Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Newborn Advice/Ideas
Laurel 03:12 PM 01-19-2016
My niece just had a baby. I think he is two weeks old now. I am going to send a gift but I'd also like to make a little handmade book of advice or comfort.

What are your words of wisdom or best advice or comforting thoughts for a first time new mom and dad?

Thanks!
sahm1225 05:45 PM 01-19-2016
'You're doing great' and 'it's okay to be tired and complain.'
jenboo 05:51 PM 01-19-2016
My first baby is 3 months old so all this is very fresh.
I would say that when baby wakes up in the middle of the night, set a time limit on how long you will try to get them back to sleep before accepting the fact that they are up.
There were a few nights where I would try for 30 mins to an hour trying to get my little guy back to sleep. I was so frustrated....I may have even yelled at him then I decided that he was just going to be awake and I needed to accept that. We went out into the living room, I turned Netflix on and got comfy on the couch. I finally relaxed and it felt good. Lo and behold, baby was asleep within 15 min.

After that night, I set a 20 min time limit. If baby wasnt back asleep within 20 min, I went out into the living room and watched TV. Usually baby would fall asleep quickly and I wasn't stressed/frustrated.
Laurel 07:56 PM 01-19-2016
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
'You're doing great' and 'it's okay to be tired and complain.'

Thanks, so true.
Laurel 07:56 PM 01-19-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
My first baby is 3 months old so all this is very fresh.
I would say that when baby wakes up in the middle of the night, set a time limit on how long you will try to get them back to sleep before accepting the fact that they are up.
There were a few nights where I would try for 30 mins to an hour trying to get my little guy back to sleep. I was so frustrated....I may have even yelled at him then I decided that he was just going to be awake and I needed to accept that. We went out into the living room, I turned Netflix on and got comfy on the couch. I finally relaxed and it felt good. Lo and behold, baby was asleep within 15 min.

After that night, I set a 20 min time limit. If baby wasnt back asleep within 20 min, I went out into the living room and watched TV. Usually baby would fall asleep quickly and I wasn't stressed/frustrated.
That's a good idea. I really like it. Thanks!
Controlled Chaos 09:28 PM 01-19-2016
Gift cards to restaurants that have good take out! Also a note letting mom know she can talk to you if she has post partum depression, or needs to talk at all, that she is a good mom, that ecerything will be ok
daycare 01:21 AM 01-20-2016
It's ok to make mistakes it's the only way we learn.
Reply Up