Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Strangest Craigslist Ad
Silly Songs 10:30 AM 12-06-2015
I'm speechless !! Houston Craigslist, under childcare services, someone is offering to buy dirty diapers. Why ?? I can't even think of any scenario that isn't nefarious. Any normal guesses ?
Rockgirl 10:39 AM 12-06-2015
I've got nothing! 😳
spedmommy4 10:45 AM 12-06-2015
Gross! And no guesses here either . . .
Mad_Pistachio 10:55 AM 12-06-2015
um... home-made fertilizers?.. if we are talking poopy diapers, of course.
childcaremom 11:36 AM 12-06-2015
Omg. They can have the ones here for free!
Unregistered 11:40 AM 12-06-2015
As crazy and nasty as it sounds there are some people who enjoy smelling those. They featured one person on my strange addiction who like to sniff them gross.
Blackcat31 02:19 PM 12-06-2015
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
um... home-made fertilizers?.. if we are talking poopy diapers, of course.
Every golf course I've ever been on is fertilized with a low nitrogen fertilizer called Milorganite. It's made in Milwaukee Wisconsin and is made from human waste.
Josiegirl 02:26 PM 12-06-2015
Oh my...when you said strangest CL, I'm thinking it couldn't be that bad. Haha Wrong again!
Silly Songs 03:07 PM 12-06-2015
CL is entertaining and thought provoking reading if you have run out of books and magazines.
Thriftylady 03:50 PM 12-06-2015
I thought you couldn't make fertilizer with the waste of animals that eat meat. Learn something new every day I guess. Wish the person would have been around yesterday. I would have let them change my grandson once it was almost more than I could handle.
Unregistered 08:41 PM 12-06-2015
I have a few ideas of what this person in Houston could be using them for. For starters, wet diapers make outstanding fertilizer, especially for stubborn soil. (Dirty ones aren't really useful for this purpose, but if the term is being used to refer to any that are just used, it could be for this purpose.) Turning wet diapers into compost is very easy if you know how to do it.

Also the other unregistered user mentioned, (it wasn't me,) there are some people who enjoy smelling dirty/wet diapers. They're completely harmless (at least as harmless as any other group of people,) and just have a peculiar interest. To put it bluntly, they're interested in your garbage, not in your kids. (If anything, they're more likely to spot and report actual nefarious behavior as they don't want people conflating what they're interested in with something that's truly nefarious.) I'm also aware of people who use dirty (usually only wet, but sometimes ones with poop too,) diapers inside of a plastic bag to massage their feet with, and even some who just enjoy photographing them. (I'm not making that up, there are people who just enjoy photographing wet diapers.)

Additionally, it's worth pointing out that small-scale diaper recycling for wet diapers isn't that much more difficult than creating compost from wet diapers if you have the space and capabilities to do it. The biggest obstacle to such an initiative is usually having diapers to work with. Again, this doesn't explain why someone would want "dirty" (poop) diapers, but "dirty" could be used to describe any used diaper, and larger diaper recycling facilities can accommodate fecal material.

While I'm nowhere near Houston or Texas at all for that matter, I could definitely put a bag of wet diapers to good use. Maybe I should see if someone in the middle of NJ is willing to let me have some.
midaycare 08:45 PM 12-06-2015
I'm just going to say if they didn't say why: it's for a weird reason.
Unregistered 08:52 PM 12-06-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I'm just going to say if they didn't say why: it's for a weird reason.
I think I found the ad, the first sentence of it reads as follows: "Yes that's right help the environment and make money."

It sounds to me like a small scale recycling/compost operation of some sort, at least based on the context of the ad.
Mom2Two 01:53 PM 12-07-2015
Human waste is not safe for fertilizer unless it has been properly treated--like at a county sanitation facility. It's unlikely that someone could use it safely from home.
Blackcat31 02:30 PM 12-07-2015
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Human waste is not safe for fertilizer unless it has been properly treated--like at a county sanitation facility. It's unlikely that someone could use it safely from home.
Using human waste as fertilizer has become a very common thing.

There are TONS of articles about it on the web.

Here is one example: http://www.motherearthnews.com/organ...mgz11zrog.aspx
Unregistered 02:19 PM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
While fecal matter needs to be treated, urine does not as it's largely comparable to sweat, and (assuming it's from someone whose not ill,) effectively harmless. Ask most doctors and they'll tell you that realistically it's not even necessary to wash ones hands after urination even though most people do so out of force of habit or as a result of company policies. Fecal matter is an entirely different story, and while it does need to be treated, in small quantities steam or boiling water can do the trick, and if you're making fertilizer from diapers, boiling water has the added benefit of making it easier to extract the absorbent material from the diaper, which works wonders as a fertilizer.
mamamanda 04:27 AM 12-10-2015
All I can picture is Matt Damon in the Martian growing potatoes in his own crap.
MarinaVanessa 11:10 AM 12-10-2015
I'm finding the idea of using human waste as fertilizer a VERY interesting concept considering that I always thought that human waste was toxic to plants and animals/people. Science is AMAZING!
Unregistered 10:21 AM 01-26-2018
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Omg. They can have the ones here for free!
I know this is an old thread and I’m not anywhere near Houston, but if you or anyone else is ever serious about offering dirty diapers I’m happy to leave some contact information for you to reach me at here.
Unregistered 08:26 AM 01-27-2018
They've made it illegal here in Alabama for anyone to use human waste for fertilizer because of the risks associated with it
hwichlaz 10:33 AM 01-27-2018
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I thought you couldn't make fertilizer with the waste of animals that eat meat. Learn something new every day I guess. Wish the person would have been around yesterday. I would have let them change my grandson once it was almost more than I could handle.
Are most babies mostly on milk? Even toddlers don't generally eat lots of meat.
Tags:craigslist oddities
Reply Up