month need my heart shocked back to a normal rhythm. They do that at the hospital. I am a family childcare and do not have an assistant. I had hoped to see this last group through and then retire but I can not see this would be good for the children. Parents have hired a nanny for 3 at one of their houses and grandparents stepped in for the others. I feel that its best for all to move on though its killing me.I have had every child since they were 12 weeks old and all their siblings. I am really sad to end a 30 yr run this way.
Shell 12:54 PM 02-26-2015

jenboo 12:57 PM 02-26-2015
Glad you got to the hospital and are doing better! Im sure its tough to see those kids go.

Unregistered 01:04 PM 02-26-2015
Oh my goodness, don't even worry about the kids; zero daycare stress is the best scenario for your heart. You get to start a new chapter that's finally all about YOU. Best wishes!
Play Care 01:33 PM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Oh my goodness, don't even worry about the kids; zero daycare stress is the best scenario for your heart. You get to start a new chapter that's finally all about YOU. Best wishes!
This!!!
hope 02:28 PM 02-26-2015
Seems like you had a some great relationships. That bond will always be there. AND now you have the time to write some letters,send some cards and can catch up with some of the families. Glad you are came through it all ok. Enjoy the retirement!
daycarediva 02:40 PM 02-26-2015
You spent 30 years taking care of others, now is the time to take care of yourself. Sending well wishes your way!
Josiegirl 02:50 PM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
You spent 30 years taking care of others, now is the time to take care of yourself. Sending well wishes your way!
YES this!! Someone is telling you to slow down, take care of yourself, and enjoy each day!!! Nothing needs to stop you from seeing the kids who are special to you!
You are one very lucky lady!! Please don't feel bad that your plans were changed for you.
rosieteddy 03:28 PM 02-26-2015
Thanks everyone, I feel very lucky to be here. I am looking forward to starting a "third act".It is very new and emotional right now,and the children will be fine. I will focus on changing some things in my lifeand enjoying each day.I will try to remember we are not promised tomorrow only today.
originalkat 03:30 PM 02-26-2015

Its time to take care of you now. I'm so glad you are okay! God bless!
e.j. 05:49 PM 02-26-2015
Thank goodness you went to the hospital when you did. I'm the type who would do the same thing you did - lay down to see if the symptoms went away. Although I know the symptoms of a heart attack because of the CPR classes I've taken, I've often wonder if I would actually recognize the symptoms of a heart attack if I were to have one or if one of my loved ones did.

It has to be difficult to have retirement forced upon you when you aren't quite ready. I'm sorry you weren't able to do that on your own terms. Like others have said, though, you need to focus on your health and recuperation. It sounds as though you're very close to your dc kids and their families. I have a group of kids right now that I just love so I can understand how difficult it must be to suddenly have to close your day care and not have the time to say your goodbyes. Hopefully, they'll keep in touch and send updates now and then.

Wishing you a full recovery!
laundrymom 06:11 PM 02-26-2015
Oh my. So glad you are going to be alright. Sending you gentle hugs.
DaveA 04:16 AM 02-27-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
My thoughts exactly.
CraftyMom 05:16 AM 02-27-2015
Glad you are ok! Get the rest you need, the kids will be fine
Baby Beluga 06:43 AM 02-27-2015
So glad you went in when you did for a speedy recovery.
Annalee 09:40 AM 02-27-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Last Thursday night I had a heart attack. I was eating dinner with my family. All of a sudden my lower jaw hurt and both arms at the elbow. It felt like elastic bands were wrapped around them. I left the table and lay down for 20 minutes but could not get comfortable. This was not the best move if you have pain like this call an ambulance. My daughter a nurse drove me 2 minutes away to the hospital. They rushed me into the ER and started treatment. I ended up in the ICU and transported to a major hospital the next am. I had a blood clot in my heart and they put a stint in.Now I am on blood thinners and have multiple appoint ments in the comming weeks. I also next month need my heart shocked back to a normal rhythm. They do that at the hospital. I am a family childcare and do not have an assistant. I had hoped to see this last group through and then retire but I can not see this would be good for the children. Parents have hired a nanny for 3 at one of their houses and grandparents stepped in for the others. I feel that its best for all to move on though its killing me.I have had every child since they were 12 weeks old and all their siblings. I am really sad to end a 30 yr run this way.

momofsix 10:30 AM 02-27-2015
So glad you went in and didn't ignore it! I hope the stent does its job and you're soon feelilng back to normal
Are you on Coumadin/Warfarin? Hopefully you got a different blood thinner.
I've had lots of heart issues-so if you have any questions you think I could help with feel free to ask!
Rest up and get better so you can enjoy this next chapter of your life!
proudmommyofthree 10:55 AM 02-27-2015
I'm so glad your ok, well wishes being sent your way
rosieteddy 11:48 AM 03-02-2015
Thanks everyone.Yes I am on cumidin and it hopefully will work on whats left of the blood clot.The Dr said I was very lucky that it lodged in my heart and did not cause a stroke. The children are all finding other daycre arrangements and I will visit each family next week for the kids (and me)to have closure.I am looking at this as a new beginning and will try to work on my health.The Dr suggested cardiac rehab as the diagnosis is congestive heart failure with AFIB. Remember do not ignore symptoms especially differant than you normally feel.If I had not gone to the ER I may not have made it.
Luna 11:55 AM 03-02-2015

Crazy8 12:44 PM 03-02-2015
Yikes! Thank goodness you got to the hospital when you did. I would never think of those symptoms as signs of a heart attack.

I agree with the others, do not worry about the daycare kids now. I know its sad to say goodbye but it will be what is best for your health!
Tags:heart, heart attack, heart problem
Reply Up