Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Totally Fed Up
melissa ann 05:37 AM 06-25-2010
Wed was kids last day for the week. G-pa "forgot" and didn't have money. He said he would be here yesterday. (of course, yesterday was payday for him) well, around 2pm we had a bad storm and lost power. My mom stopped by after work to see what we were doing for supper since we have an electric stove and she has gas. So my kids went with her and I stayed because g-pa said he was coming. Well, 5 pm came. Now this week is also vacation bible school at my church and I"m a crew leader and my kids go their classes. So I have to be there by quarter of 6. I called g-pa, he kept saying hello like he couldn't hear. I'm doubting that. But whatever. I thought I heard kids in the background. So I called his daughter. She said that he couldn't get money out of the atm because of the power outage. he'll be here friday. I was torked off. I told her, I waited for him and that I could have had supper at my mom's since we have no power and now it's too late because I have to get to church. NOrmally he gets the money out at the bank from the big, well known store where he works. That is like 40 mins away from here. Not sure how far the outage went. But he said before if he uses the atms here in town he gets charged for it that's why he uses the bank at the store where he works. I really, really want to say, good riddance. I'm at the point where I don't care anymore.
AfterSchoolMom 06:25 AM 06-25-2010
Melissa Ann, if I were you I'd have terminated this family six months ago! Do yourself a favor and get rid of them ASAP - you'll feel the weight of the world lifted off of your shoulders, I guarantee it!
nannyde 06:31 AM 06-25-2010
Grandpa's a tool. Either accept it or terminate.
kitkat 06:32 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Melissa Ann, if I were you I'd have terminated this family six months ago! Do yourself a favor and get rid of them ASAP - you'll feel the weight of the world lifted off of your shoulders, I guarantee it!
I second that! This is such a crappy family that has jerked you around for so long.
katie 07:10 AM 06-25-2010
This is causing waaay to much stress...terminate!
melissa ann 07:17 AM 06-25-2010
They are my only family and I have been posting on craig's list and all over town. People in this area are dropping there rates. Which is crazy. We are already low. I'm at $90/week. I seen an ad in the paper where this lady who always has an ad in, who used to charge $80/wk fulltime is down to $65! How insane is that?
momofboys 07:46 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
They are my only family and I have been posting on craig's list and all over town. People in this area are dropping there rates. Which is crazy. We are already low. I'm at $90/week. I seen an ad in the paper where this lady who always has an ad in, who used to charge $80/wk fulltime is down to $65! How insane is that?
Make sure you add those late fees on & DON'T TERMINATE until he is paid in full!
Golden Rule 08:14 AM 06-25-2010
I have been deliberating this in my head... I wish you could just tell them to go, but not paying your bills does not sound like it would work for you...

I hear what you are saying, completely. IMO typing up a letter explaining why effective immediately that payment is due ,upfront, at the beginning of the week. The decision may be made for you.

(Also, have you tried the local fitness clubs? I have, in the past, provided childcare for them. Was excellent money and did not trash my house Just tossing an idea out there...)

Hope things better for you, fast!!!
misol 08:17 AM 06-25-2010
Give grandpa an ultimatum!!! I think you said that he refused to a contract right? Well MAKE him sign it or tell him to hit the road. Create a contract for him with the following payment terms included: His payment will be the same amount every week whether the kids are there or not AND he pays in advance of care. Period. Tell him he can either take it or leave it. make sure to include when the payment is due by and what the late fees are in the contract.

Since he refused to sign contract with you in the first place then you have no obligation to give him any kind of notice. I would hand him the contract AND a termination letter at the same time on a Thursday. Tell him that you need the signed contract back by pickup tomorrow or services will not be available on Monday per the termination letter.

He is starting to stress ME out so I can only imagine what YOU are going through.

In addition to posting on craigslist, try responding to posts where parents are looking for care.
Lilbutterflie 09:01 AM 06-25-2010
Why is he even needing an ATM? Why not writing you a check? Did he previously have a bounced check?

I agree w/Misol. You may never get your late fees without a signed contract b/c he is not contractually obligated. Give him an invoice of the amount owed (including the late fees), and the contract and tell him you will not be providing care until contract is signed and you are paid in full. This just might make the decision for you.
melissa ann 10:36 AM 06-25-2010
he has the type of checking acct where you can only write so many checks in a month w/o a fee or something. I don't know. I didn't know banks still did that. I can write how many checks I want w/o any fees.
I have written a letter this morning saying about when payments are due, and if payments are not being paid by the due date, payments will be made in advanced of childcare. He owes $15 in late fees. Right now, my late fee is $5/day starting at 5:01 due date and inlcudes any/all days including day payment is made. My new handbook which starts Aug 1 it's going up to $10/day.
misol 12:10 PM 06-25-2010
he has the type of checking acct where you can only write so many checks in a month w/o a fee or something. I don't know. I didn't know banks still did that. I can write how many checks I want w/o any fees.
I have written a letter this morning saying about when payments are due, and if payments are not being paid by the due date, payments will be made in advanced of childcare. He owes $15 in late fees. Right now, my late fee is $5/day starting at 5:01 due date and inlcudes any/all days including day payment is made. My new handbook which starts Aug 1 it's going up to $10/day.
The handbook is all good and I have one too, but he needs to sign a contract!!!
melissa ann 02:29 PM 06-25-2010
okay. nobody showed up. DH went to their place. G-pa wasn't home. So he went to the daughter's apt. (they live in the same building) DH said that g-pa wasn't here yet and that I was irritated because payment was due Wed. then he never showed up yesterday and now today. Daughter said she didnt' hear from him and she still had her nephew. (the boy g-pa adopted) So she gave a check. Hubby came home, I went to the bank. Guess what? The check could not be processed at this time. So where is DH again? Back down to their place. DH even said that it's $15 more for being 3 days late, but when she wrote the check she didn't add that in.
Waiting for hubby to come back.
melissa ann 03:51 PM 06-25-2010
Well, hubby went down again, this time boyfriend gave a check. So I quick when to the bank, as soon as went around the corner to go in the drive through, they shut off the lights. UGH! We went and played in the yard. When we came back in there was a message from g-pa. So I tried calling him back, but he didn't answer. Not surprising. So hubby went back down and everybody was there. So hubby gave boyfriend his check back and I got cash. Who knows if the boyfriend's check would have went through. DH said that there should be $15 more for being late. Then g-pa said that he paid extra last week. Yes, he did. But it went towards what CCIS didn't pay. He owed $95 from May, he paid me $140 which was $22 more so I took that off the balance from the May balance. Which g-pa said to do. I didn't get *extra* money I asked dh if the kids were coming monday. He said they didn't say anything. I do have the schedule, everyday but thur.
professionalmom 05:33 PM 06-25-2010
It is so nice to see that there are other DC husbands out there that will fight for us. My husband has done the running for me too. Especially since I am often tethered to the house with children. DH even went to a former clients work to give her a packet of info which included invoices (bills), letter from me, letter asking her to not contact me anymore (she was harassing me), etc. He gets more worked up than I do when someone screws with me, because as he puts it, "their irresponsibility, arrogance, rudeness, and BS is costing us money" not just me (as the owner). It's almost like having my own bodyguard.
Tags:contract, grandparents, handbook, late fee, termination letter
Reply Up