Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Facebook for Dummies
spud912 05:39 PM 01-24-2013
I'm trying to create a Facebook page for my daycare but had a couple of questions for those of you with more experience. I feel like such a dunce as I normally can do these type of things on my own, but can't even find the answers I need on Google.

So I went to create one and deduced that I should make it a business page. So it's set up as a business page under "education." Those of you who have a Facebook page, is that how you did it?

Second, it automatically tied itself into my personal account when I liked it and now I'm unsure if I should have done that because it keeps switching back and forth between the two.

Third and most important: can I even set privacy for a business page? I want it to be completely private except to those who have "liked" it. I don't mind if it pulls up under the search function, but I don't want any of the photos in particular to be public. These photos would be just for the daycare families. I've looked EVERYWHERE and cannot for the life of me figure out how to set the privacy! Grrrrr!

I'm about 2 seconds away from throwing in the towel on this idea altogether! I even set up a dummy facebook account to see what pulls up when I look at the page as someone who hasn't "liked" it and it's not even pulling up in the search function!

PLEASE HELP ME!
ABCDaycareMN 05:46 PM 01-24-2013
You want to create another person type of page but name it your daycare. Two different face books 2 different passwords.

What you created was a page that can only be liked. That's good to have if your advertising and such....
mamac 05:47 PM 01-24-2013
I just started my first facebook page today after 3 attempts at trying to get my business name as the title. I finally realized that there WAS such a thing as a business page but that's as far as I got. Now I have various personal pages with my name mushed together different ways so that it would be accepted as a "real name". lol. I am totally new to fb to begin with so I am super lost. Hopefully this thread will shed a little light my way! Sorry I was no help to you!

Wishing both of us lots of luck!
daycare 05:54 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
I just started my first facebook page today after 3 attempts at trying to get my business name as the title. I finally realized that there WAS such a thing as a business page but that's as far as I got. Now I have various personal pages with my name mushed together different ways so that it would be accepted as a "real name". lol. I am totally new to fb to begin with so I am super lost. Hopefully this thread will shed a little light my way! Sorry I was no help to you!

Wishing both of us lots of luck!
I am also super lost when it comes to FB.....find a teenager, they will do it all for you...ol that is what I had to do...
ABCDaycareMN 05:58 PM 01-24-2013
I just tried but it wouldn't allow me to use my daycare's name. Maybe you could try your first name and middle name your daycare's name and last name daycare idk just ideas.
mamac 06:01 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
You want to create another person type of page but name it your daycare. Two different face books 2 different passwords.

What you created was a page that can only be liked. That's good to have if your advertising and such....
Hmmm.... So I was correct in trying to make a personal page not business? It's very difficult trying to get a name that is easy to remember and type in.- Where to put spaces, where to smush it together, etc. They seem pretty strict on sticking to only real names.
spud912 06:05 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:

I tried, but just like mamac said, it won't let you name a page as anything but a normal name. Argh! Why do they have to make things so difficult!
kendallina 06:06 PM 01-24-2013
I've been through this too. I've created all kinds of business pages, trying to get the 'features' that I wanted. But, finally, I figured out that what I wanted to do was create a "Group", not a business or additional personal page.

On your main facebook page, look on the lefthand side, there is a section for Groups. Select Create Group. Having it as a group has allowed me to only let people in that I want. I really like it. Then, when I'm logged in as my personal page, I can just go to the left and click on my group if I want to post something there. Really easy.

Hope that helps.
spud912 06:12 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I've been through this too. I've created all kinds of business pages, trying to get the 'features' that I wanted. But, finally, I figured out that what I wanted to do was create a "Group", not a business or additional personal page.

On your main facebook page, look on the lefthand side, there is a section for Groups. Select Create Group. Having it as a group has allowed me to only let people in that I want. I really like it. Then, when I'm logged in as my personal page, I can just go to the left and click on my group if I want to post something there. Really easy.

Hope that helps.
I have some questions and you may not know the answers, but here goes anyway:
*Can you post pictures to only the group?
*Also, do you have to "friend" the daycare families with your personal account in order to add them to the group?
*Is there any way to tie a group to a business page?
momofsix 06:20 PM 01-24-2013
My daycare f/b page is a "group". Only those that I invite can join the group.
I put pictures on the page, our menu, reminders etc.
I don't "tag" anyone in the pictures so they only show up on the peoples walls if they tag their own pictures-which I do allow..
kendallina 06:23 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by spud912:
I have some questions and you may not know the answers, but here goes anyway:
*Can you post pictures to only the group?
*Also, do you have to "friend" the daycare families with your personal account in order to add them to the group?
*Is there any way to tie a group to a business page?
You can post pics that only the group can see, yes.

You do not have to friend families with your personal account, they will only see your group account.

I don't know the answer about tying a group to a business page...
spud912 07:31 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by kendallina:
You can post pics that only the group can see, yes.

You do not have to friend families with your personal account, they will only see your group account.

I don't know the answer about tying a group to a business page...
Thanks so much...I will do that.

I guess I will keep my business page...I already have one "like" besides my own and it's only existed a few hours haha!
Tags:facebook
Reply Up