Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Stopping By
KDC 11:46 AM 03-28-2014
Time to take my address off my website. I just had someone "stopping by to see my facility, and check for openings" During nap time no less!! I just explained it is against regulations for me to let them in while I had other children here, and they understood. Everything I have explains, I'm a HOME daycare. Caught me off guard!
Blackcat31 12:13 PM 03-28-2014
Originally Posted by KDC:
Time to take my address off my website. I just had someone "stopping by to see my facility, and check for openings" During nap time no less!! I just explained it is against regulations for me to let them in while I had other children here, and they understood. Everything I have explains, I'm a HOME daycare. Caught me off guard!
I address that on my website.

I have it under a FAQ's section that reads like this:

3. Can I stop in anytime and have a look around?

We would be thrilled to have you stop by and visit, however, in order to maintain a safe, secure and trusting environment for the children enrolled in our program, we prefer that you make an appointment. Parents of enrolled children are welcome to drop in at any time, however grandparents and extended family members are required to call ahead before dropping by.
Dia 01:05 PM 03-28-2014
This reminds me, a couple of months ago a lady showed up at my house and just walked right in (my doors are normally locked but my ds 11 just went out to go to the neighbors house)

While I was picking my jaw off the floor this lady (who spoke very limited English) asks " you do daycare here?"

Totally freaked me out.....I thought it was licensing for a quick second before I realized they would never just barge in. Turns out Texas workforce sent her out with a list of addresses and told her to go check some places out... so she did.

She then proceeded to argue with me about leaving and I was starting to freak out because she was very hard to understand and I don't think she understood me.

I guess it comes with the territory..
mountainside13 08:55 PM 03-28-2014
Originally Posted by Dia:
This reminds me, a couple of months ago a lady showed up at my house and just walked right in (my doors are normally locked but my ds 11 just went out to go to the neighbors house)

While I was picking my jaw off the floor this lady (who spoke very limited English) asks " you do daycare here?"

Totally freaked me out.....I thought it was licensing for a quick second before I realized they would never just barge in. Turns out Texas workforce sent her out with a list of addresses and told her to go check some places out... so she did.

She then proceeded to argue with me about leaving and I was starting to freak out because she was very hard to understand and I don't think she understood me.

OMG!! I would totally flip out! That would scare the c**p out of me!! Really, who does that?!?
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 03-29-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
OMG!! I would totally flip out! That would scare the c**p out of me!! Really, who does that?!?
Happened to me too... family was foreign (well mom was). Called me from my driveway. When I told her I like to schedule interviews in advance verses just on the spot. So she came to the door to set up an interview...

It was kind of weird but they ended up being an AWESOME family and I had them for two years before they moved again...

Their profession didn't allow them to stay in one place long.
KiddieCahoots 11:26 AM 03-29-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I address that on my website.

I have it under a FAQ's section that reads like this:

3. Can I stop in anytime and have a look around?

We would be thrilled to have you stop by and visit, however, in order to maintain a safe, secure and trusting environment for the children enrolled in our program, we prefer that you make an appointment. Parents of enrolled children are welcome to drop in at any time, however grandparents and extended family members are required to call ahead before dropping by.
Love that!
Crazy8 11:33 AM 03-29-2014
I changed the name of my daycare a few years ago and use HOME DAYCARE in the title and I can't tell you how many people still think I am a daycare center when they call. I have always only put my development name on my advertisements, websites, etc. and I won't put up signs for the same reason.
mountainside13 04:27 PM 03-29-2014
Happened to me too... family was foreign (well mom was). Called me from my driveway. When I told her I like to schedule interviews in advance verses just on the spot. So she came to the door to set up an interview...

It was kind of weird but they ended up being an AWESOME family and I had them for two years before they moved again...

That's great that they turned out to be a good family!
DaisyMamma 03:54 PM 03-30-2014
Originally Posted by Dia:

Holy cow!

DaisyMamma 03:55 PM 03-30-2014

Wow. I probably wouldn't have been able to get past the initial first impression and wouldn't have enrolled them.
Reply Up