Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Moral Support Please
Pammie 07:37 AM 06-20-2010
I need a little moral support - or someone to tell me that I'm screwing up - I'm open to both. Here's my situation - warning-long:

I've come to the realization that I'm simply not earning enough for my family by solely doing daycare. My enrollment is max-ed out per state regulations, and my rates are slightly above average for my area....so I've felt like I've really maximized my earning potential with daycare. I've even tried offering after-hours care and parents-nights-out, but don't have enough takers frequently enough to make that worthwhile.

So last week I started applying for evening/weekend part-time jobs, and got one yesterday! Yay me! After 23 years of doing daycare, I'm really excited to leave the diapers and binkies for awhile each day and get out in the real world and talk to grown-ups and wear real clothes.

So my new job is well aware that I work full-time and is willing and happy to schedule me nights starting at 6pm and weekends. Great! Now all of my daycare clients during the school year are teachers, and all do their pick-ups between 3:45 and 4:15 with the exception of one family (who both mom and dad are teachers) but always pick-up between 4:45-5:00 - I currently close at 5pm. So I'm planning to change my "closing time" to 4:30 beginning when school starts...just to give myself a little breathing-room before I have to be at the other job at 6. I figure that gives everyone 2 months notice, and I really don't think that any other family will have an issue with it, except this one. Now I know many of you soley do "contracted hours" and I've tried that in the past and I'm glad it works for you, but doesn't for me...so I don't want to switch to that kind of a contract.

A little background about the family that I expect an issue with: They've been with me for 7.5 years now, and left their last provider because she changed her hours from closing at 5 to closing at 4:30. This fall, they'll have 2 girls in school - which Dad picks up every afternoon at school at 3:30 - his contract day ends at 2:30. So I'll just have the youngest in daycare. I figure it shouldn't be a problem for them to pick up dcg by 4:30 (the older girls' school and their home is about 10 minutes from mine) - but it will just not be as convenient for them to leave littlest dcg here until 5 like they have been doing.

I love this family - especially the kids, but I also expect them to give notice over this and find alternative daycare that they can leave the littlest one at till 5 every day. So I just need a little support that this is an okay change for me to make.
Former Teacher 08:00 AM 06-20-2010
Oh yes Pammie..you are doing the right thing! You need to better you and your family. You don't need to worry about ONE family.

In my experience, parents take advantage of daycare hours. I don't care what anyone say are "contracted" hours etc. I believe that a parent is paying for a service and they are entitled to use that service however they want.

Our enrollment form had a space at the top part of the paper that asked approx. what hours will the child be in care. 99.9% of the parents stated 630-630. Of course majority would drop off later than that and pick up earlier. The craftiest parents left that section blank

Anyway back to your post: You don't need to revolve your business around this one family. Think of it this way, when a person makes a choice, not everyone is going to be happy. If they choose to leave, its their loss.

Good luck! Remember you can count on us to be supportive
tmcp2001 08:05 AM 06-20-2010
Yay for you - finding a job outside the home sounds like it will be great for you!

Question - so the dad picks up the older girls at 3:30 but leaves the younger one at daycare until 5pm? Why? It really shouldn't be all that hard for him to pick up the little one too...

If they don't stay with you over this it will be fine - income from one less child + a whole bunch of other good families = no big deal. Plus, you'll be happy with your new job, right? I think it will all work out for the best! Good luck to you!
momma2girls 08:25 AM 06-20-2010
Great for you!! GOod luck on your new job!!!
I changed my pick up times to 4:30 this yr. and boy has it been nice!!! I used to be open til 5:00 and it was always after 5:00 when they picked up. Who cares about myself and my family!!!
THere were many times I had to leave at 5:00 for different things- swim lessons, girl scouts, appts. meetings, supper, birthday parties, dance, gymnastice, softball, the list goes on and on........ It all works closing at 4:30- it has made a huge difference- I can at least get supper going, van loaded, etc. even now there are many times I have to leave right at 4:30 or 4:45, so I still do not have a lot of time to get everything going, but at least it is alot better than before. I have 3 teachers children as wel, they were always late picking up- school is out at 3:20 here!! The schools are all within 10 -15 min. from here!!!
momma2girls 08:29 AM 06-20-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Oh yes Pammie..you are doing the right thing! You need to better you and your family. You don't need to worry about ONE family.

In my experience, parents take advantage of daycare hours. I don't care what anyone say are "contracted" hours etc. I believe that a parent is paying for a service and they are entitled to use that service however they want.

Our enrollment form had a space at the top part of the paper that asked approx. what hours will the child be in care. 99.9% of the parents stated 630-630. Of course majority would drop off later than that and pick up earlier. The craftiest parents left that section blank

Anyway back to your post: You don't need to revolve your business around this one family. Think of it this way, when a person makes a choice, not everyone is going to be happy. If they choose to leave, its their loss.

Good luck! Remember you can count on us to be supportive
I think many daycare centers and in home daycares around here- placed limits on the times the children can be in daycare- there are many centers that have a 10 hr. limit!! There are many in home daycares that have a 9 or 10 hr. limit each day.
I think if you are only charging $25.00 per day- for 9 or 10 hr. a day- this is only $2.50 an hr. I know some daycares in town here try to be the cheapest, so everyone flocks to them, at only $90-$100.00 per week for one child, then offer great sibling discounts like $50.00 for an additional child per week. How can you possibly even feed a child all meals, drinks, and snacks for $10.00 per day let alone all the other things you have to buy for crafts, activities, and essentials for the day.
Former Teacher 01:26 PM 06-20-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I think many daycare centers and in home daycares around here- placed limits on the times the children can be in daycare- there are many centers that have a 10 hr. limit!! There are many in home daycares that have a 9 or 10 hr. limit each day.
You're right...Texas has a law that a child cannot be in care for more than 12 hours in a 24 hour period. My former center is open 630-630. And yes children would be in care from opening to closing. I would be SO furious because the younger the child, the longer they were in care.

There are other states that have a 10 hour limit. I believe that NO child should be in care longer than 11 hours. 1 hour to get to work, 1 hour to come home, 8 hour day, and 1 hour break. I am being generous on travel times because even I, now, work 50 mins away.

Sad thing about TX though is this. A child cannot be in care longer than 12 hours. Employees cannot be in care longer than 10 hours. Hmmm what is wrong with this picture??
momofboys 02:12 PM 06-20-2010
Congrats on getting another job! I hope your teacher family stays on with you & does not object to the earlier hours. That being said are you going to be working every evening? I personally would just be concerned that I would get burnt out from having a house full of kids all day & then going straight to work. I would be worried I would never have any ME time & I rarely get it now. I don't think you are screwing up but I think you may be setting yourself up to run yourself ragged. I hope it works out for you though.
Pammie 04:34 PM 06-20-2010
Oh goodness no....won't be *every* evening - but will change from week to week. My husband suggested just letting parents know which days I would want to close at 4:30 and stay open till 5 the other days - but this group of clients doesn't have the best track record of reading notices and remembering the very rare occasion that I've needed early pick-ups (for dr. appts and such). So I just decided a consistent and regular closing time would be best for my sanity.

Plus, there is really no reason other than their extra convenience that this one family stays till 5. Like I mentioned, Dad's a teacher at the highschool, so his contract day is over by 2:30...he picks up older siblings at the elementary school at 3:30....then does goodness knows what. Usually, Mom's contract day ends by 3:45 but she's the one that picks up the littlest dcg at my house at 5. And yes, I know that teachers have responsibilities that go beyond their contracted hours..but this is every single day.

Thanks everyone for your support!! I know it's the best decision for my family..and honestly, I'm at the point with this one particular family I'm expecting an issue from - that I'll accept their notice and call the next family on my wait-list.
momofboys 04:50 PM 06-20-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:
Oh goodness no....won't be *every* evening - but will change from week to week. My husband suggested just letting parents know which days I would want to close at 4:30 and stay open till 5 the other days - but this group of clients doesn't have the best track record of reading notices and remembering the very rare occasion that I've needed early pick-ups (for dr. appts and such). So I just decided a consistent and regular closing time would be best for my sanity.

Plus, there is really no reason other than their extra convenience that this one family stays till 5. Like I mentioned, Dad's a teacher at the highschool, so his contract day is over by 2:30...he picks up older siblings at the elementary school at 3:30....then does goodness knows what. Usually, Mom's contract day ends by 3:45 but she's the one that picks up the littlest dcg at my house at 5. And yes, I know that teachers have responsibilities that go beyond their contracted hours..but this is every single day.

Thanks everyone for your support!! I know it's the best decision for my family..and honestly, I'm at the point with this one particular family I'm expecting an issue from - that I'll accept their notice and call the next family on my wait-list.
That sounds good I think! And I agree, set a certain time & stick with it! If 4:30 is what you need so be it! Your teacher family sounds like mine. DCM is done at 3:40 or so but never is able to pick up until 5:00 although I know if she HAD to she could easily be here 90% of the time by 4:30.
GretasLittleFriends 04:57 PM 06-20-2010
I need a little moral support - or someone to tell me that I'm screwing up - I'm open to both. ..... So I just need a little support that this is an okay change for me to make.
... I know it's the best decision for my family..and honestly, I'm at the point with this one particular family I'm expecting an issue from - that I'll accept their notice and call the next family on my wait-list.
You remind me of me, worrying about things that you can't control and prepare for worst case scenarios... I was reading the first post and could understand your concern about losing a family. Part of me was wondering, well, if you lose this one child you could always advertise for another. And you are earning a second income that should help supplement the money lost if that child leaves.

Then I read that last statement in your recent post and started giggling, yet wondering, if you have a waiting list, what are you worried for?? I figure you have a waiting list for one of two reasons... Either there are too many children in the area and not enough providers OR you are a high quality provider and people have heard about you and want you caring for their children. Given the fact that you have 23 years experience, I'm going to put my money on the second one.

Oh, and of course, congratulations on the new job! I totally understand you're excitement of getting out of the house and talking to adults a little more frequently.
TGT09 05:38 PM 06-20-2010
I think it's great that you found a job to supplement. But, I also think that you should pick a pick-up time and stick with it. It will be way too confusing for you and parents to get pick-up times and days straight.
melskids 03:58 AM 06-21-2010
i say go for it. if they are going to be that petty over a 1/2 hour, let 'em leave....lol

i too have teachers families who dont show up until 5:15. School lets out at 3:00 here!!! i understand teachers have papers to grade and lesson plans to develop, but come on. how come i can go to school (online) at night with my kids here, but they cant grade papers with their kids with them....
Golden Rule 10:43 AM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
I think it's great that you found a job to supplement. But, I also think that you should pick a pick-up time and stick with it. It will be way too confusing for you and parents to get pick-up times and days straight.
I agree....completely. Your new employer may ask you to work more at some point if a co-worker needs off, or leaves early. It would be nice to be able to get more hours when offered without having to juggle parents (or leave wiggle room for them to say they forgot and show up late).

Who knows, they may end up offering you full-time with better pay?
professionalmom 01:45 PM 06-21-2010
Here's a thought: Even though you have been providing excellent (must be excellent or they would have moved on already) service to this family for over 7 years, do you think they would give YOU or your family a second thought if they had a financial situation that meant they would have to alter the hours they needed you? It would be nice to think that they would have some loyalty to us since we give our clients so much loyalty. But the bottom line is business is business. You have to think about your family first and foremost. They sure will. Plus, even though they did change providers before for this very reason, that was a long time ago, times and situations have changed, and it's not like both parents are working that late now. So, if they get pissy and want to change from a very loyal, excellent provider to a stranger over a measly 1/2 hour which is NOT critical to their lives, so what?! That just means that they are too flaky and too self-centered. Why would you care more about about someone like that thinks about you, than about doing what is best for your family - whose opinions really matter?

Drop the guilt and do what you need to do for your family. I wish I could take a part-time job out of the house to close the financial gap, but my hubby works FT outside the home and goes to school FT. So, even if I did find a PT job outside the home, I would have to put DD (& newborn twins in Nov) in child care which would eat up any and all that additional income. So, we don't even have that option.
Pammie 11:56 AM 06-29-2010
First - thank you all so much for your moral support!!

Update - I gave notice to all of my families last week. My summer families were great about me closing daycare 1/2 hour earlier, and all offered to make the switch immediately (I was going to wait til Sept).

I also sent notices to all of my teachers families, and they too all responded with great support! The one family that I expected to leave over this, sent me an email saying they understand my reasons, and will adapt their personal schedules any way they have to in order to keep their girls with me! Not the response I expected, but...yay!!

And I'm having sooooo much fun with the new job! It doesn't even feel like work!

Thanks again to everyone that responded---this board is awesome!!
misol 12:27 PM 06-29-2010

Update - I gave notice to all of my families last week. My summer families were great about me closing daycare 1/2 hour earlier, and all offered to make the switch immediately (I was going to wait til Sept).

I also sent notices to all of my teachers families, and they too all responded with great support! The one family that I expected to leave over this, sent me an email saying they understand my reasons, and will adapt their personal schedules any way they have to in order to keep their girls with me! Not the response I expected, but...yay!!

And I'm having sooooo much fun with the new job! It doesn't even feel like work!

This is fabulous news! I am glad that everything worked out for you. It's great that you are enjoying the new job. Congratulations!
tmcp2001 12:59 PM 06-29-2010
That's great!!! I'm glad everything worked out and that you are having fun with your new job!
TGT09 01:44 PM 06-29-2010
Glad you got a great response from your families!
momofboys 03:34 PM 06-29-2010

Wow, that's awesome Pam! I'm glad you are enjoying the new part-time job also!
Tags:extra work, second job
Reply Up