Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>In An Apartment Non Licensed Daycare
fairymama 12:14 PM 01-29-2013
Currently searching for a daycare for my kids in San Antonio. I contacted a lady who had a post on criaglist, then she told me that she is living in an apartment and she isn't licenced.
what do you think is it safe to send kids to non licienced daycare in an apartment? should I go and see by my self or not ( I am in a one month visit to SA and I have never been there).
Meeko 12:48 PM 01-29-2013
Where is your husband and what happened with the other daycare provider hitting your daughter? Maybe I'm missing some posts?!!
seebachers 01:00 PM 01-29-2013
Ditto to Meeko's question.........I am lost!!!
fairymama 01:27 PM 01-29-2013
Hi Meeko! thanks for interest. What happened is we spoke to her about our daughter and we asked her to tell us the story and what happened in the bathroom. She laughed and said that my daughter was playing with the soap and throwing it in the trash and she ( my daughter) took a pat! the lady was confident and she seems to be from the old generation of daycare provides who may see pat in a different way rather than do the new generations- ( I am not sure)?? anyhow she asked me to pay half the fees for the 4 weeks vacation for the two kids, and I DID, my heart tells me that she is a kind person, my kids are very happy at her home, the lady and her daughter are always there watching the kids, and the are friendly people and I really love them.. I am not sure what to do next
Now I started the 4 weeks vacation ( actually it is not a vacation as husband is doing one month rotation in SA), and now i am looking for a daycare fro my kis for 2 or 3 weeks just to have some time to study..
I have never been to SA before and I am trying to find safe and good place for them..
Starburst 01:28 PM 01-29-2013
Is she watching more that 1 or 2 kids or will she only be watching you child? Is she planning on getting a liscense or moving into a house anytime soon? Does she have a place (a yard or apartment playground) to take the kids for outside activities?

I have heard in most places it is legal to have a small daycare in an appartment (possibly lower ratio than a normal SFCC), but idealy a FCCP would want a house unless they have an individual yard or a big enough patio/enclosed playground for the children to go outside. But since she is unliscened if she is watching children for more than 1 or 2 (depending on your state regs) families other than her own than I would honestly just not bother with her services and report her because if she is not licensed and has more than a few children it is illegal and if she got caught later you wouldn't want to have to try to find another daycare on short notice (because they would make her close immediately and she would have to pay a fine/penalty for everyday she was in service without a liscense).
Unregistered 01:37 PM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by fairymama:
Currently searching for a daycare for my kids in San Antonio. I contacted a lady who had a post on criaglist, then she told me that she is living in an apartment and she isn't licenced.
what do you think is it safe to send kids to non licienced daycare in an apartment? should I go and see by my self or not ( I am in a one month visit to SA and I have never been there).
She is allowed to watch a few children (up to three unrelated children) in her apartment by the state of Texas if she is a listed. I am a listed by the state of Texas and I used to watch three children in my old apartment a long time ago. Hope it helps!
fairymama 01:55 PM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
She is allowed to watch a few children (up to three unrelated children) in her apartment by the state of Texas if she is a listed. I am a listed by the state of Texas and I used to watch three children in my old apartment a long time ago. Hope it helps!
BTW she is asking $100 per week for each child..is it ok?
daycare 01:55 PM 01-29-2013
I forget how old your kids are,but when my first child was an infant he had a very wonderful HCC that lived in an apartment. She was also military.

ONce my son started walking, I moved him to a place with plenty of space to exercise and run around. The apartment that the other provider lived in was fine for infants so I thought, just not kids of walking age that needed more stimulation, room and a place to run......
spud912 02:13 PM 01-29-2013
So you mentioned 2 concerns in your email (lack of license and childcare from an apartment).

1. No license:
I would check your state's requirements as to whether a license is needed for childcare. If not, what is allowed to stay unlicensed? If she meets those requirements, then the next thing to look at is if you believe she is qualified to watch children, do her references check out, is her home safe and clean and does she run a good program. In addition, does she file taxes at the end of the year? If all of these things check out ok after the interview, then there should be no problems with being unlicensed.

2. Childcare from an apartment:
First, I would make sure there is enough space for each child enrolled. For example, if she cares for 5 children legally out of a tiny apartment, then there may be a problem because there isn't enough space for each child to play and interact properly. On the other hand, if she only cares for 2 children out of a normal-sized 2 bedroom apartment, then it would be more ideal. Second, I would check the space she has designated for daycare. Are there plenty of age-appropriate toys and activities without being over-crowded? Is there adequate space for napping? Lastly, I would check the grounds of the apartments. Is she on a high floor of the apartment complex (especially if she plans to take them down the stairs on a regular basis)? Is there a playground nearby that she can take the children to for physical activity?

I think both of those are understandable concerns, but with careful consideration, they can be worked with. Good luck!
itlw8 02:35 PM 01-29-2013
I would go see. Until you look you do not know the set up. Maybe she has a nice playground in the complex or a park close by. Even just taking a walk daily gets outdoor exersize.
Unregistered 02:37 PM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by fairymama:
BTW she is asking $100 per week for each child..is it ok?
It sounds reasonable. San Antonio child care rates are around $80 to $150 or maybe more per week for each child.
MissSarah 06:12 PM 01-29-2013
It sounds like she can legally watch kids in her apartment so that wouldn't be an issue for me. I think if she is pretty close to a playground, her apartment is clean and you get a good vibe from her, I say go for it.
Tags:apartment, unlicensed, unlicensed - texas
Reply Up