Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>What Is A Normal Attention Span For A Toddler?
Unregistered 02:51 PM 06-26-2013
Can someone tell me what a short, normal and long attention span looks like for a 2-year-old?
SilverSabre25 02:57 PM 06-26-2013
eh, anywhere from .02 seconds (things they don't care for, like diaper changes) to 15, maybe 20 minutes (for things they really get into).

It also depends on temperament, parenting style, environment, etc.

Average is probably about ten minutes.
Blackcat31 02:58 PM 06-26-2013
A normal attention span is 3 to 5 minutes per year of a child's age. Therefore, a 2-year-old should be able to concentrate on a particular task for at least 6 minutes, and a child entering kindergarten should be able to concentrate for at least 15 minutes. (Note: A child's attention span while watching TV is not an accurate measure of his or her attention span.)

http://www.kidsgrowth.com/resources/...il.cfm?id=1007
Unregistered 03:02 PM 06-26-2013
What kind of activities are people talking about when people talk about attention span for toddlers? Does attention span just refer to attention during structured activities or does this also unstructured activities like going up and down a slide, or playing with tupperware in a kitchen cabinet? I'm not at all clear on what "attention span" means for young children. Thanks!
SilverSabre25 08:45 PM 06-26-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What kind of activities are people talking about when people talk about attention span for toddlers? Does attention span just refer to attention during structured activities or does this also unstructured activities like going up and down a slide, or playing with tupperware in a kitchen cabinet? I'm not at all clear on what "attention span" means for young children. Thanks!
I don't know the official definition, but I would say unstructured, activities of a child's choosing.
kimmills 08:23 AM 08-19-2013
Attention span will vary depending upon what a toddler is expected to give his/her attention to. Something that interests them will hold their attention for a longer time but something that doesn't will not warrant more than a glance.
Tags:add, attention span, milestones
Reply Up