Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>USDA Meals
tenderhearts 07:35 AM 12-06-2017
Do any of you have trouble finding things to feed the kids according to usda guidelines? None of my dc will eat whole grain bread, they will eat just wheat (enriched) bread but not the other, none will eat whole wheat tortillas, I've tried several times, even transitioning by putting flour tortilla on top then the whole wheat on bottom but they still "taste" a difference and say they don't like it. With the guidelines saying we need to feed the 2 serving of whole grain rich foods a day I"m running out of ideas??

It was also so frustrating yesterday had my unannounced visit and she was here an hour, talk about so inconvenient and frustrating, she said they have to take photos of all the "whole grain", yogurt, tofu labels now whatever you are feeding at the visit, I asked if it would be taking this long each time and if they had to do this at each visit and she said yes, I told her I knew it wasn't her fault but how do they expect you to do your job when you have little kids here? They have never been here that long but she said it's because of the new guidelines.
sharlan 09:23 AM 12-06-2017
My kids love the Sara Lee whole grain soft&smooth white bread.
tenderhearts 09:59 AM 12-06-2017
Thank you, I will look into that for sure.
Vesta 10:18 AM 12-06-2017
Do you have a Kroger near you? My kids have always eaten the Kroger store brand whole wheat everything. Their knock off wheat thins actually make these kids clap. The Barilla brand whole wheat pasta is the only type I have found tolerable. You have to cook it to death, but they like it. Goldfish have whole grain varieties that meet the standards.
momofsix 10:42 AM 12-06-2017
Many of the belVita cookies are whole grain too.
My kids love them.
hwichlaz 10:56 AM 12-06-2017
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Many of the belVita cookies are whole grain too.
My kids love them.
Cookies other than animal crackers and grahams aren’t creditable anymore.
hwichlaz 10:57 AM 12-06-2017
Mine eat it because it’s all I’ve ever served.

Sometimes I get a new kid, who starves himself for a couple of weeks, then falls in line.

I put healthy food in front of them, they choose to eat it or not.
Leigh 11:11 AM 12-06-2017
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Does this bread qualify as whole grain rich?
I thought it didn't, but if it does, I'm all over it!

Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
Do any of you have trouble finding things to feed the kids according to usda guidelines? None of my dc will eat whole grain bread, they will eat just wheat (enriched) bread but not the other, none will eat whole wheat tortillas, I've tried several times, even transitioning by putting flour tortilla on top then the whole wheat on bottom but they still "taste" a difference and say they don't like it. With the guidelines saying we need to feed the 2 serving of whole grain rich foods a day I"m running out of ideas??

It was also so frustrating yesterday had my unannounced visit and she was here an hour, talk about so inconvenient and frustrating, she said they have to take photos of all the "whole grain", yogurt, tofu labels now whatever you are feeding at the visit, I asked if it would be taking this long each time and if they had to do this at each visit and she said yes, I told her I knew it wasn't her fault but how do they expect you to do your job when you have little kids here? They have never been here that long but she said it's because of the new guidelines.
Guidelines require only ONE whole grain rich grain per day, so that should make it easier. MANY cereals would meet this requirement, and you could serve cereal at breakfast or at snack time. Whole grain pancakes or waffles. Whole grain crackers are something my kids will eat. None of mine will eat wheat bread, but they will all eat 12-grain breads and they will eat Pepperidge Farm Jewish Rye. Mine won't eat the wheat tortillas, either, but I just make sure to get the whole grain in at another meal. Most of mine are at breakfast or snack time.

It is tough to change kids over to whole grain-I have had some issues, myself, but they have accepted it MUCH better than I thought they would.
Unregistered 11:59 AM 12-06-2017
Originally Posted by sharlan:
You may want to ask your FP about this product.

According to USDA guidance, a whole grain has to be listed first (or second after water) in the ingredients list, and the next two grain ingredients must be creditable (whole or enriched grains, bran, or germ)

Sara Lee Soft & Smooth White made with Whole Grain bread's ingredients - Enriched wheat flour, water, whole grain wheat flour, sugar, yeast, wheat gluten, cellulose fiber, calcium sulfate, salt, soybean oil, preservatives (calcium propionate, sorbic acid), monoglycerides, soy flour, datem, grain vinegar, citric acid, soy lecithin, vitamin d3, potassium iodate.

J
Reply Up