Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hot Water
SilverSabre25 07:31 AM 04-17-2014
Yesterday I found a crack in one of our wooden rolly-noisemaking toys so I put it up. DCB (two in two weeks) got hold of it while I was changing a blow out on the infant this morning. He SLAMMED it into the floor and it snapped. I'm angry.

Then I turned around a few minutes ago to find him ripping a board book in half! This child isn't even allowed near books because he eats holes in them. It's one of the big, like 12x12 board books too. I'm steamed now.

If he wasn't leaving at noon I'd stick him in bed for an early nap because I just can't deal with him today. The worst part is that when I was clearly angry he just gave me a vague smile.

ARGH.
Second Home 07:42 AM 04-17-2014
Do you have a policy that parents are responsible to pay for items that a child breaks on purpose ?
If so then I would have them pay for the book . If not then maybe add one .

It is one thing to rip / break something by accident but totally another to to do it on purpose ( and then smile ) .
TaylorTots 08:13 AM 04-17-2014
*Hugs!*

I agree with Second Home above. I would tell DCP at pickup "DCB destroyed toys and books today. If this happens again I will be increasing your rate by $X a week to make up for the supplies I have to replace."

If DCP argues or says it is a phase, I would further state, "Other DCK do not have this problem of destroying toys and books." or "It may be a phase and when he ages out of this phase I will decrease your rate at that time."

Good luck!
Blackcat31 08:18 AM 04-17-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
Do you have a policy that parents are responsible to pay for items that a child breaks on purpose ?
If so then I would have them pay for the book . If not then maybe add one .

It is one thing to rip / break something by accident but totally another to to do it on purpose ( and then smile ) .
I don't think a soon-to-be two year old is destroying the books purposely.

It's age appropriate. Annoying. Costly and frustrating but it isn't a deliberate act of destruction for an almost 2 yr old to destroy a book imho.

I would never charge a parent for something like that as that kind of destruction comes with the territory.

If a 7 yr old tore pages out of a book, I'd call that deliberate.

As a parent I would be upset if my provider tried to charge me for my 2 yr old eating/ripping or tearing books.

Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
*Hugs!*

I agree with Second Home above. I would tell DCP at pickup "DCB destroyed toys and books today. If this happens again I will be increasing your rate by $X a week to make up for the supplies I have to replace."

If DCP argues or says it is a phase, I would further state, "Other DCK do not have this problem of destroying toys and books." or "It may be a phase and when he ages out of this phase I will decrease your rate at that time."

Good luck!
I do NOT allow parents to use that line of thinking about what other people's kids are or aren't doing so I won't use it back to them.

I DO believe the book eating, tearing, destroying IS a phase and one that will be gone soon enough with a little patience and really close book supervision. ;-)
preschoolteacher 08:33 AM 04-17-2014
I agree with BC. I don't think an almost-2 year old quite understands that he shouldn't rip up a book. If the child was 4 or older, I'd be charging the parents.
KDC 10:06 AM 04-17-2014
I have this DCB! I've learned that really nice board books are kept out of reach for the whole group, and only used with my supervision. I also went to goodwill and bulked up on picture board books that I don't care about. I find that I'm really attached to the ones I paid full price for, or that my own children received as gifts.

It is frustrating when you have that one kid that can't play with the toys nicely. I have one of these and unfortunately, the whole group suffers a bit because of it. The main toys are legos, thick chunky puzzles, blocks, mega blocks, ratty board books, plastic durable cars, little people... things of that nature.

I have an area in my living room that my 2.5 yr. old is allowed with the 4's (I have open floor plan) where I have special toys and he can gain access with good behavior. That's where I keep my nice toys

Good luck!!
SilverSabre25 10:13 AM 04-17-2014
Yeah I know he isn't doing it deliberately. Not exactly. He's just....he's a difficult child anyway and then to ruin two things back to back is just a bit much for me. I kept my cool through it though.

But I would expect that by two a child would show some reaction when their caregiver is angry....his vague smile set off red flags. It manages to look like a very bratty smile somehow--but was a very inappropriate response to someone being angry at what they are doing. When I was trying to talk to him about each incident he started babbling while I was talking. which was both concerning and maddening.

He's not normally allowed books (my son brought it down to share with someone else) and I am the one who forgot to put the toy further away (though I get tired of his climbing to get things he shouldn't have. He only plays with or interacts with things he should have, usually.)
TaylorTots 10:16 AM 04-17-2014
I missed the two in two weeks part. But hey, I hadn't had coffee yet so it's excusable I assumed the child was at least 3. I believe I learned in early childhood courses that ripping books at toddler and infant age is a form of literacy actually.

Good point BC - perhaps a statement of "What other DCKs do is not the discussion. I take care of them - just as we are taking care of this." or something to that tone but a little less snarky

We have all board books in the daycare area. In the entryhall we have the art cabinet (2 feet high) and on top is a basket of big kid books. That way during rest time and story time we access the big kid books but during free play they can choose from board books.
My3cents 11:15 AM 04-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't think a soon-to-be two year old is destroying the books purposely.

It's age appropriate. Annoying. Costly and frustrating but it isn't a deliberate act of destruction for an almost 2 yr old to destroy a book imho.

I would never charge a parent for something like that as that kind of destruction comes with the territory.

If a 7 yr old tore pages out of a book, I'd call that deliberate.

As a parent I would be upset if my provider tried to charge me for my 2 yr old eating/ripping or tearing books.

I do NOT allow parents to use that line of thinking about what other people's kids are or aren't doing so I won't use it back to them.

I DO believe the book eating, tearing, destroying IS a phase and one that will be gone soon enough with a little patience and really close book supervision. ;-)
I agree with this. Annoying, yes......and esp if it is a favorite. I don't like the comparing either. Not really right. They all grow differently-

The little bugger would be my best friend and if needed his toys would be limited for a while until he has better control.
Reply Up