Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Do You Allow Your Kids To Wrestle-Type Play?
cheerfuldom 09:37 PM 11-23-2011
do you let your kids wrestle, tickle, chase and such as long as everyone is having fun and no one is getting hurt? I realize that this would not be a good idea during daycare hours (and especially not with daycare kids) but what about your own kids? my two girls (2 and almost 4) have started doing this and I guess I dont see a problem with it....but maybe I should? They love to tickle and just laugh and roll all over each other like pups. Sometimes they do get poked or something but they always laugh it off and never seem to end the games with hurt feelings. My sister and I were really mean to each other from a very early age and I don't see this at all with them. Daddy is usually running around and playing too and I just hate to break it up if it really is just having fun. What do you allow with your kids?
AnneCordelia 09:40 AM 11-24-2011
I don't allow it here. I have 4 of my own children ranging from 1-8 years. The oldest is too heavy and strong to wrestle with the youngest and the two youngest don't understand about being gentle. So it was easiest just to ban that kind of play. There's no shortage of things to do though, or fun activities to enjoy with each other so I don't feel like they're deprived by not being allowed to wrestle.
Meyou 09:43 AM 11-24-2011
Mine do but with my dh. I don't allow the dck's to wrestle though. They are allowed to play chase outside.
Candyland 10:14 AM 11-24-2011
I don't know about daycare kids, but with my own, I did! I always thought it was important, esp for boys and was happy that Dr. James Dobson addressed the importance of it in one of his books.
kendallina 11:22 AM 11-24-2011
I think it's important to allow it (with your own kids). An interesting book to read is Big Body Play by naeyc. They actually advocate allowing your daycare kiddos to do it and I think with the right group, it could be okay. I have one child that I wouldn't feel comfortable allowing it with, though.

http://www.naeyc.org/store/node/17218
sharlan 11:26 AM 11-24-2011
I don't allow it with the daycare kids.

With my own, and with my grandkids, I do allow it until I see it escalating. Then I put a quick stop to it before somebody does get hurt. My 3 & 4 yo's love to chase each other until they fall into a heap on the carpet.
Alexmini 12:20 PM 11-24-2011
I wrestle with my kids all the time.
Unregistered 07:41 AM 11-27-2011
My own.........yes definately they wrestle with Dad even now as older kids lol. Daycare kids, absolutely not it always leads to injury and tears (I have all boys ages 3-5). Not allowed, they can have that kind of playtime at home with parents....
Christian Mother 04:31 PM 11-27-2011
Here in my home my children do and my husband loves to interact with them. I am in and out watching them though. Have to have a adult pair of eyes on them when there is rough play. My kids, if one get hurt the understand that rough play is just that...rough. So if they get hurt they learn quickly how to adjust and roll with the punches so to speak...I've never had either one get seriously hurt...I don't think either wants to get hurt so they know their limit.
I think their growing out of it now though as their getting older and are now outside chasing and playing...riding bikes together. I think when the kids hit a certain age they just grow out of it. As far as my daycare kids...I've let them horse around with pillows and the parents will watch while they have done this and neither of us felt uncomfortable with it. As long as an adult is keeping a watch then all is well. I just believe that is a healthy thing for kids to do. They've grow out of it eventually.
Heidi 07:37 PM 11-27-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I think it's important to allow it (with your own kids). An interesting book to read is Big Body Play by naeyc. They actually advocate allowing your daycare kiddos to do it and I think with the right group, it could be okay. I have one child that I wouldn't feel comfortable allowing it with, though.

http://www.naeyc.org/store/node/17218
I read a little of what I could on the NAEYC website. My problem is the age group I have. 15mo's don't understand subtle! If I allow any kind of "horseplay", it becomes a battle of details. It's ok to wrestle your twin, but not the other kid. It's ok to wrestle a pillow or blanket or the couch cushions, but not the dog....lol.."gentle...gentle hands..." and someone always ends up CRYING!

My dh is a very physical guy, and before he leaves for work each day, there is usually a short rough-housing period with the toddlers. They love, love, love him! I am such a prissy fun-spoiler the rest of the day!
SimpleMom 09:07 AM 11-30-2011
We wrestle at dc as well Only with proper supervision and if the kiddos keep it fairly low-key. Might be for a few minutes or so. I just redirect the play if it's beginning to get a little rough. I'm included in that play, so we learn how not to hurt eachother when we wrestle/chase/tickle,etc. They really laugh hard with that play and laughter is such a good thing!!!
jojosmommy 07:49 PM 12-05-2011
I allow it with my son. He and my DH wrestle every night when my DH gets home. First rule is to pick up all toys first (which solves the clean up battle). I think it is essential for boys especially to have this physical outlet in MN winters. I don't allow it with my daycare kids and am not comfortable with it happening at my SIL's house. Not regulated well there and someone always ends up hurt.
Tags:aggressive behavior, boys, hyperactive, wrestle
Reply Up