Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Client Now Wants State To Pay
littlemommy 02:09 PM 06-09-2011
for daycare. She is a full-time student and is not working. Her son just started on Monday, and she hadn't said anything about involving the state until today.

I am licensed, but not set up to take state pay. I have had a bad experience in the past with the state people. I was watching a boy, and the state people were horrible when it came to communicating with me. Between that and the boy being a complete nightmare, it didn't work out. I termed within 3 days. After terming, I called the state lady to ask her if I could finish the paperwork so I can get paid for those days. She never returned my calls.

I'm not sure it would be worth it to me. The state pay is lower than what I charge, and I'm not sure if it is legal to ask the parents for the difference. I told the mom that I am not set up to take state pay, but she wanted my information anyways to see what she can do.
Cat Herder 02:14 PM 06-09-2011
I would just tell her how much you enjoyed working for her and ask her to let you know when her last day would be as soon as she knows.
grandmom 02:22 PM 06-09-2011
State pay is better than no pay. Do you need her income? She must pay for every day he is there that the state has not already approved. In my state, there is now a waiting list to even get on the program. So don't term her yet. She may not even qualify.
Cat Herder 02:40 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
She may not even qualify.
Yep. My last client who said this was here for 2 more years until it was time for Pre-k.
wdmmom 03:43 PM 06-09-2011
I REFUSE to take state pay. I would only get 50% of what my normal rate is.

No way am I working for $1.75 an hour! An open spot is better than a 50 hour a week headache and a check to frown about!
kimmi 04:39 PM 06-09-2011
i currently have 3 kids on state pay, 2 different families. I have had no problems with the state paying me. My check is always here. But I do charge the family what the state doesnt pay. I would never just work for what the state paid alone. Some parents wont get the 100% pay and some will, which is still lower than what I charge. Also, now parents have to report their hours too...........Sooooo, if they "forget" (which believe me happens more than you know) I do not get my check on time. In which case the parent will owe me full amount on payday and I will reimburse them when the check comes. =)
QualiTcare 07:52 PM 06-09-2011
i think what she did was smart. it might not be convenient for you, but it's obvious from your post, if she had told everyone when she was looking for daycare that she planned to have the state pay - she would've been shut down and forced to choose the provider who would take state pay instead of the provider she felt was best for her child.

i personally would give it a chance because it sounds like she's willing to do the work to make it work and pay out of pocket in the meantime. i have no clue, so i'm asking, could you run into "discrimination" issues if you tell her now after she brought up using childcare assistance that you won't keep her child?
PitterPatter 08:18 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
for daycare. She is a full-time student and is not working. Her son just started on Monday, and she hadn't said anything about involving the state until today.

I am licensed, but not set up to take state pay. I have had a bad experience in the past with the state people. I was watching a boy, and the state people were horrible when it came to communicating with me. Between that and the boy being a complete nightmare, it didn't work out. I termed within 3 days. After terming, I called the state lady to ask her if I could finish the paperwork so I can get paid for those days. She never returned my calls.

I'm not sure it would be worth it to me. The state pay is lower than what I charge, and I'm not sure if it is legal to ask the parents for the difference. I told the mom that I am not set up to take state pay, but she wanted my information anyways to see what she can do.
I have only state paid, not by choice though. I never have a problem getting the pay from the state but the small portion the parents are required to pay to me I sometimes have trouble getting. Whats sad is the smaller the amount the harder it is to collect because "it's such a small amount why does it matter when u get it" Uh huh! The state pay here is 20 per day for preschoolers and SA are $15 per day. Already low in my opinion.

Now don't get me wrong I have had a good family that was state paid too. never a problem and they were siblings. She had to quit her job a couple yrs ago and therefor no longer was elligible. We still talk and the kids hug me and my family when we see them at the store and such. So there are good state paid familes.

She may not even be able to get certified for it. I would think about it, check into it. Maybe your states have raised the rate. Wouldn't hurt to check. Good luck!
littlemommy 06:11 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i think what she did was smart. it might not be convenient for you, but it's obvious from your post, if she had told everyone when she was looking for daycare that she planned to have the state pay - she would've been shut down and forced to choose the provider who would take state pay instead of the provider she felt was best for her child.

i personally would give it a chance because it sounds like she's willing to do the work to make it work and pay out of pocket in the meantime. i have no clue, so i'm asking, could you run into "discrimination" issues if you tell her now after she brought up using childcare assistance that you won't keep her child?
No, I couldn't get in trouble for it if I'm not signed up to do it. Just because I'm licensed doesn't mean I have to take state pay. That's a common misconception that people have.
littlemommy 08:31 AM 06-12-2011
So, I've read through some other threads, and it looks like there are other providers who charge the difference? My state's pay is $2.25/hr and I charge $2.50/hr. Would it be mean to also charge for the paid holidays that are stated in my contract? I don't want to scare her off. Maybe it'd be best to wait to mention that until we get set up through the state, so then she knows that they don't work off of MY policy, they are paying when he is in my care only.
Unregistered 09:18 AM 06-12-2011
I suppose it differs state to state, but here in California the state pays me my going rate and then charges the parents a co-pay. I have 3 children on 3 different state programs and for the past 25 years, I have always gotten my money on time. The only time I had a problem was last except last Sept. when the budget still hadn't been approved and my check with one agency was held up for several months. The programs here continue to be threatened due to cut backs, so my only issue is the uncertainty of losing all 3 children for this reason.
Tags:state funded, unstable pay
Reply Up