Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are My Rights?
Unregistered 07:29 PM 06-25-2010
My son has been in the same daycare for 3 years, his entire life practically. I have loved the daycare until the past few months and I have let my appreciation be known thorughout my son's time at daycare. However, about 2 months ago, he climbed out the window, opened a gate, closed it and then knocked on the door to come back in. Thank god he did not go into the parking lot or get kidnapped. Two weeks ago, it happened again, he went out the front door and was not retrieved until he had made it to the road, by the mailbox. I had a meeting with the daycare, saying that I wanted screens on the windows, the main doors to lock from the inside-with a buzzer to go out, or at least increased tension on the door and buzzers on the doors to alarm if someone comes in or out. The feedback i have gotten so far is that it doesn't meet codes or blah, blah, blah. In the meantime, I have a 3 year old who is becoming upset over not going to see his friends and the teachers that he "loves". What can be done?
originalkat 05:22 AM 06-26-2010
There should never be an open window without a screen in any home or business that cares for children!! That is NOT safe (as you know all too well). Why has this just now become an issue? Is it because they have always had open windows and your son just now figured out how to climb out? They need to install window guards if they are going to have the windows open without screens.
On a side note-- If my 3 year old climbed out the window she would be in BIG trouble. Your child needs to know that it is VERY DANGEROUS and it is NOT ALLOWED. It is the daycare who is responsible but a three year old is old enough to be taught not to do that IMO.
nannyde 07:30 AM 06-26-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My son has been in the same daycare for 3 years, his entire life practically. I have loved the daycare until the past few months and I have let my appreciation be known thorughout my son's time at daycare. However, about 2 months ago, he climbed out the window, opened a gate, closed it and then knocked on the door to come back in. Thank god he did not go into the parking lot or get kidnapped. Two weeks ago, it happened again, he went out the front door and was not retrieved until he had made it to the road, by the mailbox. I had a meeting with the daycare, saying that I wanted screens on the windows, the main doors to lock from the inside-with a buzzer to go out, or at least increased tension on the door and buzzers on the doors to alarm if someone comes in or out. The feedback i have gotten so far is that it doesn't meet codes or blah, blah, blah. In the meantime, I have a 3 year old who is becoming upset over not going to see his friends and the teachers that he "loves". What can be done?

You must turn them into the State today. That's crazy dangerous.
Golden Rule 07:32 AM 06-26-2010
My response is three-fold.

1. As a provider I never seem to have issues with my families until their children turn 3-4 (most here since birth). They become so curious and independant, it is a horribly difficult balance not to stiffle their enthusiasm for life while also protecting them. (even for moms) If what you are desribing happened here I would be very embarrassed and would be searching for a solution that did not get me into trouble with the state. (probably a pressure mounted baby gate at each window sill) I also would expect you to work with me on a disciplinary plan as this is an unacceptable behavior that he is well old enough to understand.

2. As a mom, if the same happened, I would expect to see horror on my providers face when she realized he was missing. I would expect her to be embarrassed, apologetic and trying to find solutions for the issue. I also would be very upset with my child...this would signal to me that my child is a walking target for the world and I need to get on the ball fast.(I am a mom of 3 from a Law Enforcement Family. Also a paramedic who has had to pick up a dead 3 year old up from the parking lot of a local fast food restaraunt because they wandered off. I may be biased)

3. As a child that wandered off, walked over 2.5 miles of beach, watched as helicopters searched for me and a ship dragged for my body for 13 hours because I was afraid to come out.... LOL!!! This can become a bad pattern I still have nightmares..My Aunt had 3rd degree burns from walking barefoot on hot pavement looking for me. My parents almost divorced over it.... I have to say I loved the day my mom showed the newspaper cutouts to my kids...it gets thrown up everytime I get onto them...lol! It really is just better to avoid it.
jen 07:43 AM 06-26-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:

You must turn them into the State today. That's crazy dangerous.
This! Do this!
nannyde 07:46 AM 06-26-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
My response is three-fold.

1. As a provider I never seem to have issues with my families until their children turn 3-4 (most here since birth). They become so curious and independant, it is a horribly difficult balance not to stiffle their enthusiasm for life while also protecting them. (even for moms) If what you are desribing happened here I would be very embarrassed and would be searching for a solution that did not get me into trouble with the state. (probably a pressure mounted baby gate at each window sill) I also would expect you to work with me on a disciplinary plan as this is an unacceptable behavior that he is well old enough to understand.

2. As a mom, if the same happened, I would expect to see horror on my providers face when she realized he was missing. I would expect her to be embarrassed, apologetic and trying to find solutions for the issue. I also would be very upset with my child...this would signal to me that my child is a walking target for the world and I need to get on the ball fast.(I am a mom of 3 from a Law Enforcement Family. Also a paramedic who has had to pick up a dead 3 year old up from the parking lot of a local fast food restaraunt because they wandered off. I may be biased)

3. As a child that wandered off, walked over 2.5 miles of beach, watched as helicopters searched for me and a ship dragged for my body for 13 hours because I was afraid to come out.... LOL!!! This can become a bad pattern I still have nightmares..My Aunt had 3rd degree burns from walking barefoot on hot pavement looking for me. My parents almost divorced over it.... I have to say I loved the day my mom showed the newspaper cutouts to my kids...it gets thrown up everytime I get onto them...lol! It really is just better to avoid it.
I crawled out a window during nap when I was a kid too. Crawled up onto the dresser to get a dime because I heard the ice cream truck coming. My Mom looks out the window to see ME at the ice cream window.

Needless to say I got spanked all the way into the house and my ice cream bar (vanilla ice cream with chocolate coating... still my fave) got tossed into the street.

Never happened again
Golden Rule 07:50 AM 06-26-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I crawled out a window during nap when I was a kid too. Crawled up onto the dresser to get a dime because I heard the ice cream truck coming. My Mom looks out the window to see ME at the ice cream window.

Needless to say I got spanked all the way into the house and my ice cream bar (vanilla ice cream with chocolate coating... still my fave) got tossed into the street.

Never happened again
LOL!!! Love it!! So glad to hear I was not the only little sneak.... I was trying to get to the bridge...someone told me about the barnacles on the pylons when the tide was out and I wanted to see them It sure looked closer that that...
professionalmom 12:37 PM 06-26-2010
As a provider and as a mom, I would call the local licensing office and talk to them. Don't call to "report" them in a hostile manner. Just ask them what the rules and laws are about screens on the windows. There are always weird laws and rules. We have one in MI that says that our fire extinguishers can not be higher than 5 feet from the floor (mounted). I find that odd since an older child could reach it and it could be dangerous if they curiously pulled the pin and pulled the trigger. I wanted it higher, out of their reach, but I had to follow the rules. So, ask them, describe the situation, why you are concerned, etc. If the daycare is right about screens being against the rules, ask to speak to someone higher up in licensing about this rule and how you can go about trying to get it changed.

Personally, I can't believe it would be a rule, but you never know. This is one of those times where we need parents to be actively involved in daycare licensing rules. THAT IS YOUR RIGHT!!

You can also ask the daycare to produce a copy of the rule. Ask out of concern, "I understand that licensing may have weird rules sometimes and I would like to see the actual rule on this so I can talk to licensing about how to go about possibly modifying it." That doesn't sounds accusatory to me. It is very possible that they are interpreting the rule incorrectly, too.

Good Luck! I'll pray that your very smart child will tame his curiosity and stop trying to "escape".
Childminder 02:13 PM 06-26-2010
I had a dcb that would 'escape' right out the front door. Not at daycare but from his own home. Mom went potty and came out and the door was open, boy down three flights and in the parking lot of the apt complex. Another time at three in the morning. I gave her a door alarm that shrieks every time the door or window opens. Problem solved. Got them at Lowes.

Definitely contact Licensing and at least find out the rules that are in dispute. In Mi we are required to give the licensing rules to each parent at enrollment. Also the info is probably available through your government website.
MarinaVanessa 02:37 PM 06-26-2010
I guess to me it's pretty obvious JMO... if you have a child that gets out of daycare through an open window once (even more so TWICE!!) and you can't put screens on the windows (giving them the benefit of the doubt) then you shouldn't keep the windows open. It's obvious you can't keep track of this child ... what if more follow (monkey see monkey do)? Too hot to keep the windows closed? Get an air conditioner. I NEVER have my windows open on the second floor even if I do have screens on them because screens don't make an open window any safer. All it takes is enough pressure and a determined kid to pop it right out. All of my other windows have furniture in front of them so that the kids can't get to them. Even my sliding back door stays locked unless it's time to play outside. Point is ... you have to be prepared to make changes under certain circumstances in order to keep them safe.
QualiTcare 11:25 PM 06-26-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I guess to me it's pretty obvious JMO... if you have a child that gets out of daycare through an open window once (even more so TWICE!!) and you can't put screens on the windows (giving them the benefit of the doubt) then you shouldn't keep the windows open. It's obvious you can't keep track of this child ... what if more follow (monkey see monkey do)? Too hot to keep the windows closed? Get an air conditioner. I NEVER have my windows open on the second floor even if I do have screens on them because screens don't make an open window any safer. All it takes is enough pressure and a determined kid to pop it right out. All of my other windows have furniture in front of them so that the kids can't get to them. Even my sliding back door stays locked unless it's time to play outside. Point is ... you have to be prepared to make changes under certain circumstances in order to keep them safe.
i'm with you.....who (especially daycare providers) has their windows open these days?! this isn't the 1920's! helloooooo....we have AC!

i dunno. maybe i'm weird...but i never open my windows. i do prop my doors open sometimes to air the house out, but i don't even do that much in the summer cus the bugs come in. the whole thing sounds SUPER weird!

however, i've been arguing with my husband about getting deadbolts for the doors because my son who just turned 4 is a hellian. i can be in the shower and i'll hear him outside! luckily, i have a big piece of property so there's no real danger, but ANYTHING could happen. just a couple of days ago, i woke up to find my children playing on the front porch! i woke up because i heard the door open...and them laughing so it wasn't like they'd been out there any time at all, but still! a chain would do NO good because they'd climb and take that off in a heartbeat.

what kind of alarm system do you get that alerts if the door opens? i really don't want to insall a home security system because it's just not necessary (i don't THINK...maybe it is) but i'd like to have some way to know if my kids decide to wake up and sneak outside while i'm asleep!! there was a lady locally that got jail time because a utility worker found her 2 year old wandering around outside and she was asleep. the town was BLASTING her in the paper and i felt bad for her in a way. she should've had a chain at least and a 2 year old couldn't have figured that out.....BUT in my old house we had a sliding glass door and my son could open it when he was 2. one morning i opened my eyes (lying in bed) to see my son hanging by his underwear from a tree out my window. it's wasn't funny at the time, but he literally got his underwear hung on a branch and was HANGING from the tree by his undies! was i being neglectful by not having a security system on the house? i didn't know my two year old could open the door (at that time) and he didn't try to wake me up. it was 7:30 a.m. and he snuck out. i wasn't doing drugs. i wasn't passed out drunk. that's why i empathized with the lady i mentioned. thank god my son has an older sister as a partner in crime. she wouldn't let him wander off, but what if he had? what IF he chased a butterfly into he street when he snuck outside while i was in the shower? i was telling my mom awhile back, would i get charged for taking a shower while having children? or POOPING while having children for that matter! what would be my crime? no REASONABLE person (which is the law) would think their 2 year old would wake up and sneak outside to climb a tree in the early morning. i could understand if it had happened multiple times and i didn't do anything about it (which is why i want deadbolts) but my husband doesn't want deadbolts incase of a fire.

to make a long story short - what is the cheapest way to be alerted if the door is being opened?
professionalmom 05:36 AM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
what is the cheapest way to be alerted if the door is being opened?
I think there is a device that looks like a big padlock that just hangs on the doorknob and senses motion, which sets off the alarm.
Check out the Door Guard Alarm at http://nservices.com/door.htm
This one is portable and be used in hotels because it doesn't require installation. There are many others out there that do require installation. You can them from $12 - $25.
melskids 09:22 AM 06-27-2010
Lowes has door alarms for $20. they have two pieces, one you stick on the door jam, and one you stick on the door so theyre almost touching. when the door opens, the alarm sounds. (licensing required me to have them because of the pond on our property). after shelling out $80 (for 4 doors) i found them at the dollar store they work just as well. go figure....

as far as windows, i cant see where they would be alowed to not have screens. not only is it a hazard for a child to fall out of, but it lets all sorts of critters in. that cant be good.

here licensing required me to put up barriers in the window sills or at least put large furniture in front to block the windows.

and i must add, we live with our windows open. i couldnt imagine them not. we are on top of a mountain with a beautiful breeze all summer and hardly need the AC.
QualiTcare 01:15 PM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
Lowes has door alarms for $20. they have two pieces, one you stick on the door jam, and one you stick on the door so theyre almost touching. when the door opens, the alarm sounds. (licensing required me to have them because of the pond on our property). after shelling out $80 (for 4 doors) i found them at the dollar store they work just as well. go figure....

as far as windows, i cant see where they would be alowed to not have screens. not only is it a hazard for a child to fall out of, but it lets all sorts of critters in. that cant be good.

here licensing required me to put up barriers in the window sills or at least put large furniture in front to block the windows.

and i must add, we live with our windows open. i couldnt imagine them not. we are on top of a mountain with a beautiful breeze all summer and hardly need the AC.
which dollar store has those? dollar general or the actual $1 store?
Tags:safety, security
Reply Up