Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Parents Bringing Kids?
Unregistered 12:54 PM 11-29-2018
I hate illness, as I’m sure a lot of you do as well! Do you allow parents to bring their kids to daycare when they are sick? I.e stomach flu, influenza, strep throat? I have one family that has done it to me twice now, both times with me being caught off guard (dad drops off on moms day off and I say “oh wow I didn’t expect you girls today” and dad says oh we both have the flu and walks out immediately.) second time mom dropped off and was in pajamas (not uncommon for her as she takes “personal” days off work often and brings kids to daycare &#128580 and says oh man I think I have strep throat I’m going to go to the doctor. I know if I’m not comfortable about it I should have said something but I can never think of a response quick enough.
Ariana 12:58 PM 11-29-2018
I don’t exclude for parents or sibling symptoms or illness. I only exclude if the kid in my care is sick. In my opinion parents are entitled to sick days and they obviously need care for their kids when they get sick. I have had kids in care many many times when parents or sinlings have been sick and the kid in my care has not gotten sick.
Blackcat31 01:25 PM 11-29-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I don’t exclude for parents or sibling symptoms or illness. I only exclude if the kid in my care is sick. In my opinion parents are entitled to sick days and they obviously need care for their kids when they get sick. I have had kids in care many many times when parents or sinlings have been sick and the kid in my care has not gotten sick.
I don't exclude for sick parents either.
I do however, ask that my families inform me of any severe or contagious illnesses that occur in the home but mostly for informational purposes so I can keep an eye out for symptoms with DCK's.

I do include in my illness policy that if Influenza (actual flu not stomach flu etc) is present in the home to keep ALL family members home. This is mostly due to Influenza being so serious and because I do have people within daycare that have compromised immune systems.

Thankfully I haven't had any issues with parents not following my illness polices or not being respectful of everyone's health.
LittleExplorers 05:56 AM 11-30-2018
I do exclude all for influenza. My son has asthma so it can be very bad for him. I know that not all families will pass it between each other, but it isn't worth the added risk for me.
Unregistered 09:10 AM 11-30-2018
Honestly, it pisses me off when parents bring me their kids when they are off work for ANY reason, even illness. I have my own kids. When I am sick I suck it up and carry on.
Jupadia 01:02 PM 11-30-2018
I have no issue if parent / sibbling is sick and wants to bring their little one still. They are after all paying for care and their child that's coming is not sick. Same for if they drop off on a day off. Yes do I wish at times that they stay home, yes a part of me dose cause it makes a day easerir if one less kid is here (some more then others). I understand wanting te rest without little one under foot. I know I've had to watch my own kids when sick and have peaty much just sat them in front of the tv. I would have loved to have sent them to daycare and gotten true rest and have had them have the opportunity to play without tv and with friends instead.
MarinaVanessa 02:27 PM 11-30-2018
I don't tell parents they can't come in when they themselves are sick since adults are pretty good about covering their coughs and washing hands etc.

I also don't exclude kids just because their parents are sick, or one sibling if the other is sick. I'm good about cleaning and disinfecting so on very rare occasions does a healthy child spread illness here even when a parent or sibling sick at home. If that child gets sick too and shows symptoms of exclusions then that child stays home.

It's hard to say exactly where an illness came from because in all honesty germs are everywhere especially during this time. Last week one DCG stayed home with pink eye and her sister still came. No one else here got it and had they I wouldn't have blamed DCG, there is a small outbreak right now so it could have easily been brought from school by one of my own kids. Same goes for flu, strep, colds etc.

I only exclude when the child him/herself has symptoms for exclusion.
Josiegirl 02:19 AM 12-01-2018
I understand when dcps need to drop off their kids when they are sick themselves. It happens often. But I did have 1 dcd who dropped off a dd from school and gave his other dd hugs/kisses while he was here, plus he's running through dc handing all the dcks a doritos chip. THAT made me angry. But did I have the guts to speak up and stop him? No.
BrynleeJean 09:57 AM 12-02-2018
Ooo that would make me nervous.
I don't exclude for parents/family members of the child not in my care being sick. Though I do have a policy that states that if you knowingly bring that child into m childcare home sick its grounds for immediate termination. As well as dosing that child with fever reducers before care, and I watch for a spike in the middle of the day.
If the parent is really willing to risk not having childcare at all, then they'll test me.
But I'm pretty serious about that as kids of my own and don't want to be nursing them back to health while working or having to close without pay because of some inconsiderate family. R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Tags:sick parent
Reply Up