Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Should Close And Go Work For One Of My Dcm's!
melilley 11:23 AM 05-01-2014
One of my dcm's is going to our state's university and is earning her degree in child development, or something similar. As soon as she graduates, she wants to open a home daycare and we always talk about issues regarding her doing this and I actually like giving her advice and ideas and she's always raving about and telling others about my dc. In fact, her son wants to come here on his days off...lol She worked in a center when her son started here and also watched kids out of her home-in another state so she knows about daycare.

Well, today she was talking about how she would like to open a group dc (12 kids) and how she would have to hire someone, but was unsure of how that works in terms of them calling in, would you need more than one assistant just in case, things like that.

Then she tells me what she would pay......I was in shock! Her assistant would be making around $40 less than I make here by myself, in a week, which would average out to around $15 an hour!
I told her she was crazy, I have never heard of a home daycare paying their assistant(s) that much an hour. Heck, directors here only make a little more than that! She said she figures she would have 12 kids at $150 per week which is $1800 per week so she could afford to pay someone $600 per week and she would want to make it worth it for someone to stay and not call in, plus she said they don't need the money, must be nice!

I'm thinking I should go work for her! I wouldn't have to work by myself, no wear and tear on my house, wouldn't have to buy toys, supplies, or food, wouldn't have to keep my house up to licensing standards, seems like the list could go on and on!

But then I'd be working for someone else....again. No thanks
NoMoreJuice! 11:36 AM 05-01-2014
Oh, I'd consider it some days! It would be glorious to come home at the end of the day and relax, instead of cleaning and sanitizing and prepping for the next day. I wouldn't miss getting surprise inspections that include my underwear drawer, and dealing with parents who don't want to pay, and on and on...

But I get that part about not wanting to work for someone else. I LOVE being my own boss. When the toddlers aren't telling me what to do.
Blackcat31 11:41 AM 05-01-2014
Yeah, this job looks fantastic on paper and in theory.

Wait until she actually does it.

Bet you things change REAL fast.

She is also not accounting for overhead, pay roll taxes, her own taxes and all the other little things people don't realize until they are knee deep in this.

If I multiplied my weekly rate by the 12 kids I have and considered that my actual profit/income, I'd be able to pay an assistant $600+ per week too.
melilley 11:47 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

She is also not accounting for overhead, pay roll taxes, her own taxes and all the other little things people don't realize until they are knee deep in this.

If I multiplied my weekly rate by the 12 kids I have and considered that my actual profit/income, I'd be able to pay an assistant $600+ per week too.

I told her that she would probably change her thinking after she starts.
I thought a whole lot too before I opened, let's just say I was way wrong on most things...lol

She wants to go into it with her mom so they are co owners and she won't have to do payroll or her moms taxes. Not sure if that can happen or not. Funny thing is, she always says she can't stand her mom (she grew up living with her dad)
SSWonders 11:49 AM 05-01-2014
I pay my assistants $15 per hour.
mindi1314 02:13 PM 05-01-2014
I pay my assistant close to that - she has been with me 3 years. And I ask her to basically do it all ! I could pay minimum wage and get someone young with no ambition and who would probably be unreliable and not working for me very long..... that is what my first 3 assistants did.
I decided to hire someone with an education and treat them the way I would want an employer to. I pay her for holiday's, work around her child's schedule when I can, buy her coffee every Friday and whatever small things I can think of.
She is AWESOME - worth every penny and has my back 100% of the time.
It CAN work !!
melilley 03:13 PM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by mindi1314:
I pay my assistant close to that - she has been with me 3 years. And I ask her to basically do it all ! I could pay minimum wage and get someone young with no ambition and who would probably be unreliable and not working for me very long..... that is what my first 3 assistants did.
I decided to hire someone with an education and treat them the way I would want an employer to. I pay her for holiday's, work around her child's schedule when I can, buy her coffee every Friday and whatever small things I can think of.
She is AWESOME - worth every penny and has my back 100% of the time.
It CAN work !!
That's her line of thinking. If she pays well, then hopefully she will have an assistant that comes to work. She said she's not going to pay sick or vacation days though.

It would be awesome to make that and whoever she hires is going to be lucky! Here in MI no one pays that much for a dc assistant-not that I know of anyways.
TaylorTots 03:18 PM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

The overhead cost of groceries for daycare is insane, I doubt she has any concept on that alone.
TwinKristi 04:49 PM 05-01-2014
When I worked as an asst for my friend/neighbor's daycare she paid me $15/hr as well. Around here that's pretty average. The idea of working for someone else would be the downfall obviously. LOL But not having to do ALL the work for that much money is what's nice! haha! You can go home to your clean house since you weren't working in it all day! LOL
Maria2013 06:15 PM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
She said she figures she would have 12 kids at $150 per week which is $1800 per week so she could afford to pay someone $600 per week and she would want to make it worth it for someone to stay and not call in, plus she said they don't need the money, must be nice!
Even if she was to be always at capacity, she would not make much profit if she paid someone 600 a week...I don't think she is figuring all the expenses

We all had higher expectations while we were thinking of opening our Daycare, didn't we
Reply Up