Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Child Is Out Sick On Pay Day??
Crazy8 12:48 PM 01-08-2016
Do you still require payment to be dropped off? Do you let late fees slide and let them pay Monday (if payment is due Fridays for the following week)??

Do you base it on individual circumstances? (ie, the parent who always disappears on payday vs. the one you never have an issue with who has been out sick most of the week??)
Thriftylady 12:54 PM 01-08-2016
I base it individually. If it is a great parent who normally pays on time, I will let it slide to the next day. If the parent is a pain in my backside not so much.
Blackcat31 12:55 PM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Do you still require payment to be dropped off? Do you let late fees slide and let them pay Monday (if payment is due Fridays for the following week)??

Do you base it on individual circumstances? (ie, the parent who always disappears on payday vs. the one you never have an issue with who has been out sick most of the week??)
A majority of my parents pay via automatic bank transfers so being absent doesnt affect payment due dates.

For those that don't use bank transfers, if I KNOW the family has the ability to swing by and drop off payment or if they've got a "less than favorable" payment history with paying on time, I require them to come by and pay OR be charged with the late fee. NO EXCEPTIONS

Buuuuut, with that said I have made exceptions before for families that have a great relationship with me in regards to paying on time, following policies and having good communication.

So in a nutshell, I've done ALL of those things in the past so I dont think my reply was helpful but that's my two cents.
Crazy8 01:01 PM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
A majority of my parents pay via automatic bank transfers so being absent doesnt affect payment due dates.

For those that don't use bank transfers, if I KNOW the family has the ability to swing by and drop off payment or if they've got a "less than favorable" payment history with paying on time, I require them to come by and pay OR be charged with the late fee. NO EXCEPTIONS

Buuuuut, with that said I have made exceptions before for families that have a great relationship with me in regards to paying on time, following policies and having good communication.

So in a nutshell, I've done ALL of those things in the past so I dont think my reply was helpful but that's my two cents.
LOL! It was helpful because I feel like I do a lot of the same! I had a family that moved 40 min away and still came to me for daycare, I would not make them drop it off. The one who lives 2 minutes away and passes my house 3x a day, yes, I expect it dropped off.
mommyneedsadayoff 01:20 PM 01-08-2016
I agree with BC and Thrifty! It depends on the family, but there has been a few times in the past when my finances were not so great and I actually needed the payment, so in those cases, I asked the parent to drop the payment off or offered to come pick it up when I was out running errands. Those times were my exception because I really needed the money to pay bills or get groceries and whatnot.
spud912 01:22 PM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Sorry, OT a bit, but how do your parents set up automatic bank transfers?
Blackcat31 01:44 PM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by spud912:
Sorry, OT a bit, but how do your parents set up automatic bank transfers?
A majority of our banks allow you to transfer money from your bank account to someone else's account.

It used to be within the same bank only (like if you banked at Wells Fargo you could do an internal transfer from your account to another person who also had an account there) but now it seems all of our area banks advertise money transfers from bank to bank. Even our local home town bank.

It seemed to become rather popular when the area banks all started doing mobile deposits where you just deposit by taking a photo of your check.

I don't know if your banks offer that, but it would be worth calling and finding out. I only noticed they did it when I logged onto my on-line banking account one day and noticed a "TRANSFER" button and had no idea what it was for so I called and asked them.

I was happy to have this method available because now those parents that pay that way can do so easily and can even do so on holidays. All my payments over Christmas and New Years posted and were available for me the same day payment was due (and BOTH Fridays were a holiday day where the bank was closed)
LysesKids 02:31 PM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I base it individually. If it is a great parent who normally pays on time, I will let it slide to the next day. If the parent is a pain in my backside not so much.
This is me... however 3 of my 4 parents pay by the month, so it's usually not an issue; heck one family has paid me by the 20th two months running because of Holiday travel/work schedules just so they didn't have to inconvenience me on my holiday time ... my one problem family is weekly pay on Friday lol and they bitched at drop off this week that I was making them pay the whole 4 days when little miss was absent for the 1st two... I told them it was either that or become a drop-in client & pay higher daily fee in cash
Ariana 02:36 PM 01-08-2016
You need either post dated checks or email bank transfers. When parents used to pay by check I would collect 3 months worth and deposit them as needed. This saves all of the hassle of forgetting or being late etc.
childcaremom 09:37 AM 01-09-2016
My parents all pay via email transfer so it's not an issue.

But like BC said, depending on the parent and the circumstance, I may waive the late fees. However, all my parents have had issues, hence why they all use email transfer now, so that there are no excuses.
284878 01:59 PM 01-10-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
My parents all pay via email transfer so it's not an issue.

But like BC said, depending on the parent and the circumstance, I may waive the late fees. However, all my parents have had issues, hence why they all use email transfer now, so that there are no excuses.
OT - how does the email transfer work?
childcaremom 04:03 PM 01-10-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
OT - how does the email transfer work?
I'm in Canada so it could be different for you....

I do online banking and have an option to send money electronically. I set up the receiver (via email address) and fill out accordingly (when and how much to send, security questions, etc). If I am receiving, I click through the email, log on to my banking acct and accept the money.

It is super easy and super quick.
Reply Up