Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Relative Drop-In's
greenhouse 10:25 AM 06-14-2011
Do you all have a policy regarding family of DCK's dropping in to visit? DCM called yesterday letting me know a family member was "on the way" to visit. I said it wasn't a good time since he was just about to get his nap. True, and holy cow I've got everyone on schedule right now- the thought of getting off schedule. I don't want to seem shady about family members visiting, but why don't they watch DCB if they have all this free time? How can I stop this without appearing like I'm hiding something by not wanting pop-in's?
littlemissmuffet 10:30 AM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by greenhouse:
Do you all have a policy regarding family of DCK's dropping in to visit? DCM called yesterday letting me know a family member was "on the way" to visit. I said it wasn't a good time since he was just about to get his nap. True, and holy cow I've got everyone on schedule right now- the thought of getting off schedule. I don't want to seem shady about family members visiting, but why don't they watch DCB if they have all this free time? How can I stop this without appearing like I'm hiding something by not wanting pop-in's?
Here, there is NO picking up or dropping off during nap times or meal times... and certaintly no visiting
DCPs and DCFs are welcome to drop in and "visit" any time they like outside of nap/meal times... but they're taking home little Johnny or Sally when they leave

Disrupting my day or ANY of the DCKs' day isn't happening, and all my families know this - it isn't shady, it's common sense.
morgan24 10:47 AM 06-14-2011
I would of said Sorry I don't allow visiting, but I will get him ready and they can pick him up and take him with them. I would make it clear to them at when you see them next that you don't allow visiting for the safety and privacy of the other children in your care, but that if they want to visit with him, to just call and you will have him ready for them to pick up. I think that is rude for her to call and let you know a family member is on the way to visit, what would make her think that is okay?
Meyou 10:51 AM 06-14-2011
I don't have visiting either unless you want to take them when you go.
greenhouse 10:55 AM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I would of said Sorry I don't allow visiting, but I will get him ready and they can pick him up and take him with them. I would make it clear to them at when you see them next that you don't allow visiting for the safety and privacy of the other children in your care, but that if they want to visit with him, to just call and you will have him ready for them to pick up. I think that is rude for her to call and let you know a family member is on the way to visit, what would make her think that is okay?
It was the family member who was like " well I'm just driving over there" DCM just happened to call and give me the heads up and apologized. I think I will just add this into my contract that drop-ins are never okay unless it is a pre-approved pick up. There are 2 family members who want to visit and I have a feeling this is going to be an issue to deal with.
wdmmom 11:00 AM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Here, there is NO picking up or dropping off during nap times or meal times... and certaintly no visiting
DCPs and DCFs are welcome to drop in and "visit" any time they like outside of nap/meal times... but they're taking home little Johnny or Sally when they leave

Disrupting my day or ANY of the DCKs' day isn't happening, and all my families know this - it isn't shady, it's common sense.
I couldn't have said it better myself! This is the exact same policy I have!

I don't know these relatives from Adam. They aren't coming up into my house unless they are authorized on the pick up form and if they are, they're taking whoever they are visiting home with them!
cheerfuldom 11:42 AM 06-14-2011
I don't allow any of that type of visting. I don't want strangers around my kids or the other daycare kids not to mention the disruption. If a family member wants to visit, they can come pick up the child for the day (with parents approval)
Mom_of_two 11:48 AM 06-14-2011
I don't allow any visitors during DC hours.
MarinaVanessa 02:35 PM 06-14-2011
I blame licensing. I say that due to licensing regulations I can't allow anyone other than a parent or guardian to come in to my daycare because they have not been fingerprinted or tested for TB and have not been approved by licensing to be present when other children are in my care.

Here (CA) only parents and guardians can be here during DC hours. I'm thinking about hiring a housekeeper to come bi-weekly and even then she can't come into direct contact with the kids while she's cleaning. We would have to play outside while she's cleaning our downstairs and once she moves upstairs we can move back in.
KEG123 02:38 PM 06-14-2011
Ugh! How rude! I really have no idea how I would handle it, but I'd probably say something like "Sorry, I cannot have anyone in my house that I have not met" because really, that's what it boils down to. Little Timmy's Uncle Fred may be a pedo, but how would you know? Not taking that chance! On the other hand, if I have a written permission slip, uncle fred can come pick up.
Cat Herder 02:31 PM 06-15-2011
I would say "Awesome!! I will have him/her ready to go.". "What is the adults name and DOB so I can check their drivers license??"

They can visit their child anytime they like, they just have to take them with them when the go.

I also do not allow unrelated adults to disrupt the rest of the group.
Tags:drop in - relatives, drop in care, relatives
Reply Up