Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Injury Sustained During Non-Daycare Hours

Just wondering if anyone request parents to sign a form to say that the injuries, markings, bruising on their child were from non-daycare hours? I suppose to cover ourselves.

I'm thinking of putting this in my policy handbook...

Injuries from non-daycare hours
If your child comes to daycare and we notice any markings or bruising due to injury sustained outside of daycare hours we may request you, the parent to sign a form stating that your child's injuries/markings/bruising were sustained during non-daycare hours.

I know its a bit wordy, but it is now nearly 2am! But what do you think? Is it necessary? Does anyone request this or am I being too paranoid?

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:01 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleangeluk View Post
Just wondering if anyone request parents to sign a form to say that the injuries, markings, bruising on their child were from non-daycare hours? I suppose to cover ourselves.

If your child comes to daycare and we notice any markings or bruising due to injury sustained outside of daycare hours we may request you, the parent to sign a form stating that your child's injuries/markings/bruising were sustained during non-daycare hours.

I know its a bit wordy, but it is now nearly 2am! But what do you think? Is it necessary? Does anyone request this or am I being too paranoid?

Thanks.
I do a cursory inspection of all children as they arrive to daycare. If I notice anything of concern, I will mention it to the parents and make a note of it on their communication form and have them initial it. I've rarely had that happen, but yes, I do. Ad it's not on my policies per se.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleangeluk View Post

Thanks.
I will note specific things at drop off and write down in their daily sheet if they have something basic (a bruise or bug bite). The only time I fill out a form and have the parent sign it if it is something I notice that is major or suspicious.

Ex: I have a little boy (I know there is a thread on here somewhere) in my care who at this time was 13 mo. During a diaper change I lifted his shirt and saw a circular scabby mark on his stomach. It was very red around it and I was concerned it was a cigarette burn. I messaged mom and asked if she had noticed it and she said yes she wasn't sure what it was. I required a drs visit and filled out a "Noticed a Boo-boo" form that states when it was noticed, what it was, where it is, and what I recommended; I have the parent sign it at pick up. She took him to the dr that afternoon and it was a staph infection. It got worse before it got better and I did allow him to return to DC as long as it was covered and we didn't have a problem with it spreading. But I wanted to make sure that I had my bases covered if it had been something suspicious or if they had thought he contracted/was harmed here. Its worth the effort to protect yourself.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks so much. Thats really helpful. Guess I'll have to make another form and add it to my collection!!

I agree, Im not going to put it in the policybook in case parents get offended (as I read a reply from another similar thread by a parent) I'll just do health checks as part of the daily routine.

Thanks!!

Tags
injury form, injury report, outside of daycare injuries