Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Child..Magically Better
Luvnmykidz 04:41 AM 08-12-2014
So I have an infant that was sick Wednesday with vomiting. Parent was notified but I didn't have any other dck's so I never said she had to pick up. She picked up early took child to the doctor and brought back saying nothing was wrong as far as they could see. I felt something was up but then thought that teething and sticking her fist in her mouth could've caused it as well. Then Thursday she had really loose stools (looser than normal) and vomited right before pick up. Parent was informed and told to let me know if it continues through the night. DCK comes Friday and has really bad diarrhea immediately after drop off and begins vomiting. A request for pick up is made. I ask the parent to keep me posted throughout the weekend as to her condition. I don't hear from her at all. So Sunday evening I text that DCK needs to be symptom free for 24 hrs before returning. No response until Monday morning 1 1/2 hrs after drop off. I get a text saying DCK wont be in mom will be home with her and they've been at the ER all day. Not sure how that works for all day as its only 8:45 AM but whatever. I respond to inform me of a diagnosis and let me know how she's doing and if she still has diarrhea. She responds ok and yes. Don't hear from her again until I text that afternoon to see how she is. She responds she is doing well, no vomiting or diarrhea all day and no diagnosis from the ER. Nothing is wrong. I then email a form requesting a physician to fill out informing me of what she's had since diarrhea and vomiting were present since Wednesday. Also inform her that the form must be given to me and then based on the info I decide if it is in the best interest of the child and daycare for her to return at that moment. No response until that evening asking if I will take her today. I respond I can not answer that without seeing the form and diagnosis. Mom becomes pissed and says nothing is wrong with the kid and shes been home with her all day and she has been fine. Then says she doesn't get why I get to decide when she can come back especially since she is just fine and has been all day. And then she cant miss another day of work and has no one to watch her so can I please take her, she will have the form filled out later in the afternoon but must go to work. I respond that the form is required to protect all involved and per licensing I have a standard I must go by to do this. I again got no response. My question is as a provider would you have handled this situation differently? How would you have responded to her tantrum.
nannyde 05:03 AM 08-12-2014
She was probably given iv fluids in the Er so she was probably better yesterday.

The mom is bullying you. She needs to follow directions and get a diagnosis note NOT a return to daycare note.

The mistake you made was allowing her to stay on day one when she was sick. That set the stage for mom to think you will make exceptions.
Unregistered 05:04 AM 08-12-2014
Your fisrt problem is allowing her to come back the first day.It doesn't matter the reason why she got sick or had diarrhea.You needed to exclude for 24 hours at thatvpoint and not allow to come back until she has been symptom frr for 24 hours,not whenever mom has to fo back to work.I don't have anyone fill out any form.It's my daycare,I decide who and when a xhild comes back.Not a doctor,not licensing,me!
I wouldn't respond to her tantrums.Just repeat that she can return after she has no symptoms for 24 hours.Not your problem,you are the provider,not thevparent.It bugs me when people act so put off over caring for their own kid!-It's called parenting people!
Luvnmykidz 10:20 AM 08-12-2014
Thanks ladies. You're absolutely right I should have never accepted her back into care the first day she was sick. Well I still haven't heard from the mom since her tantrum yesterday evening. I bet she will try and just show up tomorrow morning with the form as if nothing happened. This is the part of the business I don't enjoy, dealing with grown children. The kids are great but the parents sometimes can be the worst brats ever.
Shell 10:27 AM 08-12-2014
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
Thanks ladies. You're absolutely right I should have never accepted her back into care the first day she was sick. Well I still haven't heard from the mom since her tantrum yesterday evening. I bet she will try and just show up tomorrow morning with the form as if nothing happened. This is the part of the business I don't enjoy, dealing with grown children. The kids are great but the parents sometimes can be the worst brats ever.
This is horrible- I can't believe the gross bodily fluids you have had to deal with- yuck! Glad you stood your ground. Some parents...
Luvnmykidz 11:00 AM 08-13-2014
I have not heard from dcm since Monday evening when she was having her tantrum. She didn't contact me yesterday to bring the form or inquire if she could return today with the form. Per my handbook care will be terminated for not calling or showing for two consecutive days. It is not immediate termination but a two week notice to terminate care. So if I have not heard from her by the close of business she will be given a two week termination notice. Now my question is since I require the notice to be signed do I email and ask her to sign it and mail or drop off or do I mail it to her and hope she signs it? I still have all of the babies items here, do I just wait for her to come get them and have her sign the paper in order to receive the items? I don't want the things or a issue just want the paper signed stating she is terminated and has received all of her items. If she does contact me today, I no longer wish to do business with her and will still give a two weeks termination notice.
Thanks for any advice.
NightOwl 11:30 AM 08-13-2014
I think you are within your rights to withhold the child's things if dcm owes you money, but not in lieu of a signature. But it may be different depending on your state. Unless.... The form she must sign is a combo of "you're terminated AND received all of your belongings" kind of thing. You could definitely hold the items then.

If you've decided to terminate regardless, why wait for her to contact you today? I would just get it over with. Rip that bandaid off. Lol.
hope 11:31 AM 08-13-2014
I would text, email or call (whatever you are comfortable with) and explain that you need to give two weeks term notice and why. Tell her you require a signature and ask when she will be in next to sign. If she doesn't reply or doesn't plan on coming back then have her sign when she picks up her belongings.
Luvnmykidz 09:27 PM 08-13-2014
So I emailed her the termination notice. She stated that she's been trying to contact me about her concerns with my policy but hasn't been able to get in contact with me. Funny how her text informing me that she contacted licensing came through just fine as well as her complaints against me charging for field trips.
cheerfuldom 10:07 AM 08-14-2014
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
So I emailed her the termination notice. She stated that she's been trying to contact me about her concerns with my policy but hasn't been able to get in contact with me. Funny how her text informing me that she contacted licensing came through just fine as well as her complaints against me charging for field trips.
oh my word! so classic. you give a mom one "no" and all of sudden they have a hundred issues which were never mentioned until they were termed. gah. call licensing to give them your side, document everything and term immediately (no notice). Now that she is called licensing on you, you cannot let her or her child into your house again! Get her and her kid and her stuff out the door asap.
Tags:diarrhea, diarrhea policy, illness policy
Reply Up