Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>New In Missouri With Unique Situation
Tiny'smom 08:56 AM 10-25-2013
Hello, happy to be here!!! I want to open a home family childcare business. I have a unique situation though and I am not sure if I will be able to do it. We are a military family and we bought two houses in one. We have our home we live in and we have what some may call a mother-in-law house adjacent to our home that we live in. It is in our backyard and is inside our fence. It it is a one bedroom with a small living room and kitchen and a one car garage. It is basically another small house/apartment. This is what I want to use to start my childcare business. Is there anyone out there who has done this the same way? Someone who has opened their business in a structure they own, but is not the home they dwell in. I was trying to go through the base program, FCC, but they had some questions about it and sent it to higher people and because of the government issues they have not received an answer back yet. They also don't plan on having another class until January. I'm trying to start sooner than later. Most of all I am trying to find out if I can even do it.

Thanks for any advice.
BrooklynM 11:12 AM 10-25-2013
Just out of curiosity, on your mortgage loan, did you purchase it as a Single Family Residence or was it a 2-unit property?
Tiny'smom 11:26 AM 10-25-2013
Single Family
BrooklynM 11:29 AM 10-25-2013
I'm not in Missouri, but I think it should be fine. If you have any issues, I would see if there is an appeal process. Being that it is a SFR, I would think it would be fine and it sounds like a great set up! Hopefully they will let you know soon-waiting is the worst!
Blackcat31 11:31 AM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by Tiny'smom:
Hello, happy to be here!!! I want to open a home family childcare business. I have a unique situation though and I am not sure if I will be able to do it. We are a military family and we bought two houses in one. We have our home we live in and we have what some may call a mother-in-law house adjacent to our home that we live in. It is in our backyard and is inside our fence. It it is a one bedroom with a small living room and kitchen and a one car garage. It is basically another small house/apartment. This is what I want to use to start my childcare business. Is there anyone out there who has done this the same way? Someone who has opened their business in a structure they own, but is not the home they dwell in. I was trying to go through the base program, FCC, but they had some questions about it and sent it to higher people and because of the government issues they have not received an answer back yet. They also don't plan on having another class until January. I'm trying to start sooner than later. Most of all I am trying to find out if I can even do it.

Thanks for any advice.
Welcome to the forum.

I operate my family child care out of a home I do not live in.

It was purchased for child care only.

I know of many providers who have a separate space for their child care. Many are attached to their homes (garages, basements, additions etc) and several own separate buildings on separate properties.

If I were you, I'd check with your state's licensing rules and regulations as to what you can and can't do.

The contact info for your state can be found here: https://www.daycare.com/missouri/

I think it sounds like a ideal set up.
Unregistered 01:34 PM 10-25-2013
You all are amazing. I didn't expect responses so quickly. Thank you so much. I will be going to a class where I fill out an application to be licensed and find out more information. I hope this does work out, because it would be such a blessing. I love working in childcare and having my own childcare business would just make it even better. I worked in childcare before we moved here and I miss the kids so much. Again thank you all so much for you quick and informative responses. So glad to hear there are others who do this in a home they don't live in, I really thought I might be the only one trying to do it...lol
Tiny'smom 01:35 PM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You all are amazing. I didn't expect responses so quickly. Thank you so much. I will be going to a class where I fill out an application to be licensed and find out more information. I hope this does work out, because it would be such a blessing. I love working in childcare and having my own childcare business would just make it even better. I worked in childcare before we moved here and I miss the kids so much. Again thank you all so much for you quick and informative responses. So glad to hear there are others who do this in a home they don't live in, I really thought I might be the only one trying to do it...lol
I guess I wasn't signed in when I posted this. It was from me
Familycare71 08:03 PM 10-25-2013
In my state if care is not provided in the same home that holds my families kitchen we have to be licensed as a center. I hope this isn't the case for you- sounds like it would be ideal!
Welcome
Tags:missouri members
Reply Up