Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>more montessori questions for the Montessori influenced FCC
Heidi 12:51 PM 08-06-2012
-I saw the vegetable peelers and choppers. At what age do you introduce them? Is 2 1/2 too early? I would not have them on a tray, but would be doing this as more of an activity. Like...making vegetable soup or carrot bread.

-Do you rotate your trays or are they always the same? I only have 3 kids here that are over 2 (and at most would have 5). So, how many work trays should I have, and should I change the materials on them periodically?

-Do you have art supplies available at all times? If so, do you set up trays for those, or could you, or just have a designated spot for small groups to color, cut, etc?

-What about dramatic play? I have a housekeeping corner, and it's definately a group activity, not an individual on-the-mat thing.

I'm not asking what the official Montessori way is, I'm wondering what works for people that are Montessori influenced family daycare.

I had been thinking about using for my kids to help with some of the fighting over toys, and to help my little guy who is not a strong free-player. He mostly goes around disturbing other people, and it would help him with boundries. Then, the threads about Montessori came up and got me wondering.

I also want to do some theme-based learning, because I think the parents really like that (it seems more "school" to them), and the kids like the changes and newness of it.

Any ideas welcome!
Hunni Bee 05:16 PM 08-06-2012
Will be watching because I've had some of the same questions.
EchoMom 07:00 PM 08-06-2012
The best part of the Mont. philosophy is that it's all about observation and individualizing. So I don't think there is really any rule as to what age can use the peelers and choppers, you know your kids, you know their impulse control, ability to follow directions, and fine motor skills. Think about it, try it, and see how it goes. If it doesn't work it's not a failure, they just aren't ready and you save it for later.

I can't answer your other questions as I haven't figured out how to do the Mont. works I want to do with such mixed ages. When my infants were pre-mobile I had trays out for the 2s to do, pouring, scooping, etc. but now that all 3 infants are walking, crawling, pulling up, etc. I can't have any of that stuff out and Mont. trays and rugs have fallen to the wayside. Which really bums me out!
SilverSabre25 07:16 PM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
The best part of the Mont. philosophy is that it's all about observation and individualizing. So I don't think there is really any rule as to what age can use the peelers and choppers, you know your kids, you know their impulse control, ability to follow directions, and fine motor skills. Think about it, try it, and see how it goes. If it doesn't work it's not a failure, they just aren't ready and you save it for later.

I can't answer your other questions as I haven't figured out how to do the Mont. works I want to do with such mixed ages. When my infants were pre-mobile I had trays out for the 2s to do, pouring, scooping, etc. but now that all 3 infants are walking, crawling, pulling up, etc. I can't have any of that stuff out and Mont. trays and rugs have fallen to the wayside. Which really bums me out!
Oh, I'm in the same place. I'm trying to make it work. It's also complicated by one dck who just...can't understand that sometimes we keep the pieces together where they belong instead of taking them wherever you want.
Reply Up