Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Mileage Question
BumbleBee 03:28 PM 01-11-2019
I had a non-daycare related appointment yesterday that was across the street from a grocery store. Seeing as how I needed milk and bananas for daycare breakfast today, I stopped at the store after my appointment.

Can I count any of the mileage from my trip? I would've had to go to the store anyways I just waited until yesterday since I would be over that way for my appointment.
Michael 10:47 AM 01-12-2019
I think you can at least write off half the trip. If it were me, I’d keep the grocery store receipt and write off all the mileage.
BumbleBee 08:49 AM 01-13-2019
Originally Posted by Michael:
I think you can at least write off half the trip. If it were me, I’d keep the grocery store receipt and write off all the mileage.
Awww you edited your response. The first one gave me a chuckle.

I went with counting the mileage, one way, from the grocery store to my house. But I have the store receipt and can always change to counting the full mileage later.
Michael 12:20 PM 01-13-2019
Well I thought it was funny at first but then realized that a Pius effort was a virtue that shouldn’t be made light of.

For those that wondered what I originally wrote:
Originally Posted by Michael:
“Why would you drive all the way home just to go back to the grocery store to pick up bananas for a deduction?”

TomCopeland 07:50 PM 01-13-2019
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
I had a non-daycare related appointment yesterday that was across the street from a grocery store. Seeing as how I needed milk and bananas for daycare breakfast today, I stopped at the store after my appointment.

Can I count any of the mileage from my trip? I would've had to go to the store anyways I just waited until yesterday since I would be over that way for my appointment.
You can only count trips that are "primarily" for business purposes. Which means more than half of the purchase of the trip was business. In your case the purpose of the trip was for a personal appointment, so you can't count any of the miles. You can never count half a trip.
BumbleBee 03:02 AM 01-14-2019
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You can only count trips that are "primarily" for business purposes. Which means more than half of the purchase of the trip was business. In your case the purpose of the trip was for a personal appointment, so you can't count any of the miles. You can never count half a trip.
Thank you!
Tags:deduction - milage, milage
Reply Up