Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviewing Multiple Families for 1 Spot
spud912 03:15 PM 07-20-2016
Anytime I have a vacancy, I usually have several interviews for 1 spot. Lately, I've had a lot of parents who are confused and/or offended by the fact that if they like my services, they don't necessarily "get" the spot.

So why is it that they get to interview multiple child care providers but we don't get to pick the best fit for a family coming into our home on a daily basis?

Does anyone have this issue? How do you address it to the potential families?

I'm frustrated because I decided to take a family after multiple interviews and now she is rejecting me because I wouldn't take her immediately when she said she wanted to go with me. I'm glad I dodged that bullet, but seriously?
KTsKids 03:45 PM 07-20-2016
I also interview multiple families whenever a spot opens up. I actually want families to be aware that there is a bit of competition for the space-I find that they are more likely to adhere to my policies when they realize that they are easily replaced. Not only that but we absolutely should be able to pick the family that is the best fit for our program and for the kids already in care.

Typically at the end of the interview I wrap up by saying something like "Go ahead and take some time to think about it and let me know if you're interested, I know childcare is a big decision! I've got 2 more interviews scheduled later this week and I'll be making a final decision by Friday." Occasionally a parent may seem a bit offended, I explain that not every program is a good fit for every child/family and that I want junior to be in a situation where he is comfortable and happy. Try to present it from the angle that your looking out for the best interest of their kiddo.
Meeko 06:09 PM 07-20-2016
Some parents think they are interviewing you for a job and that they will be your boss. They feel they are employing a nanny.

So they are offended when you let them know that YOU will decide which child you will take into YOUR home.
Blackcat31 09:36 AM 07-21-2016
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Some parents think they are interviewing you for a job and that they will be your boss. They feel they are employing a nanny.

So they are offended when you let them know that YOU will decide which child you will take into YOUR home.
I agree with this.
I think so many parents feel as if they are hiring you so they are gobsmacked then when we don't automatically "take the job".

I always tell people when I set up the interview that I am interviewing multiple families in some way or another so that they understand that from the get go.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:18 AM 07-21-2016
I do this practice too, so I think it's more a matter of you feeling confident in doing what is necessary to run your business. And by the way, sometimes it's a blessing to be able to weed out the ones that aren't a good fit.

That client you spoke of just made the case for using this practice.
Controlled Chaos 11:57 AM 07-21-2016
I even tell families I have multiple interview when I don't lol. I really think it does help parents to understand you are a real business. I know I had one parent who had trouble picking up on time (always paid the fee immediately but still not a good thing) and I was just about to give them 2 weeks notice when they told me "We are so sorry! We have arranged for ____ person to pick up on time when we are unable. We don't want you to replace us with someone more punctual!" They have been 5 min late once since then in the last 9 months. Not bad If they are offended then it is a good indication they would try and be your boss.
284878 06:46 AM 07-22-2016
Shortly after I started, I was talking to my sister and commented that a list of questions complied for when I interview clients. She let me know that I was incorrect and it was the parent that interviewed me. She did not like the idea that the providers could possible been interviewing her, after all it was HER child that she was leaving in their care. She was unwilling to see my side of the care. How the client, without a background check and fingerprinting check, that I have would be around MY daughter. MY and my child's safety is just as important as hers and her child's.
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 07-22-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
Shortly after I started, I was talking to my sister and commented that a list of questions complied for when I interview clients. She let me know that I was incorrect and it was the parent that interviewed me. She did not like the idea that the providers could possible been interviewing her, after all it was HER child that she was leaving in their care. She was unwilling to see my side of the care. How the client, without a background check and fingerprinting check, that I have would be around MY daughter. MY and my child's safety is just as important as hers and her child's.
It's funny how parents simply can't see the other side of things.

I had a DCD once that would periodically stop by during his lunch hour and say hello to his child. He didn't come in the house or disrupt anything, it was usually outside play time so he just stopped and hopped out and had a quick hug/kiss, "how's your day going?" moment with his child on the playground while we all played and enjoyed the sunshine.

One day, he was doing drop off and asked if he could share a concern. Of course, I said "absolutely! What's up?"

He shared that he noticed a "strange man" talking to the kids in the sandbox one day as he drove by and was concerned about me allowing such a thing.

I told him, "No worries..it was just "M's dad"

DCD then says "Yeah, but I don't know him and I am a bit uncomfortable with strangers talking to my child"

I said "What do you think you are to the other kids when you stop and say hi to "B" on your lunch break?"

He stood there for a second (I assume absorbing what I said) and then said "Ohhhhh." and walked out.

I think it was his "Ah-ha!" moment.
284878 05:16 AM 07-23-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's funny how parents simply can't see the other side of things.

I had a DCD once that would periodically stop by during his lunch hour and say hello to his child. He didn't come in the house or disrupt anything, it was usually outside play time so he just stopped and hopped out and had a quick hug/kiss, "how's your day going?" moment with his child on the playground while we all played and enjoyed the sunshine.

One day, he was doing drop off and asked if he could share a concern. Of course, I said "absolutely! What's up?"

He shared that he noticed a "strange man" talking to the kids in the sandbox one day as he drove by and was concerned about me allowing such a thing.

I told him, "No worries..it was just "M's dad"

DCD then says "Yeah, but I don't know him and I am a bit uncomfortable with strangers talking to my child"

I said "What do you think you are to the other kids when you stop and say hi to "B" on your lunch break?"

He stood there for a second (I assume absorbing what I said) and then said "Ohhhhh." and walked out.

I think it was his "Ah-ha!" moment.
Or the parent that wants to come during day for an interview.
Would you want me to have guest over that you don't know (or i have never meet) while your child is in my care?
Then why should you be able to come when other people children are in care?
Unregistered 12:45 PM 07-24-2016
I also think they feel they have finally found a wonderful place for their child and are excited to enroll! Some are disappointed that such a wonderful FCC will not be working out for them.
Reply Up