Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Calling All Providers Who Allow Drop In!!!
Breezy 05:05 PM 01-19-2012
Had an interview today with a family whom I assumed would have my full time weekly rate of $140 but we figured out during the course of the interview that what would really be better (and fair) is a drop in schedule.

I have never done drop in care so I need some help. I figure for the rate I will just do $28 which is what the weekly rate is daily. Or should I just round it up to $30?

She would be giving me the schedule ahead of time but would need different days per week (for now).

I also need to know how to word the contract and handbook for drop in clients...... Any help anyone could give would be appreciated!!!!! I have a handbook for normal PT/FT families but I need to know if there are certain things I should add for them.

I will be rewriting my contract and HB and emailing the revised copy to them!

SO excited to start with this family!!!

TIA!
cheerfuldom 05:08 PM 01-19-2012
I would round up to $30. The main thing with the drop in contract is for them to know that their spot is not guaranteed. You also need a specific amount of notice regarding their schedule. Do you allow last minute changes? unexpected or random drop offs? what about pickup/dropoff times?
Solandia 07:21 PM 01-19-2012
My ft rate is $150, pt rate with a pretty regular schedule is $35, drop in rate is still $35, but they have to pack a lunch because I I often don't get enough notice and I won't do a meal rearragement or last minute shopping trip to accommodate a drop in. Drop in for school agers is $30, and pack a lunch.
JaydensMommy 08:06 PM 01-19-2012
I no longer do drop ins since I am full. But I tried to accomodate part time schedules or drop ins before. If they are expecting you to hold a spot for them for all five days I would have them pay for the full time spot. I had a family that wanted to do that. They said they needed three days and possibly the other two at times. I let them know that I could accomodate it only until I could fill that spot with someone full time, I would not be able to hold their spot. They understood and chose to pay for the full rate so they would not lose their spot and have the whole week available to them. But if you are going to allow them to do drop in, you really should charge more than what you do for full time. I think $35 would be fair.
Countrygal 04:26 AM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by JaydensMommy:
I no longer do drop ins since I am full. But I tried to accomodate part time schedules or drop ins before. If they are expecting you to hold a spot for them for all five days I would have them pay for the full time spot. I had a family that wanted to do that. They said they needed three days and possibly the other two at times. I let them know that I could accomodate it only until I could fill that spot with someone full time, I would not be able to hold their spot. They understood and chose to pay for the full rate so they would not lose their spot and have the whole week available to them. But if you are going to allow them to do drop in, you really should charge more than what you do for full time. I think $35 would be fair.
This is how I am doing it. I have part timers because I am just starting out. I will keep them for a couple of reasons - one is before my full time children come and the other also has a full time child and I expect this part time child to also come full time soon.

As for others, I would handle them this way - I will do it for now, but you will either have to look at it as temporary or pay for a full time slot. I can't go over my limit.

As soon as I get close to my limit I am applying for licensing so I can have additional children during the busiest hours and bring in an assistant that I have ready and willing to come! That way I will be able to take part-time for quite a long time.
Breezy 07:19 AM 01-20-2012
Thank you all!
momma2girls 04:06 PM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by JaydensMommy:
I agree, if they want you all 5 days, needing you 3 days this week , and 4 days next week- Mon. Tues. Wed., and Mon. Tues. Thurs. and Fri. that would be all week- they need to pay for all week. My weekly rate is $140.00
MarinaVanessa 04:20 PM 01-20-2012
You should always charge more hourly for drop-in than you do for FT. ALWAYS. I charge $160 a week for FT ($3.20/hr), $108 a week for PT ($3.75/hr), and $40 per day for 10 hours ($4/hr) or $5/hr for less than 6 hours per day for drop-in. Oh and I have a minimum of $20 per day for drop-ins whether they come for 4 hours or not.

The more time you're paying for, the less you pay ... that's how I sell it anyway. In reality I decided how much I wanted to charge for FT and then charged more for PT, and even more for drop-in.

Just remember ... make sure you tell them that drop-in means that there is no guarantee. If you get full and someone asks is interested in a FT spot you can always offer your drop-in client the choice to upgrade and pay for FT, otherwise they lose the spot.

I use the same policy handbook for all clients but drop-in, PT and FT clients have their own different contract. PM me if you'd like the link to my drop-in contract. It can probably give you some ideas.
Tags:drop in care, drop in care rates, drop in contract, drop in rates
Reply Up