Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Else Keep Logs on Each Kid?
E Daycare 05:38 AM 01-19-2011
For this new year I decided that with all the issues that come with having other peoples kids in the house I would start keep a journal of each kid. I really wish I started from the go as Id have logs to go back and say see "this happened 3 times etc..." I dont know why I didnt think of this before seeing how I worked in Health care years ago and keeping written logs has saved my rear before. Im just afraid with new contract changes a parent may get on me for the why is this like this and so forth. If I have "proof" to back up my reasoning I might have a shot if I ever need to go to court.

Has anyone done this (or is doing this) and have you had to use the logs/journals to prove your case? If so, have they been effective or have they been a downfall? I know its good to have records for my own behalf. So far this month, the books are pretty heavily filled out. And on just two kids.
Bonnie 07:18 AM 01-19-2011
I am new to DC this year and watch all Teachers Kids. One specifically asked I keep a daily log because pick up time can be chaotic and not enough time to talk about entire day etc...
My log is as follows on a long sided 1/2 sheet of paper pre copied
It looks a little nicer but here it is in basic form.

Name
Date
Diaper count Wet
Dirty
Potty attempts
Breakfast Time
What we ate
Morning Activities
Lunch Time
What we ate
Afternoon Activities
Nap Time
After Nap Activities
Boo Boo's ?
Supplies Needed
Other Issues

I find that if especially one parent drops off and the other parent picks up that they actually read these logs
My4SunshineGirlsNY 08:39 AM 01-19-2011
Here in NY we have to keep a written log for each child. I keep a notebook in each childs' personal file bin. And yes, it is to save our butt just in case. I have been bad at logging info in them but I am making an effort remember because my 2 year old daycare boy hurts other kids....so if I log that in, I have all the incidences on record.

It is a very good idea to keep this up because it can help you just incase a parent wants to accuse you of something.
Michelle 08:55 AM 01-19-2011
Minute menu ha a cool daily report that automatically fills in the meals and then I just type in the books we read and things we do, they have a place where we can write notes for each child on their own report (but I haven't figured out how to do it yet).

In Ca. we don't have to keep logs, but most parents like it.
Abigail 09:08 AM 01-19-2011
Wow, Minute Menu has a lot to offer. Bites that I don't know anyone locally who uses it so I could tinker around with it. I already have heard so many great things about it that I'll do it. If I didn't have a program to type things into, I would only keep one basic journal that keeps track of how each of our days went. Menu's are preplanned so instead of rewriting each menu every day, I would just give the day's meal a short code like 1.A for week one Monday and 2.D for week two and Thursday. Get what I mean? I'd obviously have how the day went in general and write any new accomplishments for the kids. This would be for parents to view just keeping mind that I wouldn't state anything bad about the kids. If an accident happened that day, I would simply put "Biting occurred between two children" and then go to the accident report forms in another location to find the two sheets (one for the biting child and one for the child who was bitten).

The main thing to remember is to make sure you have a written record of events that would draw a concern. You also should keep up to date and write them down when they happen and inform parents that day. No one wants to hear their child was bit yesterday! LOL, so make sure you are prepared to fill it out same day and let parents know. You also should have them sign it so it's proof they're aware of the incidents their child was involved in or did.
BentleysBands 09:24 AM 01-19-2011
I do a daily sheet each day but as for a log no. The only logging I do is bad behavior, accident report or a parent problem.
lvt77 09:02 AM 01-22-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Wow, Minute Menu has a lot to offer. Bites that I don't know anyone locally who uses it so I could tinker around with it. I already have heard so many great things about it that I'll do it. If I didn't have a program to type things into, I would only keep one basic journal that keeps track of how each of our days went. Menu's are preplanned so instead of rewriting each menu every day, I would just give the day's meal a short code like 1.A for week one Monday and 2.D for week two and Thursday. Get what I mean? I'd obviously have how the day went in general and write any new accomplishments for the kids. This would be for parents to view just keeping mind that I wouldn't state anything bad about the kids. If an accident happened that day, I would simply put "Biting occurred between two children" and then go to the accident report forms in another location to find the two sheets (one for the biting child and one for the child who was bitten).

The main thing to remember is to make sure you have a written record of events that would draw a concern. You also should keep up to date and write them down when they happen and inform parents that day. No one wants to hear their child was bit yesterday! LOL, so make sure you are prepared to fill it out same day and let parents know. You also should have them sign it so it's proof they're aware of the incidents their child was involved in or did.
you can get a 30 free trial, but it is limlited with what you can do using the limited version..
I love MMK, so far worth every penny..
E Daycare 09:42 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
Here in NY we have to keep a written log for each child. I keep a notebook in each childs' personal file bin. And yes, it is to save our butt just in case. I have been bad at logging info in them but I am making an effort remember because my 2 year old daycare boy hurts other kids....so if I log that in, I have all the incidences on record.

It is a very good idea to keep this up because it can help you just incase a parent wants to accuse you of something.
Yup I believe so too! I hope I never have to use it but with other people, no matter how good the relationship is, you just never know.
Tags:child logs, daily reports, logs
Reply Up