Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Here's A Crazy Request For You!
cheerfuldom 12:28 PM 07-18-2012
A mom emailed me about holding a spot for an infant to start Oct. of 2013....thats right folks, over a year from now.....because....the baby is not even conceived yet! awwwww! this is just craziness. she is completely clueless because clearly she knows nothing about how long it can take to conceive a child or how daycare works at all. She wants someone to commit to holding a spot for 14 months assuming that she will get pregnant this month. ummmm, no!

I sent back a polite reply saying that I do not commit so far in advance and suggestions she wait to search for daycares until she has a start date firm to begin care. Even then, most daycares here do not hold spots for free and certainly not for over a year.
countrymom 12:40 PM 07-18-2012
now thats funny!
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 07-18-2012
I would have said "Sure! My fees for holding a spot are $200 per week."

If she paid, then yah for me!
Meyou 01:12 PM 07-18-2012
Hahahaha! That made me giggle and I've had an awful day so I needed it. Mama is going to have a rude awakening when she learns that NOTHING with babies can be scheduled like that. lol
AmyLeigh 01:51 PM 07-18-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would have said "Sure! My fees for holding a spot are $200 per week."

If she paid, then yah for me!

Hey, at least that's better than "I'm going back to work tomorrow, can you take little Johnny?". Can't say this mom isnt planning ahead!
momma2girls 02:08 PM 07-18-2012
I hold a spot for one week pay per month.
MsMe 02:17 PM 07-18-2012

I have had this exact thing happen to me.

I told her the same thing.

She called back a month or so later and tells me "happened first try !!! We're expecting!!"

I told her call me after baby is born and we'll see what I have.

Her THIRD child will be starting with me in the Fall when she is three months old

P.s. all her babies were first tries....lucky lady
cheerfuldom 03:18 PM 07-18-2012
I sent back a polite and informative reply because I really hate for moms to get "no" over and over without some sort of explanation about why people may be saying no. Explained how providers locally approach holding spots, infant spots, etc.

Apparently, she thought she forwarded my email to a friend and wrote "what should I say to her, she was rude to me" but instead of sending to a friend, she replied to me!

So I replied basically "I am sorry you thought I was rude to you but I was just trying to help. Best wishes as you add to your family and continue your daycare search" that way she knew that a friend did not get that email.

whatever....I was trying to help and she was rude so I dodged that bullet.
Hunni Bee 03:20 PM 07-18-2012
The baby....isnt...conceived yet?

That's a level of dodobrain I'm not familiar with yet.

I guess I'll go enroll my not-conceived-yet child in Kindergarten for the fall of 2018 then....
cheerfuldom 03:31 PM 07-18-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
The baby....isnt...conceived yet?

That's a level of dodobrain I'm not familiar with yet.

I guess I'll go enroll my not-conceived-yet child in Kindergarten for the fall of 2018 then....
ha! well my husband said why dont we make an offer on a huge house and say "well we cant afford it know but we might win the lottery any day!"...see how that goes over
Meyou 05:43 AM 07-19-2012
I saw a local ad today for someone looking for Jan 2014 care! They're 2 months along and want to book a spot now because they heard they go fast!
crazydaycarelady 06:33 AM 07-19-2012
I had the same thing recently. They were not preggo yet, then of course had the 9 month gestation, then mom gets to take baby to work until it's 6 months old. So she was looking for care 15+ months away. I think I will have an opening then so I said sure, dcm is currently about 5 months pregnant. I don't mind the advance arrangements and they are past clients so I know it'll work out.
cheerfuldom 07:26 AM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I had the same thing recently. They were not preggo yet, then of course had the 9 month gestation, then mom gets to take baby to work until it's 6 months old. So she was looking for care 15+ months away. I think I will have an opening then so I said sure, dcm is currently about 5 months pregnant. I don't mine the advance arrangements and they are past clients so I know it'll work out.
well past clients is a totally different scenario I think
Country Kids 07:33 AM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I had the same thing recently. They were not preggo yet, then of course had the 9 month gestation, then mom gets to take baby to work until it's 6 months old. So she was looking for care 15+ months away. I think I will have an opening then so I said sure, dcm is currently about 5 months pregnant. I don't mine the advance arrangements and they are past clients so I know it'll work out.
What happens if you won't have an opening?
crazydaycarelady 07:37 AM 07-19-2012
It's so far in advance that I have time to plan for it. I'll have a couple of kids leaving for kindy and the babies I have now will be 2yo by then.
crunchymama 07:37 AM 07-19-2012
One of my current DCMs (currently state subsidy) asked yesterday what my rates would be in 2.5 years when she graduates college and gets a job and could she "lock-in" my current private pay rate now for the future. Umm..no.
familyschoolcare 08:50 AM 07-19-2012
I have had similiar question over the phone and I say there is a $50 a week no refundable holding fee. When asked what the weekly rate is I quote the curent rate and say now that $50 a week does not go towards any of that. So far no one has taken me uo on it.
Half-Pint Hide-Out 09:24 AM 07-19-2012
I've had families that were already in my care ask when I would have infant openings befor they start trying so that they would be sure to have care when the baby is born, but I've never had a random person call me thar far in advance..that's just crazy!
cheerfuldom 03:39 PM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by crunchymama:
One of my current DCMs (currently state subsidy) asked yesterday what my rates would be in 2.5 years when she graduates college and gets a job and could she "lock-in" my current private pay rate now for the future. Umm..no.
ha! thats funny.
Reply Up