Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Adding Parents to Your Facebook
Oneluckymom 11:28 AM 11-22-2011
Do any of you do this...Friending DCP on your personal facebook. I just got an alert on my facebook that one of the moms has added me as friend.

Should I???
Zoe 11:40 AM 11-22-2011
Do you actually know her, or did prior to starting childcare? I am only facebook friends with one of my dcm's and that's ONLY because we were friends before starting childcare with her son. We went to high school together, we went to Europe together, we have ridiculous amounts of things in common. And most importantly, we had the talk about making sure this arrangement doesn't ruin our friendship. I know she won't judge me on what and when I post on facebook.

Long story short (sorry ) if they're not your friends in real life, there's no reason to accept their friend request. It opens them up to nit-pick what you say and post on there as something to accuse you of doing wrong with your daycare. Keep it separate.
Cat Herder 12:05 PM 11-22-2011
I would not.... al least not until their child aged out of my care.

After they go off to pre-school they are no longer "clients"...they are family friends (unless they start asking for constant favors...then they are family JK...feeling punchy today).

For me it is more about some of my more colorful friends... I could not rein them in if I tried.
wdmmom 12:28 PM 11-22-2011
Nope. I have a FB for the daycare and one for personal use. If I'm stressed and say "I want to bang my head against the wall and drink a bottle of tequila after work", I don't want a daycare parent to see that. It's none of their business. The only relevance they need to know specifically is how their child was, when he/she was changed and when he/she ate last. They don't need to know whether I had a bad day or not, they don't need to know if I wanna slap my sister upside the head, they don't need to know it's my kids' birthday, they just don't need to know.
Ariana 12:38 PM 11-22-2011
I have one parent on FB but she was on there prior to me offering care. Since I've started offering care however I've blocked her from my wall updates (to her it just looks like I'm never on FB). The other parent I have no intention of friending!
Unregistered 12:50 PM 11-22-2011
Nope, wouldn't do it. I did it to a client and she ended up burning me leaving after 7 years with no notice because she didn't want to pay a school age fee. I want to delete her and her perfect world so bad. Some day I will "clean house" and she will be gone.
nannyde 12:55 PM 11-22-2011
Yes they are on my personal facebook and my daycarewhisperer facebook

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...2002882&ref=ts
Oneluckymom 12:55 PM 11-22-2011
no....i did not know her prior to daycare. I also thought the same thing....its my personal space and would not want DCP involved.
Oneluckymom 12:59 PM 11-22-2011
What should I say if she brings it up at pick up. I dont want to be rude...
nannyde 01:02 PM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
It doesn't bother me to have them on Facebook at all. I don't really put anything bad on there. I even have my kids rotated as my profile pic. They love it when it's their kids turn.

I also have no life and what life I do have is very boring.

I don't allow cussing or anything foul on my page. If I see it ... I delete it. For me, it's harmless. Heck they read daycare.com My facebook is a walk in the park compared to my posts here. They get to see "nice Nan" on facebook... the Nan that wishes her auntie a happy birthday.
Zoe 01:09 PM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Just tell them that you like to keep your business and your personal life separate. That's all! Say it with a smile and mention that it's nothing against them, it's just something you strive for.
Oneluckymom 01:09 PM 11-22-2011
I dont have anything "bad" on facebook, but do have extended family and in-laws on there that post pics of our get togethers and other parties we attend from time to time. Just uncomfortable because of the family stuff.
caligirl 03:16 PM 11-22-2011
I do, and kind of wish I hadn't. I have to be careful not to say anything I don't want them to see...like 'I NEED FRIDAY TO HURRY UP BECAUSE I'VE HAD IT FOR THE WEEK......and I don't know exactly how to 'unfriend' them without hurting feelings......Although, I've thought about starting up just a daycare wall, telling them that I'm changing my personal wall to just be family and close friends but starting up a daycare wall
wdmmom 03:19 PM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by caligirl:
I do, and kind of wish I hadn't. I have to be careful not to say anything I don't want them to see...like 'I NEED FRIDAY TO HURRY UP BECAUSE I'VE HAD IT FOR THE WEEK......and I don't know exactly how to 'unfriend' them without hurting feelings......Although, I've thought about starting up just a daycare wall, telling them that I'm changing my personal wall to just be family and close friends but starting up a daycare wall
Block them or unfriend them and change your settings to make you unsearchable. Then it will appear like you don't have a FB page!
SandeeAR 05:56 PM 11-22-2011
I have a personal and a daycare FB page. I have 4 of my 5 families on my personal page too. The fifth has only been here a month. I don't see us as ever being "friends, friends". We are just too opposite. Besides I am old enough to be the mother to all but one of my parents.

I did tell all my parents upfront, my personal page is just like YOUR personal page. If I'm have a bad day, I may post something about it. DON"T take it personal. It is NOT directed at the children at all. I just get tired of my job and the responibilites, just like you do.
beachgrl 10:03 PM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
Just tell them that you like to keep your business and your personal life separate. That's all! Say it with a smile and mention that it's nothing against them, it's just something you strive for.
I have used that very line, that'd why I have a business page..no need for anyone that isn't close friends fam to be on my personal page...
DaisyMamma 05:00 AM 11-23-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Nope. I have a FB for the daycare and one for personal use. If I'm stressed and say "I want to bang my head against the wall and drink a bottle of tequila after work", I don't want a daycare parent to see that. It's none of their business.
Exactly! I have two parents on my facebook because they were on there before starting daycare. One of them I got by posting "I have 3 daycare openings" on facebook, but NOW I feel like I cannot vent about ANYTHING, I dont want them to see any bad comments
DaisyMamma 05:01 AM 11-23-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have one parent on FB but she was on there prior to me offering care. Since I've started offering care however I've blocked her from my wall updates (to her it just looks like I'm never on FB).
OMG How do you do that??
mismatchedsocks 05:43 AM 11-23-2011
I have almost all my daycare parents on there. I send updates that way, tag them in important reminders, post things JUST for them, block everyone else. I also block them from some of my posts, I have them in a list called daycare families and before I post something you can go to the right side arrow of the post and click custom, then select hide from these people, and i chose daycare families.

I like sharing my pictures with the families, BUT we have get togethers every other month, the guys do a football thing with the dads and moms who are on the fantasy football team at BWW on sundays, and i love the block feature on FB.

I even block my family from posts I dont want them to see, like ideas for gifts, venting about them, etc.
Tags:facebook
Reply Up