Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help - New Daycare Family Issues
TXhomedaycare 07:20 AM 08-24-2016
I did an interview with a grandmother of a 3 year old girl and spoke with mom on the phone on Friday (grandma and mom live together). They needed care starting Monday. They agreed to do 10 hour contract time from 7:30 am - 5:30 pm, I have a 10 hour or less per day policy. Mom shows up at 7am on Monday and says to get to work on time she will need to be here at 7 instead of 7:30 I told her she should not have signed the contract and should have called me. I talked to grandma yesterday since she dropped off at 8 and picked up at 5:30 and she said she can drop off and pick up 7:30 am - 5:30 pm per the contract. Today mom shows up at 7 am again and has a letter stating they cannot do 7:30 am to 5:30 pm they she will be here at 7 am. She also said she will be on maternity leave in November and December and wants to know the cost to hold the spot for those 2 months since she will keep her child at home. I found out she was pregnant on Monday via the dcg. I told her I don't usually hold spots long term. I only have 7 spots and my kids take up 2 so I have never held a spot over 1 week. I really want to just drop this family but I have no backbone when it comes to ending an agreement (especially once I have met the child). Help me see the light on this. Sometines you guys think of crafty things to say or do or options I never even think about since I am only 2 years into this business. I weighed the pros and cons and know I probably need to move on but I need some support from you guys to help me have the courage this afternoon to talk to dcp about how I am going to handle this situation. Thanks
daycarediva 07:26 AM 08-24-2016
Dcm, I am terminating our child care contract effective today as I cannot meet your child care needs.

Unless you want to open earlier, then change the fees.
JackandJill 07:29 AM 08-24-2016
I would tell her she can either stick to her hours (7:30-5:30) or put in her notice. She doesn't decide when you open! If it were me, I would have her things packed at the end of the day and then let her know you are done. And i would not be opening my door until 7:30.

It make my blood boil when parents think they can tell you what to do. I hope you stand up for yourself with her!
laundrymom 07:32 AM 08-24-2016
Yep.
Dcm,
Childcare contract is termintaed immediately. Our contract is for 7:30, not 7.
Provider w a backbone.

Unless you want to charge her overtime for 30 min a day. At about 20$ an hour.
284878 07:36 AM 08-24-2016
Do you even have a spot available for the infant?
e.j. 07:39 AM 08-24-2016
My policy on holding a spot is that if the parents want a guaranteed spot when they are ready to return to day care, they have to pay for it - no deals, no discounts. I don't think it's fair to ask me to take a loss in income when I can cut ties and find someone else who needs the spot and will pay full tuition on it. If you explain you don't offer discounts, the situation may resolve itself if she decides to leave on her own.

If not, I would just say, "Dcm, I've given this situation a lot of thought and I don't feel it's going to work out. The hours you need don't mesh with the hours we discussed in the interview and I don't offer a discount during maternity leave. I really think it would be best if you found a provider who is a better fit for your family."
Leigh 07:53 AM 08-24-2016
I have to agree with the others. I open at 7:30, not 7. If you are unable to drop off at 7:30, you'll need to find other care arrangements.

As far as holding spots, I require full price, too. If they're using the spot (and the ARE using it by keeping you from selling it to someone else), then they pay for it. MY income and MY family are what needs to come first.
TXhomedaycare 07:57 AM 08-24-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
Do you even have a spot available for the infant?
No I only take 18 months and up. Her mom asked if I take ccms which is the program for free or reduced price childcare and I told her no so I think she will qualify once she has baby but again I did not find this out until Monday .
Mike 07:59 AM 08-24-2016
Same as above.

7:30 or charge for early drop off
holding spot is full price - I might do a small discount, but not much
otherwise, goodbye
MarinaVanessa 08:56 AM 08-24-2016
SO this is what I got ...
You all agreed to a specific 10 hours per day
Parent signed the contract
Parent discussed that she need an earlier 30 mins drop-off
The earlier drop off would also put her 30 mins over your 10 hour maximum
You let them know that you couldn't accommodate them
Grandma told you that the originally agreement was fine
DCM comes in earlier ANYWAY
DCM came in with a letter in writing telling you again that she was going to need the earlier drop-off and expects you to accommodate her

I'd offer her the following choices and leave it in her court..
1) DCM stick to original 7:30-5:30 agreement
2) (assuming that you are open at 7am) DCM can drop off at 7am and child gets picked up at 5pm, keeping her within her 10 hour day, you both sign a new contract with these hours
3) (assuming you decide to agree to that extra 30 mins and 7am pick up time) DCM can drop off at 7am and child gets picked up at 5:30pm and you both sign a new contract with these hours, DCM pays an extra $15 to $20 a week for the extra 2 1/2 hours a week.
4) DCM gives you her termination notice

I'm also assuming that DCM thinks that because she brought in a written note saying she needs more hours she thinks that this is like a "notice" to you of change in terms. You didn't agree to these terms o she is in breech of contract. The only way that her note is effective is if you both sign/agree to it.
MarinaVanessa 08:59 AM 08-24-2016
As far as holding the spot goes ... if you don't typically hold the spot then don't. Let her know that she can put in a 2 week notice when she goes on maternity leave and she can contact you before she goes back to work to see if you have a spot.

More than likely she's going to want both of her kids to go to the same daycare anyway, most parents do, so I wouldn't count on DCG returning once she leaves. If you hold a spot for her I'd charge full price and let her take it or leave it.
Blackcat31 09:20 AM 08-24-2016
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
I did an interview with a grandmother of a 3 year old girl and spoke with mom on the phone on Friday (grandma and mom live together). They needed care starting Monday. They agreed to do 10 hour contract time from 7:30 am - 5:30 pm, I have a 10 hour or less per day policy. Mom shows up at 7am on Monday and says to get to work on time she will need to be here at 7 instead of 7:30 I told her she should not have signed the contract and should have called me. I talked to grandma yesterday since she dropped off at 8 and picked up at 5:30 and she said she can drop off and pick up 7:30 am - 5:30 pm per the contract. Today mom shows up at 7 am again and has a letter stating they cannot do 7:30 am to 5:30 pm they she will be here at 7 am. She also said she will be on maternity leave in November and December and wants to know the cost to hold the spot for those 2 months since she will keep her child at home. I found out she was pregnant on Monday via the dcg. I told her I don't usually hold spots long term. I only have 7 spots and my kids take up 2 so I have never held a spot over 1 week. I really want to just drop this family but I have no backbone when it comes to ending an agreement (especially once I have met the child). Help me see the light on this. Sometines you guys think of crafty things to say or do or options I never even think about since I am only 2 years into this business. I weighed the pros and cons and know I probably need to move on but I need some support from you guys to help me have the courage this afternoon to talk to dcp about how I am going to handle this situation. Thanks
A letter from who?
TXhomedaycare 09:28 AM 08-24-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
A letter from who?
Mom gave me letter from herself. I guess if she thought she put it in writing and said please make this work it would help.
JackandJill 09:32 AM 08-24-2016
Mom gave me letter from herself. I guess if she thought she put it in writing and said please make this work it would help.

This mom thinks she is your boss. Imagine bringing a written note to Whole Foods, saying I need to come at 6am to shop, because I need to get back before daycare starts at 7:30!

Nope, I would be done with this chickie!
mommyneedsadayoff 09:33 AM 08-24-2016
No I only take 18 months and up. Her mom asked if I take ccms which is the program for free or reduced price childcare and I told her no so I think she will qualify once she has baby but again I did not find this out until Monday .
I am sure once she qualifies, she will leave for a place that accepts it and since you don't take infants anyway, maybe it best to move on and find a family that fits better (and can follow your rules).
Blackcat31 09:35 AM 08-24-2016

Oh, well in that case since she made so official you better listen to her.
284878 06:28 AM 08-25-2016
Put a closed sign on the door with a open time of 7:30 and do not answer until then or if you are in a situation where she comes doing another drop off. Attach a invoice for your early drop off fee. (double your late pick up fee) Have it ready to hand her when she arrives, make it due right then, no pay no stay, see you at 7:30.
TXhomedaycare 12:20 PM 08-25-2016
I wake my kids up at 7 and I am up and ready by then and my kids rooms are in the front of the house and I have to walk past the front door multiple times to get to their room. I would technically have to ignore her at the front door. I gave her her option of paying more, following contract hours or leaving yesterday.
Rockgirl 12:34 PM 08-25-2016
I wake my kids up at 7 and I am up and ready by then and my kids rooms are in the front of the house and I have to walk past the front door multiple times to get to their room. I would technically have to ignore her at the front door. I gave her her option of paying more, following contract hours or leaving yesterday.
What did she choose?

And....being up and about in your home does not have to mean you're open. Not sure what your actual hours of operation are. Mine are 7:30-5:30. If a parent showed up unannounced at 7:00 and saw lights on in my home, they'd have a long wait outside!
Nurse Jackie 03:58 PM 08-25-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I am sure once she qualifies, she will leave for a place that accepts it and since you don't take infants anyway, maybe it best to move on and find a family that fits better (and can follow your rules).
My thoughts exactly
Play Care 05:50 AM 08-26-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
What did she choose?

And....being up and about in your home does not have to mean you're open. Not sure what your actual hours of operation are. Mine are 7:30-5:30. If a parent showed up unannounced at 7:00 and saw lights on in my home, they'd have a long wait outside!
This.
I have gone to retail stores and have seen employees inside getting ready for the day. They don't unlock the doors until their clock hits their official open time. That's business.
lovemydaycare0912 09:52 AM 08-26-2016
I didn't read the other comments but she sounds like a headache. I would term and say it is not going to work out as you contracted for 730 not 7. Don't even entertain the holding the spot for 2 months.
TXhomedaycare 04:55 PM 08-26-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
What did she choose?

My hours are 7-6. She agreed to the 10 hours and will have her dad (grandfather) pick up dcg 7-5. I told her I will not hold her spot for maternity leave. I am going to get a sign so I can let parents know when I am open. We are good for now
spud912 08:04 AM 08-27-2016
Just expect her to terminate before she has the baby .
Reply Up