Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Finish My Basement!
MNMum 03:37 PM 03-12-2013
I am hoping to get thoughts on my basement finishing. Including kitchen and bathroom essentials.

Bathroom: We currently have a pedastal sink that works well because I can get the high stool in closely, so I.'m considering a pedastal sink for the basement. What else would you think is important? The bathroom will be 9.5 ft x 5.5 ft.

The main space in the basement will be about 800 sq ft. It is in an L shape. the short end of the L will be our kitchen. Right now I am thinking about doing cabinetry along both walls 9.5 ft x 9.5 ft. Will this be over kill? Maybe I just need a kitchenette? on the 9.5 ft wall? I will do at least a fridge, microwave, toaster oven, dishwasher. Would you also do an oven?

Cost is a factor. Does anyone have specific suggestions for cabinets and floors?
blandino 03:58 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by MNMum:
I am hoping to get thoughts on my basement finishing. Including kitchen and bathroom essentials.

Bathroom: We currently have a pedastal sink that works well because I can get the high stool in closely, so I.'m considering a pedastal sink for the basement. What else would you think is important? The bathroom will be 9.5 ft x 5.5 ft.

The main space in the basement will be about 800 sq ft. It is in an L shape. the short end of the L will be our kitchen. Right now I am thinking about doing cabinetry along both walls 9.5 ft x 9.5 ft. Will this be over kill? Maybe I just need a kitchenette? on the 9.5 ft wall? I will do at least a fridge, microwave, toaster oven, dishwasher. Would you also do an oven?

Cost is a factor. Does anyone have specific suggestions for cabinets and floors?

Im not sure what you have decided as far as the toilet goes, but at one point before we moved to our current location we wanted to add a bathroom for just the children's use. We had a sink, but the cost to add a toilet was astronomical. We wound up purchasing a "self-contained toilet", which flushes with a tank of water and has a compartment that holds waste. Although it has to be emptied, which isn't the nicest experience - for us it was a great and economical option for putting in a sanitary toilet that didn't have to have lines put in.

Emptying it isn't pleasant, but it could be worse. It is easiest and best when done daily. It just empties into a regular toilet, and they sell products to keep the smell at bay.

Our model is: http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Thetf...FcWPPAodowgAew

Some of these are more expensive, but would be awesome if budget allowed.
http://www.google.com/search?client=...w=1008&bih=587

As far as floors go, this video is totally what I would do if I were converting again. I think the floors she uses would be a perfect, and affordable option.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nCkQW8n4iU
Scout 04:20 PM 03-12-2013
I would most certainly have an oven if budget permits. If this will be your dc space it will be especially nice to not have to go upstairs to make lunch. Kwim? Make sure you post pics when done!! I would do cabinets on one side, unless u need the extra storage and do a whole wall of cabinets on the floor with a cushion seat on top for storage also. I will see of i can find a pic of what i am talking about. Really cute!
butterfly 05:54 PM 03-12-2013
2 -3 years ago we finished our basement to have a dedicated daycare space. I put in a full, but small kitchen. I think it's definitely worth the cost to have a full kitchen. You could do in stock cabinets/counters from Lowes to save some money. (get a Lowes' card and save another 5%) I actually love my daycare kitchen more than my regular kitchen.

We finished our basement to have dedicated daycare space, but we also kept in mind that we may not be doing daycare forever and I still want to be able to use this space for our living someday too, or maybe even to rent out as an apartment. We did a bathroom with a small shower, created a bedroom where I wanted my nap area to be...

For flooring we used vinyl tile. It has a sticky back on it so all you do is peel and stick it to the floor. It's easy to cut to fit with just a utility knife. It was fairly cheap. For my toy room, I did half vinyl tile and half carpet tiles (also peel and stick). I was able to install all the flooring by myself and it looks beautiful! I've had so many comments on my floor. I even had a contractor friend think it was real hardwood at first glance. (I got the flooring from home depot and Lowes) I got an extra box of each to replace pieces as needed but still haven't had to replace anything.

Here are some vinyl flooring options: (I used a wood plank looking option)
http://www.lowes.com/Vinyl-Flooring/...looring&rpp=32

Here is the carpet tile that I used: (I love it, very plush for a tile) http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2025104...1v&R=202510460
Scout 06:32 PM 03-12-2013
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88872588@N00/3673870334/

here is a pic of a great storage idea!
CrackerJacks 08:05 PM 03-12-2013
I would say if you have the space to do one whole wall of cabinets to do it. When we remodeled our garage I purchased cabinets from ikea, did one whole wall with cabinets with doors half way down the wall....then lower cabinets with a counter and no doors, I used the lower cabinets for daily toy storage. I wish tere was a way to upload photos from my phone, but I can't figure out if that's doable. I've attached a link to my pics on my website. Hopefully you can get some ideas that work for you.

http://lilttlelaughs.m.webs.com/site...etwork=fw#1110
CrackerJacks 08:13 PM 03-12-2013
I guess te link doesn't take you right to the pics page..just go to the home menu and then click on pics

Originally Posted by CrackerJacks:
I would say if you have the space to do one whole wall of cabinets to do it. When we remodeled our garage I purchased cabinets from ikea, did one whole wall with cabinets with doors half way down the wall....then lower cabinets with a counter and no doors, I used the lower cabinets for daily toy storage. I wish tere was a way to upload photos from my phone, but I can't figure out if that's doable. I've attached a link to my pics on my website. Hopefully you can get some ideas that work for you.

MNMum 08:33 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
Im not sure what you have decided as far as the toilet goes, but at one point before we moved to our current location we wanted to add a bathroom for just the children's use. We had a sink, but the cost to add a toilet was astronomical. We wound up purchasing a "self-contained toilet", which flushes with a tank of water and has a compartment that holds waste. Although it has to be emptied, which isn't the nicest experience - for us it was a great and economical option for putting in a sanitary toilet that didn't have to have lines put in.

Emptying it isn't pleasant, but it could be worse. It is easiest and best when done daily. It just empties into a regular toilet, and they sell products to keep the smell at bay.

Our model is: http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Thetf...FcWPPAodowgAew

Some of these are more expensive, but would be awesome if budget allowed.
http://www.google.com/search?client=...w=1008&bih=587

As far as floors go, this video is totally what I would do if I were converting again. I think the floors she uses would be a perfect, and affordable option.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nCkQW8n4iU
Luckily the toilet is all plumbed out and should be easy to put in.

I didn't see anything about floors in the video?
MNMum 08:35 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
I would most certainly have an oven if budget permits. If this will be your dc space it will be especially nice to not have to go upstairs to make lunch. Kwim? Make sure you post pics when done!! I would do cabinets on one side, unless u need the extra storage and do a whole wall of cabinets on the floor with a cushion seat on top for storage also. I will see of i can find a pic of what i am talking about. Really cute!
I'm kinda stuck on the stove/oven. I have to make a phone call and see if it will raise our taxes hugely as then it would be a completely "livable" space. I've heard if you just put a "wet bar" in it doesn't raise the taxes as much?
MNMum 08:37 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
2 -3 years ago we finished our basement to have a dedicated daycare space. I put in a full, but small kitchen. I think it's definitely worth the cost to have a full kitchen. You could do in stock cabinets/counters from Lowes to save some money. (get a Lowes' card and save another 5%) I actually love my daycare kitchen more than my regular kitchen.

We finished our basement to have dedicated daycare space, but we also kept in mind that we may not be doing daycare forever and I still want to be able to use this space for our living someday too, or maybe even to rent out as an apartment. We did a bathroom with a small shower, created a bedroom where I wanted my nap area to be...

For flooring we used vinyl tile. It has a sticky back on it so all you do is peel and stick it to the floor. It's easy to cut to fit with just a utility knife. It was fairly cheap. For my toy room, I did half vinyl tile and half carpet tiles (also peel and stick). I was able to install all the flooring by myself and it looks beautiful! I've had so many comments on my floor. I even had a contractor friend think it was real hardwood at first glance. (I got the flooring from home depot and Lowes) I got an extra box of each to replace pieces as needed but still haven't had to replace anything.

Here are some vinyl flooring options: (I used a wood plank looking option)
http://www.lowes.com/Vinyl-Flooring/...looring&rpp=32

Here is the carpet tile that I used: (I love it, very plush for a tile) http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2025104...1v&R=202510460
Thanks for the flooring links. One of my neighbor's had me come look at her carpet squares. I'm not sure if she just didn't do a good job installing, but you can definetly see that it is carpet squares and not continuous carpeting. Can you see the lines on your carpet? Also, I have 700 ft of flooring to carpet, would this be doable?
MNMum 08:41 PM 03-12-2013
Nice set-up. This may be something we have to add at a later time when we have extra cash. I love the idea of having so much storage out of reach of little hands!
blandino 09:06 PM 03-12-2013
Luckily the toilet is all plumbed out and should be easy to put in.

I didn't see anything about floors in the video?
Maybe it was a different video - I thought I was sending the right one. I will try and find the one I was talking about. My internet was being funny when I wrote that, so I didn't watch the whole video.
just_peachy 06:05 AM 03-13-2013
Long-term I think having a full kitchen and even a full bathroom downstairs would be most beneficial in a number of ways. After the daycare days it could be a mother-in-law suite or a rental property. Or if you sell before then, having a separate attached "apartment" would bring in more buyers.

I'm so jealous of you guys with basements! I wish it were possible to add one on!
butterfly 07:15 AM 03-13-2013
Thanks for the flooring links. One of my neighbor's had me come look at her carpet squares. I'm not sure if she just didn't do a good job installing, but you can definetly see that it is carpet squares and not continuous carpeting. Can you see the lines on your carpet? Also, I have 700 ft of flooring to carpet, would this be doable?
In most spots, no, you can't tell it's carpet squares. The ones I used are the plushest squares I could find at the time. I spent extra time installing them to make sure I had them nice and tight together. The only spots you can really tell they are squares is where the kids figured out they could pull them up. This has only happened twice, but when I put them back down it didn't look as nice as it originally was. They stay put when I vacuum, they are great. You could easily do 700+ feet. It goes pretty quick once you get started. With the plush squares you have to follow the arrows on the back of the squares so the carpet will all lay the same way. You can do it. This was my first flooring experience ever and it was easy!!
daycarediva 07:30 AM 03-13-2013
My husband is a plumber, and the really expensive issue with putting a toilet in a basement is that the piping/installation is a PITA! It has to be elevated and have a pump because the waste is usually lower then the sewer line on your house.

We installed this in our basement, the system was around $1000, toilet not included. We purchased a really good quality toilet as well (ours is Kohler, low flow and flushes a bucket of golfballs) So just for the toilet, it was around $1500 and my dh did all of the labor.

Is your basement already finished and you are doing a remodel or are you framing it to suit your needs?
daycarediva 07:33 AM 03-13-2013
nevermind, just saw that you said the toilet is all plumbed out- ignore my post!

Dh just went on a call yesterday to a house that the dh installed a full bathroom in the basement and kept getting poop backflowing into the toilet. No pump. LOL!
Scout 07:54 AM 03-13-2013

I love your garage playroom!! Great color scheme with the bright blue and white!
MNMum 11:38 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
nevermind, just saw that you said the toilet is all plumbed out- ignore my post!

Dh just went on a call yesterday to a house that the dh installed a full bathroom in the basement and kept getting poop backflowing into the toilet. No pump. LOL!
So as far as "all plumbed" out, I think that it is? We are new to this, I'll make sure my husband does all his research before he installs the toilet. We just built a house a little over a year ago (by we I mean "Ryland Homes"). So the basement was set up very well, ready to be finished. We were even able to get design and electrical plans from our builder which was great!
Rubysmom 12:58 PM 03-13-2013
We just finished our newer home's basement as daycare space, but thinking about future living space also. It would have cost to much for us to vent a stove and we would have had to jump thru hoops with the city. We opted for a kitchenette with frig, dishwasher, sink, micro and toaster oven. I also have an electric griddle for grilled sandwiches and pancakes. There isnt much I cant cook down here even noodles, premade casseroles and rice.

We bought a whole wall of stock cabinets from Lowes and I still had to buy a free standing island thing from Ikea for more storage and counter space.

The bathroom has a toilet, pedestal sink and bathtub/shower for cleaning toys and kids. Under the stairs is the bathroom closet. I can store vacuum, carpet cleaner and lots of supplies under there.

We did heated tile by sliding door to backyard and bathroom, pergo in kitchen and carpet in play area. My husband did all the work and we have a friend who lays carpet, so we didnt pay for labor. I wont be much help on cost.
CrackerJacks 08:21 PM 03-13-2013
Thank You! The only things I wish I had in the garage were central heat (since it is a detached garage there is no forced air) I just use space heaters, an insulated ceiling and a portable sink...I hope to at least get the sick and ceiling in the next few yrs.

Originally Posted by Scout:
I love your garage playroom!! Great color scheme with the bright blue and white!

itlw8 08:10 AM 03-14-2013
I would add as many cabinets as you can. You may need them for the kitchen but they are perfect for art supplies and things you need close but not in reach of the children.

I love my oven in my kitchen but it does not raise taxes here.
OUR smll bathroom has a shower. We need it for a second bathroom but it also works for kids that have accidents. I have hand held shower so it is easy to rinse them off. I also wash the dog there on weekends.

Our floor is not glamorus but heck we use it for childcare so I want it to clean easy when we eat and paint. We have those 12 inch Armstrong tiles not sure what the material is but the color goes all the way though. If I could I would have the old fashioned linoleum tiles.... I use some area rugs in areas like the block area so it is warm when they sit.
countrymom 08:22 AM 03-14-2013
I would def. put a shower because you never know.
Clara 06:25 PM 06-06-2013
Thanks for all the good ideas...
Currently I am waiting for the closing day of my new home.
The basement has a washer/dryer hook ups and nothing else but studs.
A full 1276 sq. feet of empty basement.
Under the stairs I will use for storage and can not count that as useable space.
I want to install a child friendly bathroom complete with shower.
So keep the ideas comming!

Thanks,
NannyC
jannereeves 01:27 AM 07-04-2013
Firstly choose a theme for the bathroom, preferably some playful themes and bright palettes. Most importantly use child-sized fixtures, as reaching sinks, climbing into deep soaking tubs are some of the biggest challenge for kids.
vaidehi2201 10:59 PM 07-16-2020
Hi,
I thing you can use vinyl flooring in kitchen as it is very durable and versatile. Vinyl comes in a wide range of colors and patterns that mimic hardwood, ceramics, and stone. The surface's elasticity and warmth make it comfortable to stand on, and plates, cups, and glasses often won't break when dropped. So for kitchen luxury vinyl flooring is one of the best option.
Tags:basement
Reply Up