Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Pee Trained" but not Poop Trained?
Abigail 11:24 AM 10-30-2012
One of my two year olds has been in underwear here for 2 months because he always goes pee in the toilet, but once or twice a week he poops while in daycare and will not even try to poop in the toilet. He is here part time and does this at home as well but I talk to his parents trying different things and I talk to the boy every half-hour to an hour to make sure he doesn't go in his pants and nothing seems to work.

After he does it he asks for a diaper (usually) even though he already went and if he wears a diaper he'll go in it and ask for a new diaper. I just don't get it. Once a few weeks ago he waited until his friends tattled on him as he didn't want to tell me he went poop.

I want to talk to his parents again today but I'm not sure what to do. I honestly like that he wears underwear because he can take them on and off, it is just once or twice a week that he does the poop and I would rather not have to bend over everytime he goes the bathroom to help with a diaper. I'm 6 months pregnant and my energy is wearing down.

Has anyone else had this experience about the fear to poop in the potty? He has done it ONCE at grandma's last month and talks about it like he already did it so he doesn't have to do it again, lol. Any advice thanks! He is an older 2 year old and very capable of knowing when he went also.
SilverSabre25 11:30 AM 10-30-2012
Unfortunately I don't have much advice, as my kiddos have been poop trained before pee trained!
Childminder 11:37 AM 10-30-2012
I have a 3.5 yr old dcg that has been peep trained for almost a year but still poops her pants. She doesn't do it here though, she waits till she gets home and goes to a corner of her bedroom and poops. I keep telling her parents that they need to put her on the pot as soon as she gets home and make her sit till she does it each day. I think 3-4 days of doing that would make up for months of cleaning $#!TTy pants.

I've had others that are afraid of the poop in the toilet and it is not that unusual, something that usually takes some patience but this long is ridiculous.
Abigail 02:18 PM 10-30-2012
I am thinking about using candy as a reward for him if the parents have done it. It worked for the other child who the parent recommended it and they only get it the first few times then they're "big" and don't need anymore candy. LOL. I normally don't bribe, but I want to try something at least as long as the parents are on board. Besides they are the ones doing laundry, but I definitely want to help speed up the process if possible.
itlw8 02:23 PM 10-30-2012
dgd got a fire truck whn she stopped pooping in hr pants. thn sh started again so the firetruck went on top of the fridge. She never pooped in her pants again and got the truck back`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
daycare 02:26 PM 10-30-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I am thinking about using candy as a reward for him if the parents have done it. It worked for the other child who the parent recommended it and they only get it the first few times then they're "big" and don't need anymore candy. LOL. I normally don't bribe, but I want to try something at least as long as the parents are on board. Besides they are the ones doing laundry, but I definitely want to help speed up the process if possible.
I have one who is like this too, except she is 4. She will not poop in the toilet at all. I still make her wear a pull up because she has multiple poops a day that are huge.

Don't flame me, but this is what I do. At this age, she can be more than responsible for her actions. So when she has an accident, I assist her in changing herslef. She does not seemed bother by it at all. I don't say anything other than. Lets make sure that we listen to our body next time.....BUT Still that is not even working.

One thing that I have noticed however, is that I hear the DCD tell her over and over again don't poop in your pants, poop in the toilet. She also will not tell me when she has gone poop in her pants and will lie about it. I feel that the reason that she is lying to me about it, is because she is told "DON'T poop in your pants, and then she just did something she was told not to do. It then carries on to daycare, at the age of 4 she can remember that her dad told her NOT to poop in her pants.

I have been working with this girl for a year and there has been very little progress made. In this case, it is becuase the parents are not working on it at home.
jenn 06:51 PM 10-30-2012
My daughter was the same. She was pee trained for over a year before she would poop in the toilet. She did not ever have poopy accidents, she would go put on a pull up, go, and then assist with her clean up (like wiping). She would try to go on the toilet, but just couldn't. After speaking with her GI doctor (she has liver issues) he explained that some children have more trouble pushing while sitting and find it easier to go while standing. He had us keep a step stool under her feet as she sat on the toilet so that she could push down with her feet while sitting. We spent a few days doing that and giving her extra fiber making it easier for her to go and learn the muscles to use. She was 100 percent trained after that and never has been in a pull up since.
tenderhearts 08:59 AM 10-31-2012
This is the issue I've had with a few of my dck as well as my own son. I don't know what it is or why they seem to be "afraid" to poop in the potty. My own son just didn't like pooping anywhere else but at home.
JenNJ 09:20 AM 10-31-2012
"Pee Trained" but not Poop Trained = NOT TRAINED

I would insist on a Pull Up/diaper for daycare. that way he can go pee when he wants to but the protection is there for when he decides to poop. It is completely unsanitary any other way.
Abigail 04:38 PM 10-31-2012
I'm still not sure what to do. I don't want to do diapers like I said, but I am willing to try a candy reward for two weeks which is 4 days in attendance and then I suppose afterthat I will say he needs to wear diapers. The only downfall is he goes to another daycare as well and is allowed to wear his big boy underwear their and the same happens just sends home the dirty underwear each day.
daycare 04:52 PM 10-31-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I'm still not sure what to do. I don't want to do diapers like I said, but I am willing to try a candy reward for two weeks which is 4 days in attendance and then I suppose afterthat I will say he needs to wear diapers. The only downfall is he goes to another daycare as well and is allowed to wear his big boy underwear their and the same happens just sends home the dirty underwear each day.
I think the fact that he is in two different places could be the issue. how confusing is that??
Tags:poop, potty trained - not, potty training, scared of toilet
Reply Up