Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Age/Grade Is Considered School Age?
pollyo 06:07 PM 02-10-2012
My 4 year old is heading to kindergarten next year, a half day program. However, it's at the elementary school so I was wondering if certain states might consider that school age. In my state I can watch 3 kids unlicensed, or up to 6 preschool and younger (including my own) if I'm licensed. I will have my 2 year old around for a while but with my 4 year old in K next year maybe he doesn't count towards my 6?

I guess I could call someone from my state but thought someone here might know. Right now, I only watch 3 at a time so I am unlicensed. Might not be worth the hassle next year if I can only add 1 more!
bice99 06:10 PM 02-10-2012
1st grade! Age doesn't matter.
Country Kids 09:31 AM 02-11-2012
1st grade here also!
melskids 10:26 AM 02-11-2012
Here it is kindergarden. But our K is all day, maybe that matters?
seebachers 10:33 AM 02-11-2012
kindergarten......full day
GretasLittleFriends 11:02 AM 02-11-2012
According to our rules, regulations, and statutes: "School age" means a child who is at least of sufficient age to have attended the first day of kindergarten, or is eligible to enter kindergarten within the next four months, but is younger than 11 years of age.

So, here in Minnesota, if they are going to kindergarten in the fall, they are considered school age the first part of May. Oh, and different school districts have different kindergarten schedules. Some are all day every day, some are full days every other day, some are half days, and any variations I can't think of...
itlw8 07:05 PM 02-11-2012
a 4 yr old is usually considered Pre K so it not school age. Around here School age is Kindergarten for us it does not matter a child is a child. unless under 2
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
According to our rules, regulations, and statutes: "School age" means a child who is at least of sufficient age to have attended the first day of kindergarten, or is eligible to enter kindergarten within the next four months, but is younger than 11 years of age.

So, here in Minnesota, if they are going to kindergarten in the fall, they are considered school age the first part of May. Oh, and different school districts have different kindergarten schedules. Some are all day every day, some are full days every other day, some are half days, and any variations I can't think of...
I just want to add that "is at least of sufficient age to have attended the first day of kindergarten" is defined by being age 5 on or before September 1st.

So I have one DCB who will be 5 on August 30th (which makes him the sufficient age to attend Kindy) so he will count as a SA daycare child on May 1st even though he will spend the summer only being 4 yrs old.

FWIW~ his mom is not sending him to Kindy so I will have him all day every day in daycare but he will count in my ratios as a SA child.

I also have a DCG who will be 5 on September 5th. She will NOT be counted as a SA child on May 1 because she is legally NOT old enough to attend school this fall as she did not reach age 5 on or before September 1st. I will NOT be able to count her as a SA child until May1 of the next year.
pollyo 10:50 AM 02-12-2012
Thanks for the input, I guess I better call someone from my state. He will be 5 in July.
Reply Up