Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paid Holidays
Francine 03:33 AM 12-10-2011
Good Morning! What would you do in this case, I see it two different ways. I have taken both Mondays off for my paid holidays but I have two kids that usually have Wednesdays off. I am fully expecting at least one of them to ask if the can bring the kid on Wednesday since I am closed on Monday. Yes, if I allowed it I would still be getting my regular weekly rate and I still get a day off but they aren't really paying me for my paid holiday if they switch days around. This little guy has 3 older sibs (late teens,early 20's) that can watch him if Mom and Dad both have to work, Grandparents live in town, etc. etc. they are covered.

Over Thanksgiving I allowed it because I was taking Friday off and NOT getting paid, they still paid me for Thanksgiving.

Is it wrong of me to say "no"?
morgan24 03:49 AM 12-10-2011
I would only do it if I wanted to and tell them that Monday is a paid holiday so it will be extra for Wednesday. Then they have the choice if they want to pay extra or not.
Francine 04:02 AM 12-10-2011
Thats the thing, I don't want to! If I say no the only one that I will have that day is a three month old and that is only if the Mom and Dad get called into work. They work at two different places and both are just on call so I could have the day off. Yes, I will have to stay near the house in case they do get called in but still.
morgan24 04:08 AM 12-10-2011
Just say sorry I already have plans for that day. You said they have lots of back up who dcb could stay with, so it's not like they have no one. Enjoy your day off!!
bice99 08:38 AM 12-10-2011
Perfect answer. I have a DCM who tried to do this. I am normally flexible with her if she wants Tuesday instead of her normal Monday, plus Thurs and Fri. 4th of July week, she wondered why she had to pay for an extra day. I told her my holiday was paid per my contract, so Tuesday was an additional day. But I always had the option to say, "no," when she asked to trade days. Sometimes I didn't have anyone else on that day, or we had plans, so I would tell her it didn't work with my schedule. She was fine with that once she understood it.
Francine 07:04 PM 12-10-2011
Thanks you guys, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a hard a--. I only have 5 kids, not the 6 that I allowed because I like to be able to offer my families some flexibility with their schedules as long as I am not suffering. When it comes to paid holidays there are times when it still needs a bit of explaining on my part, they just don't get it.
Tags:paid holidays
Reply Up