Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sensitive Child
CountryRoads 10:05 AM 03-01-2019
Dcb2 is very sensitive. He doesn't like participating in crafts or activities. For example, when I gave him a crayon to color, he starts crying and refuses to participate. We tried to do a tracing activity yesterday, so I put a marker in his hand and instantly started crying. All of the kids love Play-Doh but he will not touch it. Just sit there with a sad look on his face. He also wimpers when washing his hands and hates when his sleeves are rolled up.

He loves free play though and is happy once he gets away from the table. I can't force him to participate, but it's frustrating. I have fun crafts planned and the other kids enjoy it and love taking them home, but this one child just seems miserable the whole time.

Do I just let him go free play the whole time? Is there any other way I can help him not be so upset about activities?
Blackcat31 10:14 AM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
Dcb2 is very sensitive. He doesn't like participating in crafts or activities. For example, when I gave him a crayon to color, he starts crying and refuses to participate. We tried to do a tracing activity yesterday, so I put a marker in his hand and instantly started crying. All of the kids love Play-Doh but he will not touch it. Just sit there with a sad look on his face. He also wimpers when washing his hands and hates when his sleeves are rolled up.

He loves free play though and is happy once he gets away from the table. I can't force him to participate, but it's frustrating. I have fun crafts planned and the other kids enjoy it and love taking them home, but this one child just seems miserable the whole time.

Do I just let him go free play the whole time? Is there any other way I can help him not be so upset about activities?
He's 2. He should be free playing only.
Structured activities for a two year old is like trying to bathe a cat.

His reaction/behavior is trying to tell you what HE needs.

You'll both be much happier and less stressed if you just let him play. Learning can happen through play too!
CountryRoads 10:18 AM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
He's 2. He should be free playing only.
Structured activities for a two year old is like trying to bathe a cat.

His reaction/behavior is trying to tell you what HE needs.

You'll both be much happier and less stressed if you just let him play. Learning can happen through play too!
Everyone is different I suppose. I have 2 other 2 year olds that love to color and play with Play-Doh. Hopefully with time he'll participate a little more.
Cat Herder 10:20 AM 03-01-2019
At two most of my kids love finger paints, splat/blotter paints, crushing chalk with water and smearing it on the pavement, really just the messy stuff.

Occasionally I'll have one that is drawn to the crayons and colored pencils at the art table, but they are usually closer to age three or shadowing an older sibling.

That said does this child present any other sensory type aversions? Is he meeting his milestones?
e.j. 10:30 AM 03-01-2019
I offer a planned craft activity every day. If the kids want to participate, great! If they don't want to, I allow them to play in the playroom. At 2, some kids really get into the planned activities and love coloring, painting, etc. Others have no interest in it at all. Usually they come around once they see the other kids having fun doing the crafts.
CountryRoads 10:31 AM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
At two most of my kids love finger paints, splat/blotter paints, crushing chalk with water and smearing it on the pavement, really just the messy stuff.

Occasionally I'll have one that is drawn to the crayons and colored pencils at the art table, but they are usually closer to age three or shadowing an older sibling.

That said does this child present any other sensory type aversions? Is he meeting his milestones?

He was a late walker, but still within the "normal" range. He does tip-toe a lot.

He also is a very picky eater. He usually won't eat any meat or veggies. I finally had to have him spit out the food that was in his mouth (for over an hour) before nap yesterday because he refused to swallow it.

I shouldn't compare him to my other kids his age, but I see such a difference which is why I guess I'm worried about it.
Hunni Bee 10:32 AM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

I agree, that sounds like some sensory aversions.
Ariana 10:49 AM 03-01-2019
In my experience some kids can be this way if they are sleep deprived as well. It is as if their brain cannot handle the sensory input because they are so tired. If he is getting enough sleep and is still like this it might be sensory processing disorder.
Jupadia 10:58 AM 03-01-2019
I've found some kids just dont like the structure activites. I've had some who hate craft time. I'll set them up and let them go. I've mentioned to parents in the past so and so dose not enjoy craft. Just so they know we do craft but their kids chose not to do it.
My own kid hated doing any thing that got his hands dirty. Not a fan of gluing, painting unless has brush, playing in things like shoving cream. As well he hated getting wet, his first day of Jr. Kindergarten he changed his shirt cause of a few drops of water. (God forbid he be wet). Had no sensory issues just did not like it.
At 2 I would not worry much and just encourage it but not push anything.
Cat Herder 11:00 AM 03-01-2019
Have his parents voiced any concerns?

How does he do with the sand and water table? How does he do with toys, active play or dumping, stacking, lining up?
Indoorvoice 10:51 AM 03-02-2019
This sounds like my sensitive little guy. He is also 2. I don't make him do anything. He is invited to do our more structured activities and he either comes or not. When parents ask why he doesn't bring things home, I tell him he didn't want to participate. They don't make him do anything he doesn't want to either, so why would I? I do believe in all free play but offer more structure for the kids that need it when I'm able to and leave it at that. I do see that his sensitivities hinder his skills in other areas. He would much prefer to nap all day or sit in one area and hold a block. I figure all I can do is let parents know and then they have to decide if they want to do something about it. As long as he is allowed to sit on his iPad all day at home and have everything done for him at home, my hands are tied here. I'm not going to stress him out by making him do things he doesn't want to do. He won't even walk up stairs without crying because he is used to being carried everywhere at home.
Tags:sensory food aversion, sensory processing disorder
Reply Up